DIR- GUE Why are non-GUE divers so interested in what GUE does?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When are you DIR trained? I have done some DIR courses with TDI and IANTD. There are everywhere DIR courses. My courses are partly DIR, of course the team approach, but I also teach self sufficient/solo. There is more DIR than only done a course. That is what I want to say.

And about statistics: what amount of divers is then DIR trained? Is that only 1 or 2%? What do then 20 accidents of which only 2 are done by DIR divers say?

Sidemount in open water is not dir? Ok, so it is less safe? I dive sidemount in open water sometimes. Why? To test things for cave diving, or sometimes just for fun. And sometimes I dive my Sidekick in open water in shallows for taking pictures of fish under trees. A DIR diver cannot do that then :D And I am happy I can do that then. And also can dive DIR in other dives. So if I die during a dive, the conclusion of the reason will depends on the equipment and if I am solo or not. :wink:

I believe the topic has changed in what is dir and what is not.

I dive DIR, if it is needed. But not always. Or maybe I do most of my dives as DIR also means take the gear needed for a dive. But yes, I also dive solo sometimes and I like to do it.
I already had a backmount and a sidemount ccr before gue accepted rebreather diving. Maybe I am already an dinosaur in diving then. :wink:
I already dove sidemount way before this was done in the 'DIR' community.

In my eyes DIR means Doing It Relaxed. And that fits better than all the other ways of saying you do it wrong or you do it right. :D
I can explain pro's and con's about dir or non dir. I think that is also important, respect and accept other divers. There is no best. And every diver started as a beginner.

So let's DOING IT RELAXED. :D

Of course, you are welcome to interpret DiR as doing it relaxed for your own purposes. That's your business. But in order to avoid confusion, in this forum, DiR refers to the way they do it in the WKPP and largely what GUE teaches.

Great reply from Jon Kieren!

Of all the interesting things he had to say in his reply, this one reminded me that the Fundies card itself is about the most worthless card in one's stack, especially if one doesn't take further GUE courses. What's most important is how much you improved as a result of taking Fundies, regardless of the official outcome. Through some glitch, my Rec Pass never got entered into their system, I didn't receive a card, and I didn't bother looking into it--because who cares? That is, until a couple of years later when I got the itch to pursue a Tech upgrade. But until then, all that mattered to me was how much my diving improved as a result of taking Fundies.

... and the fundamentals course is designed to refine a diver's skillset, no matter their starting point and introduce them to GUE SOPs and the community. I find it important to tell all my students that skill development and improvement, NOT a certification, is how we gauge success at that level. Of the 80 some GUE students I've worked with, I have absolutely never had a student feel they were not "successful" in that regard.

There is no need for team bailout. Please stop espousing this.
Other agencies see it differently as it becomes increasingly difficult to carry enough bailout the deeper and longer you dive

Bailout rebreathers are the obvious solution. Will need to wait for DIR to invent a solution.

Other agencies see it differently.

Bailout rebreathers are the obvious solution.
I encourage you to show me any agency that demonstrates a “need” for team bailout. Managing 300cuft of bottom gas and another 300+cuft of stage+deco bottles isn’t that difficult. If you’re on a boat, the necessary gas volume is far smaller and you can still happily and comfortably carry three or more 80s with a pair of 7L or (for you) 2L or 3L on your back.

Have you attempted to manage two rebreathers at once? Have you done any dives past 60M? Bear in mind the forum you’re in.

It's pretty interesting to me to see many people being super interested in what GUE does. How they set up the equipment, what the standards are, why gue does something, and then never perusing training with GUE.

So if you're not GUE trained and you're constantly trying to figure out what and why GUE does something, why?
You are absolutely wrong!
I am only interested on the exploration part otherwise I couldn't care less.
When some divers asking for non GUE/UTD courses, it wouldn't take long for someone to suggest.........

I encourage you to show me any agency that demonstrates a “need” for team bailout. Managing 300cuft of bottom gas and another 300+cuft of stage+deco bottles isn’t that difficult. If you’re on a boat, the necessary gas volume is far smaller and you can still happily and comfortably carry three or more 80s with a pair of 7L or (for you) 2L or 3L on your back.

Have you attempted to manage two rebreathers at once? Have you done any dives past 60M? Bear in mind the forum you’re in.
If doing extreme dives, especially deep dives beyond 100m/330ft, the main constraint is the amount of bailout you can carry. The rebreather basically runs at any depth for as long as the scrubber works resulting in long decompression times. All but one of those bailouts could, in theory, be replaced by a bailout rebreather.

Pearce Resurgence for example

Other agencies see it differently as it becomes increasingly difficult to carry enough bailout the deeper and longer you dive

Bailout rebreathers are the obvious solution. Will need to wait for DIR to invent a solution.
the need for BOB is rare -extreme diving -i wouldnt put this in the mainstream as an option. As for team BO once you get beyond 80-90m your pretty much on your own

On another note, I have done some DIR diving courses and prescribe to a lot, but not all of the DIR tenants, but from a marketing perspective Doing it Right is a terrible slogan, it implies that every other way of doing it is wrong. You don't win a lot of friends by telling them if they don't do it your way they are doing it wrong.

What if they weren't trying to market and if you wanted to come and join them you could, but if you didn't want to be part of a standardized team and system you couldn't.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom