DIR- GUE Why are non-GUE divers so interested in what GUE does?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And what will that prove? Your insecurity. Experienced divers are able to evaluate whether information is feasible.

Might show if you have ever dived which some of us are wondering if you have ever done lol

"Could"?!? I never met the guy but I've read transcripts and seen videos of him. Saying he could be abrasive is like saying cow manure could stink.
A lot of what George said was and continues to be right. And he’s actually a pretty nice guy.

Folks are so hung up about what he said nearly 30 years ago is wild to me.

And what will that prove? Your insecurity. Experienced divers are able to evaluate whether information is feasible.
Well, most of us have evaluated what you have to say.

The problem here is for the inexperienced folks who are trying to sort out the signal from the noise.

I think there is value in understanding why divers have the gear configurations and utilize the specific procedures they employ be they GUE or mainstream.

James

A lot of what George said was and continues to be right. And he’s actually a pretty nice guy.

Folks are so hung up about what he said nearly 30 years ago is wild to me.
It isn't the what but the how. You can be right but also be a douche canoe.

It isn't the what but the how. You can be right but also be a douche canoe.
By that same token being mean doesn’t invalidate what you’re saying, and an agile learner should be able to learn from both

By that same token being mean doesn’t invalidate what you’re saying, and an agile learner should be able to learn from both
Absolutely and @BlueTrin beat me to it.

You will reach more people and bring about more change if you are composed and refrain from insulting. Now if you get blowback, then go right ahead and blast them.

GUE would have had a greater impact if they put a muzzle on GI3 and let JJ or AG at the time do the talking.

It is incredibly frustrating to me the resistance to teaching neutrally buoyant and trimmed with proper weighting. It shortens my confined water time needed for skills and allows me to introduce fun exercises that tasks loads and helps them control their buoyancy subconsciously.

Heya Matan, I think you don't mean it like this.. but you are sounding mighty elitist in this post. Time to climb down from the high chair ;-) Your post makes sense if you keep GUE totally out of it. Because training or no training is not an exclusive GUE thing.
I don't log in very often but I do see a lot of comments - I guess my English isn't that good that a lot of people didn't get what I meant ^^.

I didn't say GUE - I said divers - and it's true some divers treat training as "pay money get a card" this is not agency dependent. I'm sure some GUE divers are like that as well it's human nature not agency nature.

Easy example: A diver dives for 20+ years by climbing up/down a shot line and never lost it on a dive - and doesn't get the concept that he might need to be prepared to ascend without it. sadly that diver is convinced what he's doing is the best way - he's been doing it 20+ years. (I've met and dived with more than one in my life). So yeah a real spectacle that such bad approach to still exists - but it does. I personally disagree about diving like that.

regarding these two statements:
1. All GUE trained divers I have met always claimed the best training they have took was their GUE classes.
2. all non-GUE divers I have met always claimed GUE training it too expensive/don't want to pay and not get a card.
/ \
||
||
I stand by the above in my country (Israel) - Since so few GUE divers here we all know each other (and since a very small country everyone knows everyone).

Matan.

Has to be said that a lot of the GUE training content is additional GUE-specific material and techniques that is not taught on similar courses by other agencies.

Please shoot me now for not having done T1, CCR1, Cave1, etc.

Examples are based around the strict kit configuration, planning, gas requirements, team protocols and non-computer decompression techniques (or has that now been abandoned in favour of computers running the curve?).

Not a dig, but that would mean more time spent on these additional techniques.

Would also imagine that the GUE JJ CCR class wouldn't be overly transferable to other rebreathers.

The more I dive with other people, the more I realise how 'standard' most of the agencies are in their training. This wouldn't apply to GUE though as I'd probably struggle to understand much of the protocols.

Again, this is not a dig. It's just different from how the technical diving community seems to have evolved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom