DIR- GUE Why are non-GUE divers so interested in what GUE does?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The CDG strokes from the UK or the French strokes are on average much nicer and funnier people than the German and Dutch GUE crowd. You should come and dive french cave country some time and drop by some quarries on the way. I think it's a different experience than in what you have in GUE homeland.
I have seen it mentioned in other threads that while the GUE crowd has become mellower in the US, it is not that way in some places in Europe. They, too, may mellow in time. Their attitude doesn't appear to reflect GUE as a whole, worldwide.

I have seen it mentioned in other threads that while the GUE crowd has become mellower in the US, it is not that way in some places in Europe. They, too, may mellow in time. Their attitude doesn't appear to reflect GUE as a whole, worldwide.
yea I can see that. there have always been GUE weirdos. we mostly weeded them out around here.
it's not unique to GUE as there is weird hero worship with others as well. it's whatever just go diving

Which emphasizes further the issues with generalizations and assuming that every diver of X agency is the same as the ones you potentially met. I haven't seen this mindset being applied in other agencies.

I had the chance to dive in Greece, North Italy, and Norway. Even before getting into GUE, the gear I was diving in from my first class, were easily identifiable as GUE compliant to say the least... In all these places I have been in mixed dives with GUE divers and others, and in most cases alone with non-GUE insta-buddies. I personally, never saw any kind of harsh comments or attitude from GUE divers towards others. Not in front of them, not behind their back. The only toxic attitude I experienced (even before I joined GUE) was from non-GUE dive professionals towards myself when they saw my gear. And I mean pathetic, passive aggressive comments, or even trying to debate me... like I cared. The attitude was extremely defensive just on my presence and when we got in the water, the reasons were obvious for most of them. I have never got hate from just regular divers.

This might be a reaction to *ssh*le GUE divers that I have yet to meet... Sure. But something they don't realize, similarly to some people here, is that the toxic attitude of a possible minority in GUE is not part of the GUE standards, and that in contrast to popular views we are not a hive mind collective.

I don't feel the need to accuse or expect apologies from every PADI, IANTD, SSI, etc instructor I meet for the toxic behavior from others in the past, but somehow some people are feeling the need to do it with GUE, and even with brand new GUE divers.

P/S: I had the luck to meet GUE-Is from Greece, Germany, Italy, and there were some of the most wholesome, cool, and chill dudes I have met. It's hard to believe that they propagate or even allow their students to being toxic toward other divers. The ones who potentially do, I would bet that is a small minority.

The only toxic attitude I experienced (even before I joined GUE) was from non-GUE dive professionals towards myself when they saw my gear. And I mean pathetic, passive aggressive comments, or even trying to debate me... like I cared.
Ironicylly, your tirades are the most toxic thing I've seen in this thread.
Nobody has called people toxic, pathetic and passive aggresive more than you have.
I made a couple of jokes and you fly off the handle. I don't see Litehedded or AJ losing their sh_t.

None has called people toxic, pathetic and passive aggresive more than you have.
I made a couple of jokes and you fly off the handle. I don't see Litehedded or AJ losing their sh_t.
522x0

Nobody has called people toxic, pathetic and passive aggresive more than you have.
Humor can be difficult to interpret in an online discussion.

Man this thread is getting dumber and dumber all because a couple people are on a mission to sh-t on gue over the dumbest reasons like marketing and complete inaccuracies. As has been said, look at PADI's marketing. Deep Dive Dubai is not owned by GUE (a nonprofit not a for profit corporation). Sure there are some big name GUE people associated with it, but it's not a GUE owned property/dive site. While I'm not a big fan of the excess associated with filling a pool that size with water, it does look pretty cool. On top of that there is some interesting research happening there and planned to happen there in the future from people like DAN (not GUE).
If you have an environmental issue with deep dive dubai, I get it. But it's the UAE. The sheiks putting their money into it are gettting all that money from OIL. The negative environmental impacts of deep dive dubai are paled in comparison to the oil industry that supports the pool and all of Dubai.

To claim GUE doesn't make conservation a priority definitely shows those claiming it have no idea what they're talking about. GUE is spearheading conservation efforts all over the world. What's IANTD and TDI doing about conservation other than making you talk about it in your cave class? Is PADI doing anything in the realm of conservation? Not that I can see. If padi just started to teach people how to dive without touching, kneeling on, or kicking reefs we'd be alot better off.

Every page of this thread makes me realize why George liked calling people strokes. Just some dumb stuff happening here from people who are on a mission to talk bad for the sake of talking bad.
Hi
I enjoy reading your posts and mostly :) agree with them.
But regarding this trying to disconnect gue with the pool because of some technical stuff it is not, in my book, acceptable.
As an entity or as an individual, trying, in the name of "education, blahblahblah", to justify some absurdities is for me a pathetic way to have a pseudo-integrity.
The problem with gue is that, like a lot of organisations, they have a justification for everything :) and lost their original "positive naivety". gue did a good thing by bringing DIR in the mainstream and was instrumental in changing how diving is taught.
I started my gue training back in 2004-5 and learnt a lot by doing more courses. But I gave up the membership when some people were flagrantly contracdicting themselves and when more and more new divers thought to have invented the wheel.
Anyway, I am a nobody and i don't need any organisation to enjoy my diving :)

Which emphasizes further the issues with generalizations and assuming that every diver of X agency is the same as the ones you potentially met. I haven't seen this mindset being applied in other agencies.

I had the chance to dive in Greece, North Italy, and Norway. Even before getting into GUE, the gear I was diving in from my first class, were easily identifiable as GUE compliant to say the least... In all these places I have been in mixed dives with GUE divers and others, and in most cases alone with non-GUE insta-buddies. I personally, never saw any kind of harsh comments or attitude from GUE divers towards others. Not in front of them, not behind their back. The only toxic attitude I experienced (even before I joined GUE) was from non-GUE dive professionals towards myself when they saw my gear. And I mean pathetic, passive aggressive comments, or even trying to debate me... like I cared. The attitude was extremely defensive just on my presence and when we got in the water, the reasons were obvious for most of them. I have never got hate from just regular divers.

This might be a reaction to *ssh*le GUE divers that I have yet to meet... Sure. But something they don't realize, similarly to some people here, is that the toxic attitude of a possible minority in GUE is not part of the GUE standards, and that in contrast to popular views we are not a hive mind collective.

I don't feel the need to accuse or expect apologies from every PADI, IANTD, SSI, etc instructor I meet for the toxic behavior from others in the past, but somehow some people are feeling the need to do it with GUE, and even with brand new GUE divers.

P/S: I had the luck to meet GUE-Is from Greece, Germany, Italy, and there were some of the most wholesome, cool, and chill dudes I have met. It's hard to believe that they propagate or even allow their students to being toxic toward other divers. The ones who potentially do, I would bet that is a small minority.

No true Scotsman ?

Maybe not exactly but it’s close.

Edit: come to think of it there’s a lot of it in this thread.

Humor can be difficult to interpret in an online discussion.
You didn't think it was an obvious joke when I said, 'don't go, they'll get you on that e-meter' or something about their 'compound', or a gue approved brome handle?
Nobody thinks gue is a actual cult or that gue actually has e-meters or a compound. It's been a long runing joke for forever. Why anyone would be triggered by that, I don't get.
This Mario probably had people to try banter with him and he took it as 'toxicity'.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom