DIR- GUE Why are non-GUE divers so interested in what GUE does?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do wonder if DIR has past its zenith.

I don't think DIR has been outgrown or shown to be an "old" configuration/philosophy. Quite the opposite in my opinion. A lot of the tenants still ring true today. But I do fully believe in a "right tool for the job" approach to diving. I dive BM 95% of the time but if I am diving a small cave then I will switch to SM if needed.

I don't think DIR has been outgrown or shown to be an "old" configuration/philosophy. Quite the opposite in my opinion. A lot of the tenants still ring true today. But I do fully believe in a "right tool for the job" approach to diving. I dive BM 95% of the time but if I am diving a small cave then I will switch to SM if needed.
Maybe I should have worded it better.

DIR has had a massively positive impact upon technical diving and has undoubtedly saved many lives. Some of the agencies, including GUE, have set high standards for which many divers aspire.

Alas the zealotry DIR brought did it no favours, especially those that promoted the one-size-fits-all regardless of other factors. Many of these people have now wound their necks in, although there's a lot of people who prefer the tighter standards definitions.

The other agencies have caught up. Technology has massively improved. Knowledge has improved. Teaching techniques have improved.

Some of the principles of DIR are well and truly mainstream. Other principles aren't as needed as per 30 years ago and DIR-compliance in many cases is optional (longhoses, all stages left, etc.) -- but the core DIR principles of a well thought through system is still stressed; but adapted to the underlying technology (e.g. sidemount, myriad rebreather configs, etc.)

Maybe I should have worded it better.

DIR has had a massively positive impact upon technical diving and has undoubtedly saved many lives. Some of the agencies, including GUE, have set high standards for which many divers aspire.

Alas the zealotry DIR brought did it no favours, especially those that promoted the one-size-fits-all regardless of other factors. Many of these people have now wound their necks in, although there's a lot of people who prefer the tighter standards definitions.

The other agencies have caught up. Technology has massively improved. Knowledge has improved. Teaching techniques have improved.

Some of the principles of DIR are well and truly mainstream. Other principles aren't as needed as per 30 years ago and DIR-compliance in many cases is optional (longhoses, all stages left, etc.) -- but the core DIR principles of a well thought through system is still stressed; but adapted to the underlying technology (e.g. sidemount, myriad rebreather configs, etc.)
many of those people are retired now and well into their 60s...
this **** was like 30 years ago

many of those people are retired now and well into their 60s...
this **** was like 30 years ago
Five or so years ago in my personal experience.

Think JJ told them to wind their necks in and they've gone to ground since.

A lot of people seem to think they’re the exception. Hot take: they aren’t.

Dir does work for probably 99% of diving. People love to think they’re the 1%.
Depends upon what your definition of DIR is.

Guidance is good. Tablets handed down from the gods not so.

A lot of people seem to think they’re the exception. Hot take: they aren’t.

Dir does work for probably 99% of diving. People love to think they’re the 1%.
Uh I’m a special unicorn flower. My mom told me so every day. I’m so special I require my doubles be independent like me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom