DIR- GUE Why are non-GUE divers so interested in what GUE does?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree that listening to your body is good advice and can prevent a lot of emergencies medical or otherwise. But, I don't know how that applies to DCS. In my understanding symptoms of DCS don't appear until a couple hours after the dive. So, for dives that don't involve grossly violating deco procedures and ascent times it's too late to adjust bottom time or increase deco time.
I think he means to say that if you are feeling often tired after a particular setting/plan/config for a type of dive, maybe be more conservative next time because you are too close to the edge?

He does not mean make your deco plan as you dive.

I agree that listening to your body is good advice and can prevent a lot of emergencies medical or otherwise. But, I don't know how that applies to DCS. In my understanding symptoms of DCS don't appear until a couple hours after the dive. So, for dives that don't involve grossly violating deco procedures and ascent times it's too late to adjust bottom time or increase deco time.

Not necessarily after. They can appear even underwater. It really depends.

Anyway, I agree with @BlueTrin . Also, let me add that if a diver recognises they are tired/stressed/whatever, they can/should increase deco time. Lastly, I believe that adding five minutes of deco in easy situations is never a bad idea.

No, not sure of the exact statistics, but the bends usually occurs quickly upon surfacing. Symptoms may get progressively worse over time, but the initial onset of symptoms is probably something like 90% of the cases within 10 or 15 minutes - would be my guess. I would be curious to see the actual data.

What’s DCS? Mostly it’s not a "bend" but more likely to be tiredness following a dive. This can be mitigated by extending your decompression, doing your last stop shallower than 6m/20ft and doing a slow final ascent.

Following a decompression plan you’re highly unlikely to get a bend unless there’s other factors, the worst being a PFO. That aside, you should be able to adjust your decompression schedule based on your personal feelings.

You can feel decompression stress on the assent after a hard working dive, ache in arms or legs, tired or lethargic and froth in your mouth, plan extra or longer stops for difficult dives. DCS symtoms can appear within minutes of surfacing.

I think he means to say that if you are feeling often tired after a particular setting/plan/config for a type of dive, maybe be more conservative next time because you are too close to the edge?

He does not mean make your deco plan as you dive.
Exactly a week of repetitive deco dives can take its toll on a person, especially in a wreck if your laying and retrieving line, sending back the shot or the lifting bag, it's a fact of life some people do more work than others and should take extra care.

No, not sure of the exact statistics, but the bends usually occurs quickly upon surfacing. Symptoms may get progressively worse over time, but the initial onset of symptoms is probably something like 90% of the cases within 10 or 15 minutes - would be my guess. I would be curious to see the actual data.
According to DAN, onset of symptoms normally happens between 15 minutes and 12 hours after the dive. According to the data from the US Navy, onset of DCS symptoms is within 1 hour in 42% of cases, within 3 hours for 83% of cases, and withing 24 hours for 98% of cases.

In three hours... I would already be doing another dive or two... LOL.
I was at home sitting on the couch after hanging out a bit with friends, then driving home, them washing and putting up my gear, when symptoms set in.

It's pretty interesting to me to see many people being super interested in what GUE does. How they set up the equipment, what the standards are, why gue does something, and then never perusing training with GUE.

So if you're not GUE trained and you're constantly trying to figure out what and why GUE does something, why?
Hi, I'm not a GUE diver, I've recently attempted my Fundamentals. Also, I'm new around these parts.

I would say your question has 2 parts:
1) Q: Why people are interested in what GUE does?
A: I think that any person or organization looking to improve on his processes should look at successful processes regardless if these processes will be adopted as a whole, in part, or none at all.
This is especially true in a high risk environment, where one cannot afford a less-than-optimal risk management process, such as diving.

2) Q: Why people are not pursuing GUE training, even though they are expressing some interest in what GUE does?
A: "Just because I'm on a diet, doesn't mean I don't look at the menu..."
But, seriously, the decision on attending a GUE training can be affected by many factors, e.g. finances, time, ego, etc.

Note: Ego, for example, can be that I don't want to fail, or that GUE has a reputation of being elitist / regimented / whatever, or that I already dive safe and don't have to learn anything new.

(I'm not saying that any of these are valid or true, just that these can be reasons for anyone not wanting to participate in any training, GUE or otherwise.)

I know that I'm extremely lucky that my instructors/teachers/mentors are really good, whether they wear a PADI logo, or any other logo (but this can be a different discussion...)

Stay safe!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom