DIR- GUE Why are non-GUE divers so interested in what GUE does?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the issue is pretty much what @johndiver999 is saying, with a slight twist. I think we have a world of divers these days that do in fact view GUE as "the best". They also are very accustomed to this day and age of buying their certifications. GUE does not simply allow you to buy their agencies certs. You must perform, first and foremost, and you must follow their philosophy. So then it becomes the proverbial "sour grapes", well if I can't have it, it sucks!!
Again, no one has to follow anyone’s philosophy. GUE tells you what they do, what they believe. You learn it in class. What you do with it after class is up to you. If you want to go solo diving with nothing but a spare air and a banana up your ass, have at it. No one gives a crap.

This isn’t church where your pastor will come a calling telling you that you have sinned and ask you to write a check for penance. This is scuba diving - a recreational activity. Just don’t come to scubaboard’s DiR forum asking why what you are doing is not considered DiR and why GUE is not evolving to include your diving preferences.

There is some conflation of archetype and stereotype in the GUE-loving and GUE-hating worlds. The "GUE Diver" is an archetype, of which many are trying to emulate the good traits. the bad traits tend to form a negative stereotype.

which dive agency provides this curriculum? asking for a frien

Right. Asking for a friend.

Check with IANTD. It’s their intro class.

J/K.

IANTD. It’s their intro class.

Takes a second look at the logo...

iantd.jpeg

ofcourse.gif

Why are non-GUE divers so interested in what GUE does?​

It's like a peephole into an entirely different world.

Again, no one has to follow anyone’s philosophy. GUE tells you what they do, what they believe. You learn it in class. What you do with it after class is up to you. If you want to go solo diving with nothing but a spare air and a banana up your ass, have at it. No one gives a crap.

This isn’t church where your pastor will come a calling telling you that you have sinned and ask you to write a check for penance. This is scuba diving - a recreational activity. Just don’t come to scubaboard’s DiR forum asking why what you are doing is not considered DiR and why GUE is not evolving to include your diving preferences.
I thiink you took what I was saying in the wrong way, maybe misread it. I firmly in the camp that DIR / GUE can and should be able to dive however they like. I have also said that no one is forcing anyone to dive under DIR / GUE principals. My point was, I think there is a lot of sour grapes mentality from the divers that can't dive to DIR / GUE standards, for whatever reason.

Yeah, that fixes the issue of it being annoying for you. But the problem is, someone else will come into this forum and see the non-DiR answers. I mean, how is someone who is uninitiated, supposed to work out what the good answers are from what is siht? I mean this thread alone is polluted with talk about two deco bottles on deep air dives, 80%, CCR before OC trimix. So on and so on. If this forum is to be of any value, we have to put some effort in making sure the answers are DiR. Else, what is the point?
People are still going to have value regardless of however tainted comments sometimes are. Deep air? Discuss gas density issues one why it is a bad idea, but you do you. 80%? Discuss the value of standard gasses for diving and the resulting simplified logistics. Discuss the shyt show of divers getting separated when they don't match gasses. Discuss that air isn't used to instill the discipline for ALWAYS checking ones gas for all cylinders being used. Never assume as that can get you killed. CCR before OC trimix. Discuss how economics and availability of helium is irrelevant and that people are perfectly happy if GUE membership to shrink to what it was in the 90s.

Keep a file with your answers so you can cut and paste and save yourself time.

DiR diving is diametrically opposed to notion of solo diving. It is all about team. Standardized gear, gas, procedures, etc. Solo diving, by definition, you assume that you are on your own and have to carry all kinds of redundancy that you would not need if you were diving in a team. You don’t need a pony bottle if you have a dive buddy. You don’t take your BC off for any reason when you have a buddy because they can see and fix you the parts of your gear that you cannot access. Heck, even a long hose is pointless if you are a solo diver.

There are individual skills you can learn from DiR diving (eg. propulsion techniques) but those are not unique to DiR.
There was an incident in my neighborhood, I believe on the General, where two highly trained GUE divers got separated, had simultaneous entanglement issues. It was a shyt show. They had to sort it out themselves as solo divers. Buddy separation does happen. You cannot be guaranteed to have your buddy help you. Team diving can break down. And when it does, you better have the required redundancy. That doesn't mean you throw out team diving, but it does mean you address the worst case scenario and that is buddy separation with an emergency.

People are still going to have value regardless of however tainted comments sometimes are. Deep air? Discuss gas density issues one why it is a bad idea, but you do you. 80%? Discuss the value of standard gasses for diving and the resulting simplified logistics. Discuss the shyt show of divers getting separated when they don't match gasses. Discuss that air isn't used to instill the discipline for ALWAYS checking ones gas for all cylinders being used. Never assume as that can get you killed. CCR before OC trimix. Discuss how economics and availability of helium is irrelevant and that people are perfectly happy if GUE membership to shrink to what it was in the 90s.

Keep a file with your answers so you can cut and paste and save yourself time.

For all of these topics, there are several people in this forum that are far better suited to speak intelligently about why the DiR approach is what it is. I am also happy to talk about these topics to the best of my ability but like many who come to this forum, I am better served by listening and learning rather than being the one to answer.

Regardless, as I said, questions as to why deep air is not DiR are welcome. Questions as to why 100% is a standard deco gas and 80% is not are welcome. Questions why OC trimix is preferred over CCR are welcome. @PfcAJ answered this question quickly and succinctly in the other thread. All those questions are welcome.

What I personally have a beef with are the divers that land on this forum, zero GUE training, zero dive experience with the WKPP or other GUE affiliated projects, claiming that 80% is the right way to go. That CCR should be the DiR approach. That deep air with two deco gases is DiR.

I honestly don’t know how to better articulate my point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom