Why are so many female divers codependent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RumBum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In my experience, it is really difficult to find female divers who are independent. The husband or boyfriend brings her into the shop, saying he wants her to learn to dive. The man picks out the gear. The man assembles the gear. The man carries the gear. I seen many women who have no idea how to put a reg on their tank. My husband has even had a male customer who is using his hoseless AI computer to moniter his wife's air while her computer was hooked on her ankle! :11:

How and why does this happen? Here are some of my observations/ theories:
-Dive gear is "mechanical" and most women tend to think that mechanics are Men's Stuff. The men continue this problem by assembling gear for women and even by doing things in the water like reaching out and inflating/ deflating the woman's BC for her and by adding and subtracting weight for her. Although women learn in class how to assemble their own gear (hopefully) they probably forget if it is always done for them after OW.
-Men want to protect their wives. We were all taught at a young age that the men are the Protectors. When women are diving, they become too protective and actually inhibit the female's independence.
-Women have a natural tendency to be more conservative than men. All extreme sports show an abundance of male participants. I guess this is an instinct we have evolved to stay alive and raise the babies; continue the human race. The men were the ones stupid enough to go chase mammoths with spears! We picked roots and berries. Anyways, this natural tendency toward conservatism is something we are trying to overcome by our participation in scuba diving.
-We don't look awesome with mask lines and snot on our lips. Lots of women don't want to be seen in a wetsuit. Well, they're just missing out, but honestly there are some women who are just too vain/ high maintenance for scuba.
-Many instructors do not encourage female independence. Often the husbands begin their overprotective, take-charge attitude in OW class and the woman never has a chance to learn to dive without him. He hovers over her, sets up her gear, and then pulls her around underwater. This is the same problem instructors have with parents and children - they need to seperate the spouses and keep them separated so the women can learn. We tried this method with a class recently and had success with the women being more independent and comfortable with their skills.

I don't think either sex is doing this purposefully, it is a cultural issue. We have been raised this way. But we need to break the mold. My husband is now going to seperate the men and women for every class until the last dive. I am seeking women to buddy up with. I am encouraging new girl divers to come out to the lake with me, without the spouses. I am thinking of setting up a Girls Only Dive Club. Would you believe, in my husband's last class, a poor girl had to ask him if she could dive with a tampon? She must have been so embarrassed! But that's something important that should be included in our dive training. Agency curriculum does not address Diving On Your Period or How To Fit Your Boobs In A BC. How can women learn to dive independently if the agencies, instructors, and diving community do not address our feminine needs?

As a woman diver I would probably fall into your co-dependent category. My husband sets up all of my gear and is more the lead during the dive. He has 30 years experience to my 2 years of experience. I am totally able to set up my own gear...but why? I will never dive without him and he enjoys taking care of those things. He also enjoys cooking...which I will never stand in his way on that either!

Its wonderful to dive with a man that is a strong capable diver that I can totally trust with my life. I know that when we are diving he is protective over me and will keep me safe.

Its not an issue of dependency...its just the way we do things and neither one of us is feeling a heavier burden because of it!

Hmmm...I guess I'm unusual!

I got into scuba diving, without the aid of a husband or boyfriend. I love the "gear" aspect of it! Of course, I like "extreme" sports...planning on taking skydiving lessons as soon as I can afford it (someday). I'm not all that into being conservative (ask anyone who's seen me drive my Miata) :D

I wonder if most of the women you see who are that codependent on their significant other, are only in the sport at the insistence of said significant other?
Generally, when people take a genuine interest in something, they get involved, learn about it, etc.

I know that my significant other would love for me to become involved with his hobbies, and I do, to a degree. I love to target shoot, but since scuba diving really does take all my available "hobby" money, he wound up purchasing my handgun. He's really into what I jokingly call "nerdy" hobbies such as miniature wargaming, computer games, and such...I do participate somewhat...if he tutors me on the rules, helps me out with each level, and so forth. When I tried to get him involved in scuba diving, I had to do the same thing for him (unfortunately, my efforts failed).

Had he decided to take up scuba diving, I'd have probably sherpa'd his gear for him, set up his BC and regulator, planned the dives, and had him follow me...for precisely the same reason you mentioned: I'm protective of him and don't want to see him get hurt, he's naturally a very cautious person and anything that could even be considered "extreme" isn't even on his radar, and he (bless his heart) isn't so good with mechanical stuff (I own the majority of household power tools).

When we were hunting for an instructor for him, I told him that I wasn't going to come along on his pool sessions, because I wanted him to learn how to set up his own gear and perform skills without me hovering (literally) over him.

Wow...after typing all that out...me and my significant other really have a role reversal thing going on about some stuff...cool beans.

Anyways...the woman that I've seen who genuinely love diving, take charge of their diving careers, and the ones who are tagging along due to a significant other's passion for diving, generally let their significant other take charge of things.

I see a lot of men who need a lot of help and I know quite a few women who know FAR more than I do.

In my classes we discussed diving during "periods" and how to configure gear to allow boobs to fit without undue pain and squeeze.

Maybe the female students in my class were more outspoken than average.

We even talked about gettin your gonads crushed from too small a wetsuit:11:

As another women diver, I guess in some ways I fall into the co-dependent category too. But, in other ways I don't. I set up my own gear and break it down at the end of the dive. I get my own gear out of the car and to the dive site as well. I can't carry my own tank when it's full because of a back injury that makes it hard to lift. I need help getting into and out of my gear for the same reason. Usually i do follow not just my husband but the whole group of guys that I dive with, expect for one. I like to take pictures and they get in my way. Generally I'm next to last in a line of 8-9. But, really I'm ok with that. They check to make sure I'm still back there. They don't leave me and I get an unobstructed picture. So, like I said I guess I am and I'm not. I wash all my own gear. Most of the time I'm the one who also brings the food. They set up everything for our surface stop.

I will agree that some girls are too "girly" but then there are girls that are just not strong enough. Or that have problems, like me. My husband and I have the same amount of experience, I work in a LDS, and I probably know moer about gear than he does. But, he is stronger. I don't know... it's not like I ask for everything, but a little boost of my gear doesn't really make me co-dependent does it?

I think there's a world of difference between codependancy and just needing some help with a tank...

At work, oftentimes, the firefighters will help lift patients. I used to insist on doing it without them (which meant coming home with a back strain more often than not!). Over time, as I got stronger, I became capable of lifting all but the heaviest patients...I also got wiser, and let the firefighters help in the lifting :D

Nothing wrong with asking (or accepting) help if needed (at least in my book!)

I've just put this to my wife.:D
I'm glad she doesn't fit thru a wireless connection,cause she believes.that IF you can't set up your own gear or need any help.YOU SHOULD NOT BE DIVING.I do agree with her on this.
During scuba classes it is NOT allowed to help,with the set up of gear.if you're beoynd OW and still can't do it.go play ping pong or something like it.

Its wonderful to dive with a man that is a strong capable diver that I can totally trust with my life. I know that when we are diving he is protective over me and will keep me safe.

Its not an issue of dependency...its just the way we do things and neither one of us is feeling a heavier burden because of it!

So diving is an affirmation of you trusting your life to your husband? Every time you go diving, he feels RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR LIFE. And somehow that's not going to be a burden to him??? Wow, I'd be all kinds of stressed out if I were him.

This dependency thing is irritating me now.

I know a diver down here in FL that is handicapped. He needs a little help with a few things, but is one of the better divers that I have had the fortune to dive with. Underwater He is just as able as anyone else.

Saying that if a diver can't do it all by himself they should not be diving is BS. BS I tell you.

This is just one example.

Another is a technical diving girl that is about 4'9 and very small. She has one heck of a time carrying her doubles. Don't get me wrong, she WILL try like hell, but she really needs a little help.

If a diver has the knowledge and abilities underwater - then a little help on the surface should not be held against them.

OK, my rant is over, back to your regularly scheduled program.

Don

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom