DIR- GUE Why are non-GUE divers so interested in what GUE does?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You think GUE would OK this setup?

BIG TANKS 2.jpg

And how long ago was this? How is that relevant today? This is like the ex girlfriend (there's a reason she's the ex) who keeps bringing up things from months ago.

It isn't possible for me to care less what GUE/DIR folks did in the past.

What is interesting to me is to learn more about their system for OC on how I can dive more safely and more skillfully and for CC understand the dramatic differences for their JJ configuration, both good and bad. I just lack the background there to form my own opinion.
Someone asked why GUE divers should care about what others do, and I simply pointed out that it was at least for a while part of the mission of DIR divers to tell non-DIR divers why they should use DIR gear and methods. I should also point out that the link I gave is an active part of a current DIR group's website, so the degree to which it is past history is questionable.

If there is any person on ScubaBoard who believes in the mission to spread the word today, it is you.

Someone asked why GUE divers should care about what others do, and I simply pointed out that it was at least a while part of the mission of DIR divers to tell non-DIR divers why they should use DIR gear and methods. I should also point out that the link I gave is an active part of a current DIR group's website, so the degree to which it is past history is questionable.
I must have missed that when I took fundies. It's part of their history. Move on.
If there is any person on ScubaBoard who believes in the mission to spread the word today, it is you.
The guy with only a fundies rec pass. Sure John! If you confuse my efforts to help people find quality training. There are a number of non-GUE instructors that I recommend often. But that fact doesn't suit your agenda.

They DGAF. They do get annoyed at badgering.
Strange. When I DGAF about why other people make different choices than I do, I seldom start threads asking about their reasons.

If I did start such a thread, I would try not to take the answers as "badgering."

If I started such a thread, and after receiving several good-faith responses about people's personal reasons for doing things differently, dismissed those reasons and concluded they were all just too scared or egotistical to work as hard and to humble themselves as I had, I hope I would not tell people to forget the foundational teachings of my choices and instead judge me on my behavior today, and expect that judgment to be favorable.

If I did start such a thread, I would try not to take the answers as "badgering."
I'm not referring to that thread. It takes place in virtually every GUE/DIR thread. You're a mod. You see it.

I'm not referring to that thread. It takes place in virtually every GUE/DIR thread. You're a mod. You see it.
As I said before, I don't doubt that it happens, but I'm not sure why it's being brought up over and over in this thread. A GUE diver asked why non-GUE divers act the way they do. Non-GUE divers responded. Multiple GUE divers brought up badgering of GUE divers by non-GUE divers. You brought it up in response to someone asking why GUE divers should care what non-GUE divers do. What's the relevance, in this context?

As I said before, I don't doubt that it happens, but I'm not sure why it's being brought up over and over in this thread. A GUE diver asked why non-GUE divers act the way they do. Non-GUE divers responded. Multiple GUE divers brought up badgering of GUE divers by non-GUE divers. You brought it up in response to someone asking why GUE divers should care what non-GUE divers do. What's the relevance, in this context?
I can't speak for @crofrog but I suspect that this post was a result of frustration of distracting comments in GUE-DIR threads. I don't consider myself a GUE diver, but I am a GUE-influenced diver, and taking fundies improved how I dive and teach dramatically.

I can't speak for @crofrog but I suspect that this post was a result of frustration of distracting comments in GUE-DIR threads. I don't consider myself a GUE diver, but I am a GUE-influenced diver, and taking fundies improved how I dive and teach dramatically.
OP's description of non-GUE divers' behavior did not sound like a description of badgering behavior to me:
It's pretty interesting to me to see many people being super interested in what GUE does. How they set up the equipment, what the standards are, why gue does something, and then never perusing training with GUE.

So if you're not GUE trained and you're constantly trying to figure out what and why GUE does something, why?
But perhaps you're right, and this all boils down to GUE divers feeling badgered by others "being super-interested in what GUE does"?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom