Why are more men inclined to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
are you saying that men are basically horn dogs?

Ha ha, while I do think that, what I was saying (with the last sentence in my thread) was that the natural force of attraction is stronger than cultural conditioning. Cultural conditioning tells us a runway model is an example of perfection and we should be attracted to a woman who looks like that. I don't feel that way at all, I think they are way too skinny and look too fake.

--Matt

drbill:
I'm not married to any of my dive buddies, although if I were a polygamist and could afford it on my "salary" I'd marry them all!

Then Utah's for you, Dr. Bill. But the diving sucks. <sigh>

Art

I don't know -- In riding, you find men in the areas where there's a lot of adrenaline. There are more of them in jumping, and in reining, for example. You don't find a lot of them in dressage, which is detail-oriented and requires obsessive-compulsive personality qualities. But in diving, I find for example that DIR is a lot like dressage -- Perfectionist, detail-oriented, requiring a lot of relatively unexciting practice -- and yet, at least where I am, the DIR divers are almost entirely men.

BTW, Drbill, after having raised animals for the last 15 years, I am completely convinced that there ARE genetic differences in personality between males and females. You can see it in foals within days of birth. The colts very quickly start to explore their environment and are much more independent of the mares. Fillies stay near mom, and are much more subdued in their play. You can't convince me that, just because we have a bigger frontal cortex, we are immune from those kinds of influences.

TSandM:
You can't convince me that, just because we have a bigger frontal cortex, we are immune from those kinds of influences.

no, not at all

but it seems that the differences are much less determinative of adult behavior in humans than in other animals

there are very powerful conditioning forces in culture which other animals don't have and which we live our entire lives under

however, men and women have differences in their brains, and are "better" at some things than their other-gender counterparts ... basically, we process information diffirently and have different "strenghts" when it comes to mental activities

but i dont' think that extends to wiring a woman to not like diving and wiring a man to like diving

TSandM:
I don't know -- In riding, you find men in the areas where there's a lot of adrenaline. There are more of them in jumping, and in reining, for example. You don't find a lot of them in dressage, which is detail-oriented and requires obsessive-compulsive personality qualities. But in diving, I find for example that DIR is a lot like dressage -- Perfectionist, detail-oriented, requiring a lot of relatively unexciting practice -- and yet, at least where I am, the DIR divers are almost entirely men.

BTW, Drbill, after having raised animals for the last 15 years, I am completely convinced that there ARE genetic differences in personality between males and females. You can see it in foals within days of birth. The colts very quickly start to explore their environment and are much more independent of the mares. Fillies stay near mom, and are much more subdued in their play. You can't convince me that, just because we have a bigger frontal cortex, we are immune from those kinds of influences.

Try getting into a stall with a bull or a steer. Then you will know if there is a difference between a male and a female, ( or a male and a enuch).

H2Andy:
no, not at all

however, men and women have differences in their brains, and are "better" at some things than their other-gender counterparts ... basically, we process information diffirently and have different "strenghts" when it comes to mental activities

Careful Andy, that kinda talk got the president of Harvard fired.....

what he said was that innate differences between the sexes might help explain why relatively few women become professional scientists or engineers

i am not saying that. in fact, i am saying the opposite.

despite innate differences, men and women can basically achieve the same things, they just go about it differently

the real reasons so few women go into the sciences have much more to do with social factors than brainpower

here is my main point:

H2Andy:
but it seems that the differences are much less determinative of adult behavior in humans than in other animals

but i don't want to downplay the difference either

the difference in genomes between two people of visibly different races is one-hundredth of 1 percent. (.0001)

the gap between the sexes vastly exceeds that, at about 1 percent to 2 percent ... let's say 1.5% (.015)

that's a MUCH greater difference

in other words, men and women are more different from each other than a Sweede is different from a Pigmy

but that biological difference is DWARFED by cultural and social differences, which contribute (according to the latest research) the real differences in male and female behavior, expectations, and decisions

fisherdvm:
Try getting into a stall with a bull or a steer. Then you will know if there is a difference between a male and a female, ( or a male and a enuch).

Okay, the revised list of things I want to do before I die:

1. Fly a jet
  2. Dive Truk
  3. Hit the lotto
  4. Order the most expensive dish at Spagos and send it back
  5. Meet whoever was the girl playing the Vulcan in ST "Enterprise"
  6. Get into a stall with a bull or steer.
:D

H2Andy:
what he said was that innate differences between the sexes might help explain why relatively few women become professional scientists or engineers

i am not saying that. in fact, i am saying the opposite.

despite innate differences, men and women can basically achieve the same things, they just go about it differently

the real reasons so few women go into the sciences have much more to do with social factors than brainpower

here is my main point:

That knock at your door is Rosie O'Donnel....:wink: I know what you meant, but, sadly, some folks don't read the detail before they go into "offended mode". Example on this thread.

Heck, I'll even risk jumping into the deep end of the kettle: News Flash: "Men and Women are different!":11:

Fact is, in my dealings in aerospace (NASA in particular) the best and brightest I have worked with are often women. And now, someone will read that I think "all men at NASA are stupid". Can't win....

Ok, I agree that men and women are different in regard to social upbringing and even the way the brains process information. I'll even agree with all the posts saying that women as a whole tend to be more risk averse.

I've just never looked at diving as an activity that was particularly hardcore or dangerous. Disclaimer: I'm talking, of course, only about warm water recreational diving, NOT tech diving, cave diving, etc.

Perhaps it is the general public PERCEPTION (and in my opinion, ignorance) that diving is more dangerous and strenuous than it actually is that keeps people away? I'm more inclined to think it has more to do with that. For instance, when telling non-divers about my dive trips, I've heard SO MANY people ask me "Aren't you afraid of the Sharks?" - the ignorance of a statement like that speaks for itself. More recently it has been "aren't you afraid of the stingrays?" Crikey! Drives me crazy.

-Spady

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom