DIR- GUE Why are non-GUE divers so interested in what GUE does?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would also imagine that the GUE JJ CCR class wouldn't be overly transferable to other rebreathers.
I did GUE Fundies with tech rating, but chose IANTD for my JJ-CCR training. Met a very good instructor, on par with or even better than comparable GUE instructors (there aren't that many around here, just one, that do CCR).

The thing I noticed is that IANTD is more of a 'do things how you think they are done best, but do it safe as we taught you' versus the almost militarized GUE way of doing things (don't ask why, just do it like this). Honestly, both ways have their advantages and disadvantages. I can't say one is better than the other. I still rely very much on my GUE training and even use some of the GUE procedures in my CCR diving.

The thing that made me choose IANTD over GUE for CCR training is that I very much dislike the GUE JJ config. In my opinion they transformed a beautiful designed machine in something I do not want to dive with. I do understand the GUE reasoning, just don't agree with it. That is for me a real issue with GUE, you have to do everything exactly their way or it's the highway. I like to broaden my learning experience and like to adapt to the situation if it's more appropriate for the dive (specially with CCR diving).

Coming back to the original question, personally I think it's wise to do training with different organisations and gain different insights. It makes you a better informed and hopefully more flexible diver than just sticking with one way of doing things. For me curiosity about other agencies is a good thing, not a bad thing. In that sense GUE has a lot to offer with their standards in procedures, less with their specific CCR config.

A former member of ScubaBoard, Dan Volker, was a the heart of the early DIR days. He is one of the 3 people in the famous video with George Irvine. As he explained it in a thread before he was banned, he, Irvine, Bill Mee, and others decided that the DIR approach was so important that the word needed to be spread to the rest of the diving community. According to Volker, he was specifically given the job of spreading the word within the recreational community.

Some of that effort is still active in the diving community. For example, here is a live link to one of Dan's messages to the faithful. It is one of his milder missives. Note that he tells DIR divers

Try to dive only with people you know are safe, and who dive the same procedures and configurations you do. If you are "stuck" with someone you see gearing up badly, with a poor configuration, try a good natured explanation of why the "Doing it Right" system would have him/her configured differently. Perhaps you can get them safer on this dive.​
Last I heard about Dan Volker he was promoting a venture to convert Saltwater in to electricity

Have not read this massive post in its entirety, but speaking to the OP, I can say I am not at all interested in what GUE divers have to say or do. In fact that is the problem with GUE/DIR/Hogwartian diving IMO -- the proponents are far too noisy. There may be some great information there, in fact I am sure there is, but the fanbois are so loud and so predictably corrective that to an observer they appear to be gadflys more than proponents. That's likely why this thread is 60 pages long. And yes, I understand it was designed to be, well, gadfly inspired.

what gue instructor told you that?
You will recognize this I think. You have to comply with the GUE way of doing things like strictly following their training path, Tech 1 has to be one+ week somewhere abroad (even for the basic 10 meter skills which we could do right at home, TDI offers that and that suits me a whole lot better), no CCR until Tech 1 (I chose to dive CCR, not interested in Tech 1 at all), having to dive a heavily modified CCR config (which I don't like at all), sidemount is a no go until past Cave 2 (I happen to enjoy sidemount diving), no diving below 30 meters until Tech 1 (instructor told me although I'am rec deep certified), etc. GUE have their reasons why they do things their way, but I don't care.

I want the liberty to do things my own way because that suits me or I have no interest in doing a training or dive equipment that does not lead to my goals the way I want. Not possible with GUE, you have to do it their way or the highway. Therefore no GUE training path for me anymore. TDI and IANTD are more flexible and that suits me.

Not talking bad about GUE in any way, they offer a really good training. Just different opinions about the training path I want to follow, how I want to reach my goals and how I want to dive. Your opinion may differ about GUE, that's ok. Everyone should makes these choices for themselves and find their own path in diving and training.

The more this thread continues, the more it seems it’s pandering to the basic conceit in the premise of the thread title "Why are non-GUE divers so interested in what GUE does?"

Thus we must be interested in order to reach sixty-odd pages. Probably not in the way the OP infers.

It is a bit like we’re interested in Amish community transportation. Quirky.

It is a bit like we’re interested in Amish community transportation. Quirky.
I deny any interest in this topic even under duress.

5B6261B7-7612-468F-8CB1-65B448D00055.png

The buggy may be equipped with lights including blinking lights and turn signals for safety, powered by a car battery that is recharged regularly. LED lights have become popular because they pull less battery power.

LED lights on the buggy? Seriously?

There it is.
And sometimes it doesn’t make sense what gue is doing.

I know divers who were diving a JJ. The did dpv cave in February this year. They had to dive oc. After the training the were doing cave dives with the JJ ccr with the gue instructor.

In October this this year they will do gue cave ccr with the same gue instructor.

Other agencies require ccr cave first. After ccr cave you’re allowed to do dpv cave training with rebreather.

Think that make more sense when the goal is to do cave dives with a rebreather and dpv. If buddy’s still want to follow the gue route, that’s ok for me. I think they learn a lot and become better divers. But I follow another route at another agency for cave diving.

(In the past a buddy of me did dpv cave with double 18 filled with 18/45, stage with 18/45, decogas ean50 and oxygen. They did a deep dive in the Ressel. He was doing the dives he want to do after the course during the course.

Nowadays max depth of dpv cave is 30 meter.)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom