DIR- GUE Why are non-GUE divers so interested in what GUE does?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The ideas many of you have about GUE and your constrained/limiting beliefs about it are more dogmatic & rigid than anything I've read from GUE or experienced from my interactions with GUE instructors inside of fundies.

The ideas many of you have about GUE and your constrained/limiting beliefs are more dogmatic & rigid than anything I've read from GUE or experienced from my interactions with GUE instructors inside of fundies.
A lot of people like to talk crap about gue because they don’t actually understand it or have a clue what they’re actually talking about. They hear things from friends and form opinions. Or some like to say they met a jerk gue diver. As a whole the world is full of jerks and every agency has them.

Yeah, nothing wrong with getting familiar with stuff that is different than what you are used to. Just pointing out that adopting a lot of DiR concepts could actually be detrimental to a solo diver.

Not and expert by any means on DIR. But what practice would be detrimental?
Only thing I can think of off hand is team bailout,

Just because I am solo i most definitely will use a long hose, solo doesn't necessarily mean there are no other divers around, nice for inflating my lift bag, etc
Then there is memory muscle, etc.

I'm interested because some gear choices and procedures are well thought out and applicable to my style of diving.
I'm not a GUE diver because I don't believe in team diving, I hate instructors who don't follow what they preach and I really hate kool aid.

Not and expert by any means on DIR. But what practice would be detrimental?
Only thing I can think of off hand is team bailout,

Just because I am solo i most definitely will use a long hose, solo doesn't necessarily mean there are no other divers around, nice for inflating my lift bag, etc
Then there is memory muscle, etc.
Team bailout isn't DIR. He might be talking about something like buddy verification of gas switches.

Because they're yellow.
There is a lot of truth said in jest. I think there might be some of that. I've spent a lot of time doing non-diving hobbies, BJJ, competitive shooting, rock climbing, and auto/motorcycle racing.

Diving feels a lot like martial arts pre-ufc 1 where everyone is espousing how their kung-fu is the best kung-fu or competitive shooting where everyone thinks they're great right up until a timer goes off and they're asked to perform on-demand to an objective standard.

I think a lot of people are scared of the well-defined, published, and consistently enforced standards, having a mirror held up to you objectively is painful to the ego. Day 1 of fundies in 5ft of water in the run at Ginnie I was like **** I should quit diving, by the end of the class I was much better but also very much aware of the amount of work between where I am and where I want to be, 30 training dives later I'm getting closer to where I want to be. You need to be the kind of person who enjoys the work and the process, not the outcome.

The challenge with GUE diving as far as I am concerned is the dogma. You must do this, you must do that, you must follow the standards.
Sure, and clearly that isn't for you but you also seem extremely keen to argue about the standards and equipment configuration on a system you're not trained in, and don't agree with the philosophy of. Pretty much every thread about CCR you post in is saying how dumb the GUE JJ configuration is, and then AJ telling you that it works for him.

Diving isn't like that. You're frequently alone and, to be honest, it's great to be able to bimble around a dive site to enjoy the flora, fauna and wreck for what it is without the hassle of looking after someone else.

I'm not frequently alone diving with friends is way more fun. My entire diving friends group has gone or is going through fundamentals and our diving is way easier because everyone knows what we need to do and everything is standardized.
Those of us who aren't involved with GUE and have to base our impressions on online discussions may be left wondering what the real truth is.

Why not go take a class and find out for yourself, I'm sure you'll learn something and first-hand knowledge is infinitely more valuable than ramblings on a forum.

I have over 3,000 non-GUE dives and don’t give a fig about GUE. Live and let live.

Then clearly this wasn't a question to you :)

I have no idea why people seem to have such an issue with DIR / GUE diving style/dogma. If it is not for you, no one is FORCING you to take a GUE class. This is no different than any other type of diving. I don't dive older classic style diving, like with the old Sea Hunt style diving, but other people DO and they love it. I don't think the classic equipment divers get people that go into their section and tell them that they need to change how they dive "for the times". Dive and let dive. I personally do not fall in line 100% with DIR / GUE but I have friends that do and they are great, non-assholeish people. Basically, if you don't "like" how DIR / GUE is done, get the hell out of their little section of the forum.

The ideas many of you have about GUE and your constrained/limiting beliefs are more dogmatic & rigid than anything I've read from GUE or experienced from my interactions with GUE instructors inside of fundies.
A lot of people like to talk crap about gue because they don’t actually understand it or have a clue what they’re actually talking about. They hear things from friends and form opinions. Or some like to say they met a jerk gue diver. As a whole the world is full of jerks and every agency has them.
In a thread about "why do people interested in GUE not go all the way?", you have multiple people (e.g. Wibble) relaying their experiences dabbling in GUE training and finding the mindset too rigid. And then you have comments like these in response, implying that those experiences are ill-informed or invalid. If GUE folks are trying to prove to the rest of us that GUE folks are actually really open-minded and reasonable to engage with, that may not be the way to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom