DIR- GUE Why are non-GUE divers so interested in what GUE does?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really hate kool aid.
025491EB-7FE9-412A-9004-E22193937AAF.gif

It’s that initial shot that will get you. Once you are assimilated, it goes down much easier.

If I ever could figure out how to dive doubles…

A coupla month ago I was at the track like the one below:
966EFFB3-FCFC-455A-A913-70B3209AA38F.jpeg

There were several paraplegics cruising around the paddock in their wheelchairs. Next thing I know, two able-bodied crew were setting one of the paras on top of a bike (held upright with a paddock stand). Legs strapped together so they didn’t flop around, one 70 year old rider sped away and absolutely punished me in the twisties. He switched gears with a thumb-shifter and was every bit as fast as younger guys.

My point? Where there’s a will, there’s a way. I think a dive buddy could get your twinset into the water and tethered for you to don once in the water. I think GUE is more interested in a positive, can-do attitude and willingness to learn than two perfect legs. You’d be an exemplary student/trainee.

I’d be happy to team up with you but I’m taking a job up in Virginia for the next year.

How is that the agency rather than the instructor? Can you link to any examples?
It speaks to the QA the agency has in place. People feel like they can buy certs when the qa is lax enough that the student has more influence over the instructor than the agency. The fact that in GUE the qa process is a two way street and the agency is known for its adherence to the the standards across the board reduces pressure on the instructor to issue a cert and helps create a just culture.

My point? Where there’s a will, there’s a way. I think a dive buddy could get your twinset into the water and tethered for you to don once in the water. I think GUE is more interested in a positive, can-do attitude and willingness to learn than two perfect legs. You’d be an exemplary student/trainee.

It was mostly in the water, I was turtling. Just something I need to work on, but if I am going to head up to Ginnie I want to cave dive. So it is mostly a lack of will.
I’d be happy to team up with you but I’m taking a job up in Virginia for the next year.
Pretty much expected that. That is where most of retirement jobs for your career end up at.

It speaks to the QA the agency has in place. People feel like they can buy certs when the qa is lax enough that the student has more influence over the instructor than the agency. The fact that in GUE the qa process is a two way street and the agency is known for its adherence to the the standards across the board reduces pressure on the instructor to issue a cert and helps create a just culture.
Do you know anyone who bought a cert?

I am a reletively new diver, having been diving for less than 2 yrs; although I dive regularily and am coming up on 275 logged dives. PADI OW & AOW, also SDI Solo, and I would like to take Fundies when I can afford it. Mainly to improve my techniques. No desire to go tech, as I have no desire to pack a twinset of steel 100s. I regularily join the local GUE crew on their Wed night, all welcome, casual dives. Although I like to do a 1st dive at the chosen site, before the group meets, solo. Which is completely against GUE. Chuckles, I get to give the crew a current vis rpt for the dive site, even though GUE frowns big time on solo. The local GUE crew are all really good with new divers and there has been nothing from the group that hints at being better than everyone else. I have found the group, in general, to be inviting to others, without being pretentious. I am happy to count some GUE divers, as regular dive buddies.

Because it works different than other agencies, and we're curious of exactly how.
Don't see how this is a problem, lol. People are curious about things they're unfamiliar with.

Maybe, but my question was to the guy claiming you can buy a cert.

You’re being pedantic. Obviously they go through the motions of taking a class but at the end of the day the expectation is they’re paying to receive a certification card not for the training. This is obviously not all instructors for a given agency and there are high quality instructors to be found everywhere, but GUE is known for its objective enforcement of the standards vs a more subjective enforcement at many other agencies. You can see this by just the number of people scared about taking fundamentals because they might fail. You don’t see that same hand ringing over tdi intro to tech, Tec40 or ssi extended range foundations.

This leads one to hypothesize either the standards are lower, or they’re less rigorously enforced.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom