DIR- GUE Why are non-GUE divers so interested in what GUE does?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I most certainly did not mean my comment (that it's common for GUE divers in Mexico to use SM in their exploration work) to imply I believed @lostsheep was "lying."
No worries, I know that the typed word sometimes robs a thought of the connotations it was meant with. The other post I quoted was much more clearly a veiled implication of lying.... "It's always some mystery instructor". Not a lot of other ways to take that one, but I could be wrong (happens frequently!).
Now, it seems to me that it shows closed-mindedness if a student or prospective student takes a defiant stance at the beginning or during the course
That could be true... but also has no bearing on if I meet objective performance standards. To put it in another context, if I went to a flight school to request instruction and told them at the outset that I had no intention of finishing my private pilots license and just wanted to develop the skills so I could apply them to flying an ultralight (for those who don't know, ultralights are the aviation legal equivalent of a go kart.... no license required and limitations on when and where they can be flown), would that be defiance that warrants refusing to teach me or make the logbook entries for training that is completed to standard?

Regardless, no slight to you was intended... and I apologize if it seemed there was.

Respectfully,

James

I dive a lot of different setups because I like to tinker. When I dive OC doubles my setup is almost identical to how it was configured in fundies with the only exception being 2 computers instead of 1 computer and 1 compass. I’m totally fine diving this rig when diving with my GUE buddies who prefer I do so.

I didn’t defiantly state anything, I was asked a direct question about my level of commitment and reticence has never been my strong suit.
I wear two computers and did in fundies and tech 1. I always have. No instructor said I had to lose a computer. But I also don’t rely on the computer because I learned gue’s mental math(intentionally not giving details on that).
I also almost 100% of the time dive caves and don’t wear a compass (because it’s unnecessary in most “tourist” caves imo.)

I wear two computers and did in fundies and tech 1. I always have. No instructor said I had to lose a computer. But I also don’t rely on the computer because I learned gue’s mental math(intentionally not giving details on that).
I also almost 100% of the time dive caves and don’t wear a compass (because it’s unnecessary in most “tourist” caves imo.)

I had almost forgotten about that. When I did fundies I had two Suuntos in a homemade mount (I am a shearwater fan boy now); I was told I had to remove one from the mount. I didn’t have a mount to hold just one Suunto so I did the class wearing the double sized mount with one computer (set to gauge mode). That made/makes zero sense to me and likely created a backlash against GUEs perceived preference for bottom timers.

To connect back to the original query for this thread, the aforementioned story led me to try and understand why there was an aversion which led me to the Bakers Dozen; I was not persuaded. I do realize those reasons are somewhat outdated.

I had almost forgotten about that. When I did fundies I had two Suuntos in a homemade mount (I am a shearwater fan boy now); I was told I had to remove one from the mount. I didn’t have a mount to hold just one Suunto so I did the class wearing the double sized mount with one computer (set to gauge mode). That made/makes zero sense to me and likely created a backlash against GUEs perceived preference for bottom timers.

To connect this back to the original query for this thread. The aforementioned story led me to try and understand why there was an aversion which led me to the Bakers Dozen; I was not persuaded. I do realize that is somewhat outdated.

I did one tech 1 dive with a failing computer. It was a trimix dive to 51 meters with ean50 as decogas. I had a computer failure with a team of three divers, it wasn't a big problem.

I also did a 30 meter deco dive with oxygen as decogas. I had a computer failure in a team of 2 divers. That was scary, doing a gas switch with one depth gauge in the team with bad visibility…

After that last dive I decided to take always a backup depth gauge with me.

A couple of years later we were doing a dpv cave dive to 51 meters. We went diving as a team of two divers. We've had two computer malfunctions in our team. Only my controller JJ (petrel 2) gave the correct depth.

This morning I took a dive with a lot of gue ccr divers. My (Garmin) compass was at my dpv. I was using a Petrel 2 controller at my left wrist (which included a compass). I carried my perdix computer onto my right wrist (which includes a compass). The left wrist had no compasses. I assume that 3 compasses for a diver are enough...

In relation to the original question, I'm not GUE trained but strongly believe in the value of standardization. For example, the standard gases they chose have multiple sound answers as to "Why?" beyond blindly following simply because "__ is doing it."
But with that said, it still all "depends" and there's nothing at all wrong with diving air on a basic rec dive or planning the best mix for extensive diving which is planned to almost all be done at x depth... (Plus I really like my Triton CCR and while that's not GUE I certainly value the thoughts of GUE and others on bailout calculations, even if my preference is mCCR over eCCR..).

The best thing about being a black belt and not needing more classes is not dealing with the instructors anymore
Being presented with your Black belt is only recognition that you have been accepted as a student.

And if you believe anything other than that, you will never progress.

I think litehedded has progressed just fine without having to pay an agency for permission to do things.
Ok, progressed in diving just fine.

The analogy of a 'Black belt' I thought did not fit the subject, and having a 1st Dan, or Shodan, You are a beginner.
(sho, alternative pronunciation: hatsu) also means first, new or beginning in Japanese.

Ok, progressed in diving just fine.

The analogy of a 'Black belt' I thought did not fit the subject, and having a 1st Dan, or Shodan, You are a beginner.
(sho, alternative pronunciation: hatsu) also means first, new or beginning in Japanese.
Menkyo Kaiden.

How’s that?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom