DIR- GUE Why are non-GUE divers so interested in what GUE does?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well yes, that is the medium we're are talking on, yourself included. Apparently, you're GUE curious or you'd not even be posting here.
in the early to mid 90's in rec scuba I learned about the existence of DIR/strokes/WKPP and Trey... sometime after about GUE, was never curious about their diving but they sure were great entertainment. I did become very good friend of the late "stroko guapo" Mike Gray from that board.

Didn't see much of any of them in Diverlink, just an occasionally "you're gonna die" post here and there.
Here on Scubaboard, I have a few threads I follow, after reading them if I had extra time I click around... threads about GUE have the same chance of a click as threads about what to wear in this or that location.

It's pretty interesting to me to see many people being super interested in what GUE does. How they set up the equipment, what the standards are, why gue does something, and then never perusing training with GUE.

So if you're not GUE trained and you're constantly trying to figure out what and why GUE does something, why?

Why would you assume some people are so narrow in their intellect that they wouldn't want to expand their knowledge in the sport or active they enjoy?

I have done courses with PADI, BSAC, IANTD, TDI, NAS and probably some more I can't remember.
Some of what I have learnt has been adopted into my diving, some hasn't because it didn't fit.

GUE where very late to the scene, I was already using a backplate and wing, twins and accelerated decompression before I heard of GUE. Not surprising really, GUE was born out of IANTD.

I would probably have done a GUE course if CCR's where allowed. But by the time I had the option I was almost exclusively diving CCR.

I enjoy expanding my knowledge. Some of the courses have been valuable, some a complete wast of time. Some divers have taught me tips and tricks, some just talk b*****ks.

My diving changes and morph's as the years pass. I am sure it will continue to do so. As such, my diving practice and requirements change, so the techniques and equipment I use changes.

I am currently interested in finding an experienced side mount diver. I want to steal some ideas and practices from them and morph them into my own diving.

Have you seen Steve Martin's coursework? It's on my roadmap, but I'm still working my way through single cylinder proficiency

That's his YT channel
I've seen some of his, Jill Heinerth and others YT stuff.
I really want to pick someones brains, play with their kit and look at how we can adapt what they have to my requirements.

One thing I have never completely understood, is slinging stage or deco bottle
Why clip to the chest ring instead of side mounting it, I understand sometimes it's not convenient.

But it's so much nicer to slip a bungee on a 40 or 80 tank and its behind your arm, instead of clipping it in and dangling below you...

Seems like sidemount theory is handy
Especially if you are taking extra tanks, and don't plan to drop them..

On my back plate I leave one bungee on my LH for when I want to carry a tank. Works great

Sidemounting a stage doesn’t scale. Not how DIR works. You always breathe the outside bottle because it makes confirming the mix easier and safer. In a cave you drop them when not in use and in the ocean generally nose clip back to get out of the way once used.

It is strange how things have changed over 30 years. George was vocal about really stupid practices which are more widely considered stupid now. Now there are just different issues such as the nickel rocketry and head in the sand attitude that pretends CCR doesn’t have more risks than open circuit and is the solution to everything. I don’t know anyone diving DIR that cares how others are diving. The constant issue on this forum, and it has always been this way, is the absolutely idiotic answers given to those who are trying to learn about DIR since there is no policing. We did police the forum in the past. Lamont lasted the longest. Everyone else quit and gave up quickly.

Sidemounting a stage doesn’t scale. Not how DIR works. You always breathe the outside bottle because it makes confirming the mix easier and safer. In a cave you drop them when not in use and in the ocean generally nose clip back to get out of the way once used.

It is strange how things have changed over 30 years. George was vocal about really stupid practices which are more widely considered stupid now. Now there are just different issues such as the nickel rocketry and head in the sand attitude that pretends CCR doesn’t have more risks than open circuit and is the solution to everything. I don’t know anyone diving DIR that cares how others are diving. The constant issue on this forum, and it has always been this way, is the absolutely idiotic answers given to those who are trying to learn about DIR since there is no policing. We did police the forum in the past. Lamont lasted the longest. Everyone else quit and gave up quickly.
Ok while I agree that it’s easier to breath the outside bottle, we don’t always breath it. Position is not an indicator at all for which to breath. I’ll breath an outside one and then switch to an inside, or vice versa, depending on the situation. I find it easier to pick up and clip in to the inside than outside. But a lot of times I’ll breath the inside first as the heavier outside one will hold the floaty inside one down.

It just depends. But it doesn’t really matter.

I feel like this is an important thing to note so no one gets the wrong idea.

If you like GUE, join them.

If you don’t, then wouldn’t it be better to focus on and celebrate your own organization’s developments and accomplishments?

I agree with another poster, there is more dogma about GUE from non-GUE divers than from GUE divers. IME diving with GUE divers, I saw a negative reaction from others not because the GUE divers were rigid but because the non-GUE divers found themselves amongst more advanced and practical divers and were unprepared to competently participate in thorough planning and rehearsals.

This is like a few sub-40 minute 10k runners complaining about ultra-marathoners who are fueling on Pringles and flat soda, changing wool socks and putting on gaiters at the four hour mark because they’re about to start crossing snowfields.

Both are runners, both run with intensity but they’re pursuing the activity in different ways.

We just had a tragic fatality at Ginnie where a diver breathed oxygen at depth. A buddy might have been able to intervene.

I stopped a buddy from gas switching to oxygen at 30ft. Granted I doubt they would've toxed at that depth before I drug their butt to 20ft. But the buddy gas switch is a good double check that you did everything correctly.

If I ever could figure out how to dive doubles, I would probably take Fundies, maybe even take the full cave side of the program. I think that the GUE does a lot of things that simply make sense. I don't agree with a few minor quibbles, but by in large their program is solid, and it makes solid divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom