DIR- GUE Why are non-GUE divers so interested in what GUE does?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What if they weren't trying to market and if you wanted to come and join them you could, but if you didn't want to be part of a standardized team and system you couldn't.
I use Yoke for rec dive and bungee twin bladder for tec.
I do not give a toss on standardization for recreational sport.

If doing extreme dives, especially deep dives beyond 100m/330ft, the main constraint is the amount of bailout you can carry. The rebreather basically runs at any depth for as long as the scrubber works resulting in long decompression times. All but one of those bailouts could, in theory, be replaced by a bailout rebreather.

Pearce Resurgence for example
the need for BOB is rare -extreme diving -i wouldnt put this in the mainstream as an option. As for team BO once you get beyond 80-90m your pretty much on your own

Folks (including @PfcAJ),

I wonder if the audience would be best served if we had a dedicated thread on how GUE does CCR and why. This conversation might be valuable for some other people who are interested in this specific topic and right now, the replies are intermingled with other unrelated conversations.

Then why are you even in this forum? It is perfectly valid to try to understand GUE/DIR practices and see if one would like to apply it to their own diving. But if you don't care why/how they do standardization, it makes no sense to participate here.

Bailout rebreathers are the obvious solution. Will need to wait for DIR to invent a solution.
@PfcAJ would have to correct me but I dont think bailout or safety rebreathers are new in the wkpp world. They’re just used when required.

I know these have been around for a while Halcyon Dive Systems

Do you come here all the time and ask questions about gue? Because if not then it wasn’t about you.

Then why are you even in this forum? It is perfectly valid to try to understand GUE/DIR practices and see if one would like to apply it to their own diving. But if you don't care why/how they do standardization, it makes no sense to participate here.
What would happen if I start a thread asking why GUE divers interested on non -GUE style of diving?
Well over 20 yrs since GUE first appeared.
BTW, should include UTD as well.

@PfcAJ would have to correct me but I dont think bailout or safety rebreathers are new in the wkpp world. They’re just used when required.

I know these have been around for a while Halcyon Dive Systems

Do you come here all the time and ask questions about gue? Because if not then it wasn’t about you.
We’re 100% OC bailout.

We’ll switch to deco rebreathers on really long dives because of scrubber duration. I have not personally hit that mark, my longest dive is just 11hrs (no habitat, all on the breather).

Iirc the Q tunnel exploration was done with a stage rebreather, a main, and a deco rebreather. That was a long time ago and I was but a wee lad on the team.

What would happen if I start a thread asking why GUE divers interested on non -GUE style of diving?
Well over 20 yrs since GUE first appeared.
This is inside the DIR-GUE forum.
BTW, should include UTD as well.
I don't think we want to talk about the Z-system. Ever.

Of course, you are welcome to interpret DiR as doing it relaxed for your own purposes. That's your business. But in order to avoid confusion, in this forum, DiR refers to the way they do it in the WKPP and largely what GUE teaches.
Ok, so you state, only gue divers are dir divers? I don't agree. Most agencies teach nowadays more or less dir and for sure swedtech or ise also. But I also see in iantd, nss-cds, tdi or naui cave the dir approach. I also teach dir, but also use other ways, as that is sometimes better. I can join a gue team and dive their way, I can join other teams and dive their way also.
You also forgot 'DIR rebreather', that is also a club of ccr divers that follows the dir way of diving implemented within ccr diving. I think it would be good that people who think they dive the right and only right way to look at others also. That makes you a better diver. That is what I did also, doing courses all over the world, different agencies and talk and dive with a lot of divers.
That is what most longlasting instructors also do. I had students in a cave or trimix class that started with gue, and no problems. I had students that did a cours with me and later went to gue and told me you teach the same way. I had students that were trained by completely different instructors and also talk with them about why they learned it that way and tell them why I do it a little bit different. But also I have seen and learned from non-dir divers some things that I have implemented in my diving.
I have dived with Tom Mount, one of the cave pioniers. Non dir, but you could learn a lot from him. Tom was one of my instructors and I travelled to him because I wanted a vision of someone who was there already in the cave diving world when I was not born. With open mind talks and diving you will come further in my eyes. And then you can decide what kind of dir or non dir you use.

And remember, sidemount and ccr are new in the dir community. I am a dinosaur that already used that before it was implemented. :wink:

But to talk about non DIR, I see already around me that the deep air is making a come back because of the helium prices. We also have in Europe a big CMAS influence and there 60m on air on a single tank is done. I also have a 60m air 3* divemaster cert from them.

If doing extreme dives, especially deep dives beyond 100m/330ft, the main constraint is the amount of bailout you can carry. The rebreather basically runs at any depth for as long as the scrubber works resulting in long decompression times. All but one of those bailouts could, in theory, be replaced by a bailout rebreather.

Pearce Resurgence for example

I think when people start thinking about dives beyond 100m (and even as shallow as 70m), one of the considerations that people really need to consider is the infrastructure/team supporting the dive. Do people do dives beyond 100m without support? Sure. Should they? Probably not.

I'm pretty sure the guys in the Pearce have a support team enabling those dives even though it's an incredibly remote area (aren't they helicoptered in??).

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom