Info Why are tables not taught in OW classes anymore?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the AI image generation sites gave me this for "donkey calculating with a slide rule"

View attachment 770172
Speaking of AI, here is what Skynet/ChatGPT says on the topic:

“Dive tables were once a standard tool for planning and conducting recreational scuba dives, but they have become less commonly used in recent years due to advancements in dive computer technology.

Dive tables are a set of printed tables that divers use to determine how long they can safely stay at a particular depth and how long they need to wait before flying in an airplane. These tables are based on the principles of decompression theory, which describes how gases dissolve and come out of solution in body tissues during and after a dive.

With the widespread availability and affordability of dive computers, which can measure depth, time, and calculate decompression limits in real-time, many scuba diving organizations have shifted their focus to teaching divers how to use dive computers instead of dive tables.

Dive computers are more accurate and convenient than dive tables, and they can provide real-time information about the dive, including depth, time, and remaining bottom time. Many dive computers also include safety features such as alarms to alert divers when they are ascending too quickly or nearing decompression limits.

As a result, many scuba diving organizations have revised their training materials to focus on dive computer use instead of dive tables. However, some dive training agencies still teach dive tables as a backup plan in case of dive computer failure or as part of more advanced dive training.”

Speaking of AI, here is what Skynet/ChatGPT says on the topic:

“Dive tables were once a standard tool for planning and conducting recreational scuba dives, but they have become less commonly used in recent years due to advancements in dive computer technology.

Dive tables are a set of printed tables that divers use to determine how long they can safely stay at a particular depth and how long they need to wait before flying in an airplane. These tables are based on the principles of decompression theory, which describes how gases dissolve and come out of solution in body tissues during and after a dive.

With the widespread availability and affordability of dive computers, which can measure depth, time, and calculate decompression limits in real-time, many scuba diving organizations have shifted their focus to teaching divers how to use dive computers instead of dive tables.

Dive computers are more accurate and convenient than dive tables, and they can provide real-time information about the dive, including depth, time, and remaining bottom time. Many dive computers also include safety features such as alarms to alert divers when they are ascending too quickly or nearing decompression limits.

As a result, many scuba diving organizations have revised their training materials to focus on dive computer use instead of dive tables. However, some dive training agencies still teach dive tables as a backup plan in case of dive computer failure or as part of more advanced dive training.”
At this point, we could all e learn for free just by asking nicely

You are very lucky because none of the three I ever had lasted more than 6-7 yrs.
They can fail anytime without any warning.
I definitely got my moneys worth.
I wouldn’t use it on any serious dive now, I just use it for 40’ or less shore dives where it doesn’t really matter if it craps out.
I’d like to change the battery but I hear they are oil filled and a real pain to change. There are tricky protocols where they can’t be completely disconected from one battery to the other without destroying the unit, so once they die they are pretty much done.
I don’t think they even sell them anymore.
Any wrist computer on gauge mode is the same thing.

I found a good similar example of tables vs computers.
One of these:
EDC80B85-0BCD-49A9-99C9-7DD94267FC73.jpeg

vs using GPS for ocean navigation.
GPS being the computer/digital version of the two.
Satellites can go down or your unit fries and you’re screwed.
This thing is mechanical thus not nearly as accurate down to the square meter, but at least you have a rough idea of where you are and can get to a port.

One of these:View attachment 770328
This thing is mechanical thus not nearly as accurate down to the square meter, but at least you have a rough idea of where you are and can get to a port.
Interesting sidebar to your example: you can't just pick up the sextant and figure out where you are...it needs other information and equipment (not to mention training and practice)...whereas the GPS will tell you where you are based on no knowledge on your part at all.

The abacus is still used, especially in certain Asian shops.
I once had a computer tech come to my desk to update my computer, and he saw this long case. He asked what it was, and I told him that was my backup in case the electricity went out. It held my slide rule. Here is a slide rule I've had for a while, a circular slide rule, which I wrote the different correction factors for various types of depth gauges. B. Gauge is a Bourdon tube depth gauge; Cap. Gauge is a capillary depth gauge. Take a look, as it is kinda interesting. Now, are those correction factors built into a computer's algorithm?

SeaRat

Attachments

• Circular Slide Rule001.jpg
    Circular Slide Rule001.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Circular Slide Rule002.jpg
    Circular Slide Rule002.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Circular Slide Rule003.jpg
    Circular Slide Rule003.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 42
One of these:View attachment 770328

This is a very good discussion of the sextant and Apollo missions.

They not only made it, but they in Apollo 13 came within 2 miles of their recovery ship

Now, that comment about always having a Plan B applies to divers too, hence tables or a backup computer. And, maybe a basic understanding of decompression tables and why they are the way they are.

SeaRat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom