Info Why are tables not taught in OW classes anymore?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m certified and know it’s about 10m and 20m.

Would the size of your kings foot change things?
I would expect you to know something so basic. O que 'e "kings foot"? Do you mean the Imperial system of measurement? Imperial monarchs are emperors, not kings.

I would expect you to know something so basic. O que 'e "kings foot"? Do you mean the Imperial system of measurement? Imperial monarchs are emperors, not kings.
I bow to your superior knowledge.

Interesting where the Imperial system of measurement is still used.

I bow to your superior knowledge.

Interesting where the Imperial system of measurement is still used.
What are you talking about? What knowledge? Everyone knows that an emperor heads an empire, and that the Imperial linear foot is based on how far a one-legged frog can jump in a sand box. Interesting thing about the metric system, though is that it's so limited. Why do we have 7 day weeks, 60 minute hours, 60 second minutes, 12 month years, etc.? And why 2023? Jesus' birth certificate states that he was born in 3 BC. Couldn't those French revolutionaries have done a better job?

I've talked to certified divers who don't know that 33 feet is two atmospheres, 66 three, or what the computer is actually measuring.
All of that is supposed to be taught in the first part of the scuba class. Students should know all that long before they are taught either tables or computers.

How does learning tables teach you that 33 feet is two atmospheres?

All of that is supposed to be taught in the first part of the scuba class. Students should know all that long before they are taught either tables or computers.

How does learning tables teach you that 33 feet is two atmospheres?
It certainly does not. Just general knowledge that is not always there. In any case, people who live on the moon have a different perspective on the topic.

It certainly does not. Just general knowledge that is not always there. In any case, people who live on the moon have a different perspective on the topic.
That’s what altitude tables are for:wink:

The last set of tables I used had 4 different levels for altitude. These were based on atmospheric pressure, not on height above sea level. Caught us out once when a decent low came over and it dropped below 985mbar, putting us on to the next level of tables. There was a lot of drunken fishermen in the bar when we got back, the trawlers being in the harbour. Time for a new computer that automatically detects atmospheric pressure.

That’s what altitude tables are for:wink:

The last set of tables I used had 4 different levels for altitude. These were based on atmospheric pressure, not on height above sea level. Caught us out once when a decent low came over and it dropped below 985mbar, putting us on to the next level of tables. There was a lot of drunken fishermen in the bar when we got back, the trawlers being in the harbour. Time for a new computer that automatically detects atmospheric pressure.
The Sea of Tranquility is world renown.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom