Why are dive computers so much cheaper in the UK?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bshort4

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Decided to upgrade from my Geo 2 to a AI computer with a larger colored screen for the sake of my 71 year old eyes. Considering the Suunto Eon Core and the Aqua Lung i770r (back down Shearwater fanatics--ain't happening). Checking some reviews on You Tube and came across a Brit who was in Indonesia and given a i770r to demo and he quoted a price of 620 British pounds--or approx. $787 US dollars--a bit cheaper than the $899 to buy in the US. So I went to Simply Scubas website in the UK to check it out and sure enough--620 pounds--but wait--a combo deal with transmitter for 699 pounds or $887 US dollars--way cheaper than the $1300 dollars here. The Eon core was going for 770 pounds ($977 US) as a combo. I decided to go with the Aqua Lung which has the PZ+ algorithm which I'm familiar with instead of the Fazed RGBM on the Suunto which no one seems to know what it is. The price from what I read included the VAT tax which they could not not charge but after purchase just send them the invoice number and they would credit back the VAT amount--even cheaper and would more than cover the shipping cost. Added the computer combo to the cart and BAM two things happened--a big red square appeared--WARNING WILL ROBINSON WARNING-- this combo cannot be sold outside the EU and we're out of the transmitters so you're double screwed. WTF? are the EU police going to raid Simply Scubas shop for shipping to me or Aqua Lung bust in and take away everyone's birthday? Heck the UK is leaving the EU anyway (some year) and what better way to thumb your nose at them and go out with style and save this rebellious Yank from the Colonies a few quid? On to Plan B. See next post.

On to Plan B. I can buy the computer on line from the US and have it shipped free to a UK address---but I would have to eat the VAT tax--still comes out much cheaper and no shipping costs. So happens my daughter lives in the UK and I will be visiting her in August this year. So I can have it shipped to her and pick it up and bring it home and thumb my nose at the EU as I leave with my computer. But you know the "boys and their toys" problem--we want it in our hands now! So decided to check other dive shops in the UK and found the Aqua Lung computer for even less--516 pounds (no VAT included I think) but no combo price--transmitter 129 pounds--so it came out to 645 pounds or $819 US dollars--getting better all the time. Their website also said certain products were restricted and couldn't be shipped out of the EU---grrrr- so add the item to the cart and we will let you know using your address if we can ship it to you. Registered an account with my US address--logged in---added the computer and transmitter to the cart and wait what's this? No warning, no nothing---just the price and a box showing my shipping charges of 22 pounds---hmmmm I'm a bit befuddled here. So before I pull the trigger I shot them a email this morning to double check if they for certain will ship the computer to me in the US. Waiting for a reply before buying and I can pay for it with PayPal since its going to the same address as billing. So I'll wait and see and Plan B is always there for me if I need to go that route--wish me luck!

If I had to guess, I'd because MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) doesn't apply in the UK. When I bought my Geo 2.0 a bunch of years ago, I don't remember what the advertised price was, but I didn't; pay anything close to it (and I bought from an authorized dealer)

@bshort4 If you get a "we can't ship outside the EU" email response private message me and I can give you a UK shop that is cheaper then SimplyScuba and "accidentally ship to the USA". Two things I must state though. One: Purchasing EU scuba items for 50-60% off what a US dive shop can sell it to you will piss them and there dealer representative off. Two: The warranty is only for the EU. I've never had a problem getting service, but I also service my own equipment usually. If you had a problem you could always use your best English or German accent and go to an authorized dealer and be like "L-O chap I'm on holiday ear in the states and my camputer has gone tits up! Can you get it in tip top again?

I don't know specifically about dive computers but my former father in law designed various products that were sold internationally. He claimed that the US prices were so high due to our liability laws which increase the per unit cost to the manufacturer and seller by a large amount. Some of the things he worked on were security cameras and mounting equipment. There had to be liability coverage in case one fell off of a wall (whether is was improperly installed by a third party or not) and injured someone.

If you decide to have it shipped to your daughter and take it home to the US with you, you’re obliged to declare it at Customs and pay some amount of duty. I did that with a couple of drysuits. You get the VAT refunded at the departure airport. All totaled, it was far less expensive than had I bought them in the US.

If you decide to have it shipped to your daughter and take it home to the US with you, you’re obliged to declare it at Customs and pay some amount of duty. I did that with a couple of drysuits. You get the VAT refunded at the departure airport. All totaled, it was far less expensive than had I bought them in the US.
You could always rip the tags off and use it overseas and not declare it........Just joking!........kinda

I don't know specifically about dive computers but my former father in law designed various products that were sold internationally. He claimed that the US prices were so high due to our liability laws which increase the per unit cost to the manufacturer and seller by a large amount. Some of the things he worked on were security cameras and mounting equipment. There had to be liability coverage in case one fell off of a wall (whether is was improperly installed by a third party or not) and injured someone.

Bogus argument. Start with greed and end with tariffs. Liability argument is boolsheet.

Bogus argument. Start with greed and end with tariffs. Liability argument is boolsheet.
BINGO! We have a winner!

Tariffs: Apple & Dell computers are cheaper in the US. Sony electronics are cheaper in Japan. Mares, Cressi, Suunto, and Aqua Lung products are cheaper in Europe.

Greed: American's are typically richer and have more disposable income.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom