Why are masks with red lenses not more popular?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogbowl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Always wondered why masks with red lenses are not more popular. Red filters are a no brainer for a camera...why not masks with red lenses?

My wife and I have been diving SeaVision red-tinted masks for over a decade. Makes me wonder now what those with clear lenses see.

Always wondered why masks with red lenses are not more popular. Red filters are a no brainer for a camera...why not masks with red lenses?

Because they ain't natural.

All that a filter does, is BLOCK light.
So there's nothing a red filter can do for a camera, that can't be done in the darkroom. Or these days, in the computer. Except maybe give you a different "preview" of how things will look after filtering.
Me, I use the same mask in bright sunlight on the surface, where I sure don't need to see red, and I use it at night, where I want all the light I can see, and again, I sure don't need a mythical red nightvision setup. So why would I spend an extra $100+ on a red mask, which to me also means another case to keep it in, when I can just see what's there?

Humans already have a very effective white balance device in our brain. We routinely handle incandescent vs sunlight.

Cameras, not so much.

Filters reduce light. Which is bad for us. But useful for devices less capable.

:idk:

Sorry, I must be totally misunderstanding the purpose of a red lens in a mask. I thought that it added back the "reds" that our eyes are less and less likely to see as we descend deeper and deeper??? Therefore, the fish and coral will appear more true???

Without the red filter fish and coral will appear "more true" as they would through the blue filter of water.

:idk:

Sorry, I must be totally misunderstanding the purpose of a red lens in a mask. I thought that it added back the "reds" that our eyes are less and less likely to see as we descend deeper and deeper??? Therefore, the fish and coral will appear more true???
Filters do not "add back" They remove "other" colors so things appear to be more red, but much darker.

Your brain already compensates a lot. Just like you think colors under light bulbs look okay.

A red filter is useless below 20 feet. The red is already gone. You need light to bring it back. That is why we use strobes on cameras.

I had one of them a long time ago from a DEMA show. It wound up on eBay a long time ago after a bunch of dives. Gimmick.

Back
Top Bottom