Info Why are tables not taught in OW classes anymore?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manuals vs stick is a very poor analogy. It's actually backwards since a stick and a dive computer gives you more precise control than the alternatives.

A better analogy would be a slide rule versus a calculator. The calculator is faster and more precise while the slide rule doesn't require electricity and does require a greater understanding of the underlying mathematics.

IMO, tables should be used just about as much as slide rules are. Leave them for the vintage diving enthusiasts.

Imo if any of you try to equate diving to car transmissions you're going to lose a LOT of people🤣🤣

All analogies are flawed to some degree. I use a dive computer because it's more precise and requires less unnecessary effort. Still, I'm glad I'm familiar with the tables because I understand what the DC is doing and can contextualize its input. Understanding is invaluable; it's like knowing history, and consequently able to make one's own assessment of the news instead of just hearing things without any context. Understanding the tables and the science behind them should be taught and learned by all divers.

I drive a shift/clutch truck because it's more efficient and a lot more fun, except in heavy traffic. It enables one to understand what the gears and ratios are for instead of just pressing the pedal like an ignorant child.

I also drive a manual:)!;

Still can't figure out how this equates to tables vs dc's though..

Screenshot_20230217-122109_Gallery.jpg

Understanding the tables and the science behind them should be taught and learned by all divers.
I agree the science behind them should be taught and learned by all divers. It is a part of the OW standards for a reason. But you don't need to teach the tables to do it. IMO, the best use of them today is to illustrate the theory section by taking a quick look at the primary table to see how NDL time decreases with depth and why 40m is the practical limit for no deco diving.

I agree the science behind them should be taught and learned by all divers. It is a part of the OW standards for a reason. But you don't need to teach the tables to do it. IMO, the best use of them today is to illustrate the theory section by taking a quick look at the primary table to see how NDL time decreases with depth and why 40m is the practical limit for no deco diving.
The rudiments of the tables should be learned, though not to the thoroughgoing extent based on any expectation they will actually be used. I've talked to certified divers who don't know that 33 feet is two atmospheres, 66 three, or what the computer is actually measuring. I understand that my prejudice is based on having learned and used the tables and seen the development of the computer technology. I remember double checking the tables in my head while consulting early computers. I sometimes find myself still doing so.

Is it a manual though?

My last donkey was automatic.. I didn't care for it too much.
They still get you to the same place but with one of them you may forget why you’re going long before you arrive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom