DIR- GUE Why are non-GUE divers so interested in what GUE does?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am just disagreeing that when you (general) are part of an organisation promoting some ideas, you don't participate, even in your personal name in a project which, even if it brings some positives, is contradictory to your beliefs. You cannot have your cake and eat it too if I correct about this English expression.

Personal beliefs don't pay the bills. Sometimes you have to swallow your pride, and shake your booty for dollar bills.

Personal beliefs don't pay the bills. Sometimes you have to swallow your pride, and shake your booty for dollar bills.
Right. They may hold their core "beliefs," as @jale put it, but at the same time realize that an organization sometimes has to be pragmatic if they want to realize those beliefs. A pool in the desert is clearly the antithesis of a conservation project, but the money and publicity could help with actual conservation and exploration projects, hopefully a net gain for the world.

I find it incredible that the people who claim to follow GUE the least can't seem to tear themselves away from this thread.

If reading their magazine, browsing their blog, and occasionally looking at the course standards (usually when someone mentions them on SB) is "following GUE" then I'm a follower. If you don't want to, nobody is forcing anyone to read their magazine or blog or look up their course standards - some of the only agency standards which are freely available.

I find it incredible that the people who claim to follow GUE the least can't seem to tear themselves away from this thread.

If reading their magazine, browsing their blog, and occasionally looking at the course standards (usually when someone mentions them on SB) is "following GUE" then I'm a follower. If you don't want to, nobody is forcing anyone to read their magazine or blog or look up their course standards - some of the only agency standards which are freely available.
For those with a GUE community nearby, nothing beats just going diving with the folks.

Shockingly, they will find that they are not being waterboarded with Kool Aid before splashing.

Hi
I am sure all that you said is right about the disconnection between gue and the pool.
I am just disagreeing that when you (general) are part of an organisation promoting some ideas, you don't participate, even in your personal name in a project which, even if it brings some positives, is contradictory to your beliefs. You cannot have your cake and eat it too if I am correct about this English expression.
Yes, regarding my intransigence, you can call me naive :)
Got you, and I don't disagree. I don't know enough specific details to judge anyone's personal choices in the matter.

Glad to see we've now moved on to purity tests...

Ever patronize a waterpark? A pool in Vegas? Why stop at a pool? Any good you've done is completely negated if you've bought a flight without a carbon offset. Or use disposable cutlery, or got a new iPhone while your existing phone still worked. If you own an S&P500 index fund I can come up with 500+ ways you benefit from damaging the environment.

We can find fault in anyone and everyone if we want to, but it sure does make the world a dark and miserable place.

The reality is that many of us are passionate about aquatic conservation because we're divers. From what little I've read, the pool has been built to minimize its environmental impact, with no chemical disinfection, less evaporation than the average public pool, and solar heating. It looks like there are programs for school groups and partnerships with conservation orgs as well. If it exposes more people to diving and the oceans, that's a win in my book.

Seeing the range of projects GUE divers work on beyond just WKPP, I have no doubt that conservation is a lived tenet, and not just marketing. From ghost fishing to water quality monitoring to archaeological projects, GUE communities are undertaking projects around the globe.

Glad to see we've now moved on to purity tests...
Well, to be fair, the only thing a true environmentalist can do is to kill themselves, as we all have negative impact on the planet, like it or not.

I love the planet and all, just not that much!

Well, to be fair, the only thing a true environmentalist can do is to kill themselves, as we all have negative impact on the planet, like it or not.

I love the planet and all, just not that much!
Yeah, and I thought we all came down on the side of not killing everyone when Roger Moore settled this with both Karl Stromberg and Hugo Drax on the silver screen in the 1970s.

Annotation 2023-03-20 144504.png

Attachments

• 4B335C85-6D31-4D79-AD50-38307B51DE0D.jpeg
    4B335C85-6D31-4D79-AD50-38307B51DE0D.jpeg
    19.2 KB · Views: 35
I think the fact that the title of this thread is generally asking Non-Gue divers what they think about GUE....... probably has something to do with that.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom