DIR- GUE Why are non-GUE divers so interested in what GUE does?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

please share
Backmounted bailout. 216cuft on my back in this pic, untouched.

84m here. The 300 bottle on my hip is full. The drive bottle on my chest has probably 2500psi in it on this phase of the dive and can be used as bailout if needed.

A7D53211-CD43-4F9B-A695-33561D0B61AD.jpeg

84m here. The 300 bottle on my hip is untouched. The drive bottle on my chest has probably 2500psi in it on this phase of the dive and can be used as bailout if needed.

View attachment 726348
i see so to clarify
your backmounted 7l for the ccr accessible as BO
2 tanks on your tail clip (or is that another diver)
you have a tank in front
and the 300 tank on your hip
as well as a scooter?

edit: and looks like dry suit gas on left? what do you mean by drive bottle ?

i see so to clarify
your backmounted 7l for the ccr accessible as BO
2 tanks on your tail clip (or is that another diver)
you have a tank in front
and the 300 tank on your hip
as well as a scooter?
In this pic they’re cave filled lp85s (idk what that is in non-freedom units), an al80 on my chest and one on my hip. I can’t recall if I had a tow scooter on this particular dive. We had a lot of dudes and weren’t particularly far, so it could go either way.

Just saw your edit. Drysuit gas is on the left. Drive bottle feeds the rebreather. Rb80 is a SCR, so whatever is plugged in to the rebreather is what you’re breathing. On deco well unplug the bottom drive bottle and plug in deco bottles.

But we have been trained. There’s lots of agencies and extremely capable instructors teaching (technical) courses. GUE don’t have a monopoly on good technical diving training.
The problem is that unless you are already inside the community you have no idea who is a good instructor. Or a bad instructor. Or how to tell them apart. There are not very many, if any, bad instructors in GUE. There may be ones that you won’t mesh with, but nobody in GUE will drown a cave diving student while running a class and then get approved as a cave diving instructor.

84m here. The 300 bottle on my hip is full. The drive bottle on my chest has probably 2500psi in it on this phase of the dive and can be used as bailout if needed.

View attachment 726348
Ahem…. Streamlining? Bashing the roof? Simply being able to move? You absolutely need a scooter when towing that lot.

Am not attacking the principle here. If that’s the only way of having sufficient bailout the so be it. But there must be a better way, especially when team diving.

Compared to handling all those cylinders, a bailout rebreather is probably way more viable.

Am not attacking the principle here. If that’s the only way of having sufficient bailout the so be it. But there must be a better way, especially when team diving.
If you are using team bailout, you better be in conditions where buddy separation is highly unlikely.
Compared to handling all those cylinders, a bailout rebreather is probably way more viable.
That's actually an option I'm looking at long term. It takes a fair bit of training, but that's probably what I'm going to be doing on my expedition, but probably get to that skill level in 5 years.

Ahem…. Streamlining? Bashing the roof? Simply being able to move? You absolutely need a scooter when towing that lot.

Bashing the roof lol it’s about 40’ above me. I can shift that trailing bottle to my chest if need be, as well.

A bailout breather puts all your eggs in that one basket. I can lose a stage or two (maybe more) and still be ok. Lose a stupid o ring on the bailout breather and you’re toast.

Dives like we’re talking about benefit from flexibility and diversity of options. I have access to my backgas, my drive, my safety bottle, safeties in the cave, and I can use my tools to access all that gas. I don’t have to rely on one piece of complicated kit that has a TON of failure options.

How much experience do you have below 70m? Or is this all just hypothesis for you?

Bashing the roof lol it’s about 40’ above me. I can shift that trailing bottle to my chest if need be, as well.

A bailout breather puts all your eggs in that one basket. I can lose a stage or two (maybe more) and still be ok. Lose a stupid o ring on the bailout breather and you’re toast.

Dives like we’re talking about benefit from flexibility and diversity of options. I have access to my backgas, my drive, my safety bottle, safeties in the cave, and I can use my tools to access all that gas. I don’t have to rely on one piece of complicated kit that has a TON of failure options.

How much experience do you have below 70m? Or is this all just hypothesis for you?
Streamlining is important for efficiency and control.

You imply that you only ever dive in huge no-restriction caves. Obviously only applicable to a very limited number of sites and not appropriate for any smaller caves nor wreck diving.

The point of a bailout rebreather is it’s managed during the dive in the same way as your bottles. Probably sidemounted it would be streamlined and available. You would periodically switch to it during a dive, especially depth changes, to ensure it’s available. The marginal cost of using it during a dive is low.

As for the ad-hominem, I do dive wrecks in that range (have a great dive lined up to that depth today — the first warship ever sunk by a submarine launched torpedo) and don’t dive a BOB. My intention, should I progress to deeper wrecks with their limited time and long decompression obligations, would be to evaluate a BOB with an open mind especially using the right tool for the job in hand.

Obviously the tool for the job in your very specific circumstances is not appropriate for many other people's circumstances.

How many deep shipwrecks do you dive?

Streamlining is important for efficiency and control.

You imply that you only ever dive in huge no-restriction caves. Obviously only applicable to a very limited number of sites and not appropriate for any smaller caves nor wreck diving.
Not all Florida caves are huge. Even the caves where they do training dives have tight spots. Plus, good chance that anyone who is an avid cave diver in Florida will go to Mexico to cave dive there.

The point of a bailout rebreather is it’s managed during the dive in the same way as your bottles. Probably sidemounted it would be streamlined and available. You would periodically switch to it during a dive, especially depth changes, to ensure it’s available. The marginal cost of using it during a dive is low.

As for the ad-hominem, I do dive wrecks in that range (have a great dive lined up to that depth today — the first warship ever sunk by a submarine launched torpedo) and don’t dive a BOB. My intention, should I progress to deeper wrecks with their limited time and long decompression obligations, would be to evaluate a BOB with an open mind especially using the right tool for the job in hand.

Seems as if your system has excluded the use of a BOB due to its restrictions and affection for open circuit bailout. Obviously the tool for the job in your limited circumstances, not appropriate for other people's circumstances.

How many deep shipwrecks do you dive?

GUE divers have been diving deep wrecks for ages. AG was a primarily a wreck diver. Richard Lundgren is a very accomplished wreck diver. Those guys dove the Brittanic (100+ meters) in 1999. More recently, there is a video of GUE divers diving the USS Atlanta in 120+ meters. In that video, you will see divers configured in a similar fashion as what is depicted in @PfcAJ's picture.
I think if your point is that GUE doesn't know how to do deep wrecks, especially with rebreathers, it appears the evidence contradicts you.

I think if your point is that GUE doesn't know how to do deep wrecks, especially with rebreathers, it appears the evidence contradicts you.
It was never my point and GUE do some amazing diving across all circumstances.

The reason many non-GUE divers are interested in what GUE do in the name of DIR is simply learning what others do. A wider knowledge benefits everyone.

Questions are not an attack on GUE. However, GUE doesn’t have a monopoly on diving. It’s a system used by some with many others not using it.

Most extreme dives and penetrations are absolutely not DIR/GUE compliant. Again, the Pierce Resurgence as an example of many.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom