DIR- GUE Why are non-GUE divers so interested in what GUE does?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So does the entire universe when someone says “black belt”. It’s a colloquialism.
Well I must agree to disagree with that assertion.:topic:

I personally could never be a devout GUE diver or member simply because I know my mentality and I wouldn't be able to fully buy in or commit to something as regimented, static, controlled or inflexible as what I understand to be the GUE "way". I could probably buy into the value of the training and skill-sets, etc......but would never "fit in" with the concept of any organization mandating or even critiquing my choice to dive my way, anytime. Plus, I am a solo diver and I always enjoy a good cigar while walking 4-5 miles on the golf course......both of which I believe are disqualifiers for GUE acceptance!.

With that said...... and as to the OP's question of why Non-GUE divers may be interested in what GUE divers do......it would, in my opinion, be foolish to ignore what very well may be very valuable information and practices from a robust and respected organization simply because I may not personally agree with the general philosophical nature or "culture" of the organization.

Simply stated, As a non GUE diver, I am interested in what GUE divers do because I very well might glean some substantial benefit from it.

The best thing about being a black belt and not needing more classes is not dealing with the instructors anymore
Actually, the best thing about being a Black Belt is having absolutely no need or desire to state to anyone that you are a Black Belt.

I had inquired about GUE training beyond the fundies I’ve already done. I was asked if I would commit to the DIR setup. My response was that I would fully comply when diving with GUE folks but that when I wasn’t I’d be doing whatever I want (I.e., SM or Choptima.)

Verbatim from a GUE instructor , “that’s going to be a problem.”

I am sincerely sorry for the **** you had to deal with; it probably didn't change your life, but I am sure it was still annoying.

Anyway, if that is what they told you, please report them. [EDIT: ok, I got the reasons why you won't report, fair enough :) ]

Many GUE instructors dive outside standard GUE configuration when needed (no-mount diving, sidewinder, or other rebreathers, etc.), even at very high levels in the organization (up to Instructor Evaluators).

The only thing that is always a problem for everyone willing to join is smoking.

If you want to become an instructor, two other things will be a problem: solo diving and deep air.

Anything more than that, and you do GUE a favor to report the instructor.

PS there is another big no-go: diving beyond one's own training level, but that is usually a problem for any agency.

Ok, my take on that :)
I used to be a GUE diver and I am still interested in that they are doing because it make me laugh.
With all the blah blah I heard about no this no that and seeing them doing it t is a good fun.
Yes, it is right, only stupid people don't change...they are so smart :) :)

Genuinely curious how they handled it.
I send GUE a long letter describing everything that had occurred during the class. I didn't ask for anything except a response.

GUE did not respond to my letter and Dean continued to teach for GUE for years afterwards.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom