Question Why are diving-rated gloves usually dark colors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SubNeo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
A buddy was messing with me saying black gloves on a black suit makes hand signals impossible to see at depth, and it got me thinking: why aren't vibrant glove colors more common (tropical diving, not diving dry)?

Probably because black neoprene is cheaper because they make so much more of it.

Probably as the colours disappear the diver could panic if they noticed their hands were missing

You're not supposed to take a torch with you mate

buac20-vid-colorsunderwater-poster.png

Or does the Sun live in the ocean where you dive

My blood looks black as oil not far below the surface, normally it's red, or blue?

If you're diving in warm water, there's no need for any-mm thickness gloves. Get yourself some nice gardening gloves for a couple dollars a pair. The ones with the blue nitrile palms are nice and bright - but pick whatever you like.

Probably because it is a hard and fact rule that sharks are attracted to bright colours (just kidding).

My gloves I bought when 1st certified. Still have em but full of holes now. I need new ones. The palms are lined with a very light colored sort of fake suede material...almost white, sort of cream color. I forget the brand but doesn't matter, they'd be out of production anyway.

Some critters may not have the keenest eyesight and a brightly contrasting "hand" swimming around in front of an all black diver might be considered a tasty treat...

Some critters may not have the keenest eyesight and a brightly contrasting "hand" swimming around in front of an all black diver might be considered a tasty treat...
Were there more animal bites back when bright colors were available and popular?

Were there more animal bites back when bright colors were available and popular?
I dunno..... I guess you could research it. I do know that when solo night diving in Bonaire right there on Bari Reef that there were instances where I'd light up a bright tang or wrasse in my video light and then out of nowhere a tarpon would swoop in lighting fast and devour it right in front of my face... Never had a "bite" personally......and my hands are a white contrast to my dark rashguard.......but just say'n...

Back
Top Bottom