Why are BP/W users more common on this board than at the beach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Justin699:
Why is it that occurance of BP/W users is so much heavier here than on the beach? Because the real divers get out and do it, they aren't so worried about making sure they have the latest and greatest. Just a simple psychographic difference.

I think you just made a great arguement for the BP/wing. We don't need the latest and greatest, just a plate, webbing and wing. Can't get any more basic than that, can you?

Justin699:
...Why is it that occurance of BP/W users is so much heavier here than on the beach? Because the real divers get out and do it, they aren't so worried about making sure they have the latest and greatest. Just a simple psychographic difference.

I'm posting a bit blind having not read the 20 pages of responses but to answer the question from my perspective.....I have both a BC and a BP/W as is the case with most BP/W owners. I use my BP/W for all boat dives because I am in doubles. I dive with a single tank and my BC for shore dives. To turn back the clock I would not have wasted $450 on my BC and just gone for the BP/W with different size wings for both needs.

--Matt

No they won't.

It will be Oceanic's new design I saw at a show in Columbus Ohio the other day. It's a front inflating bag that inflates via the back mounted wing. It folds down to nothing and is stored on the front of the cummerbund and held in place by velcro.

To deflate you need to actually dump some of the wing and then pull both sides of the device in order for water pressure to help push the air back into the wing. At least that's what the guy demonstrating it claimed.

Apparently it's for people left floating in the ocean for hours and it makes one heck of a stable platform for an instructor during rescue courses.

I see a real winner here
03.gif

novadiver:
if you made them ungodly expensive then they would be all the rage next year, and probably get good reveiws here on scubaboard
04.gif

Dan Gibson:
No they won't.

It will be Oceanic's new design I saw at a show in Columbus Ohio the other day. It's a front inflating bag that inflates via the back mounted wing. It folds down to nothing and is stored on the front of the cummerbund and held in place by velcro.

To deflate you need to actually dump some of the wing and then pull both sides of the device in order for water pressure to help push the air back into the wing. At least that's what the guy demonstrating it claimed.

Apparently it's for people left floating in the ocean for hours and it makes one heck of a stable platform for an instructor during rescue courses.

I see a real winner here
03.gif

I almost hate to ask this, but are you serious???

Are they going to call it the "Open Water"???

ScottZeagle:

I guess their marketing guy did not see the movie :wink:

Justin699:
Why is it that occurance of BP/W users is so much heavier here than on the beach? Because the real divers get out and do it, they aren't so worried about making sure they have the latest and greatest. Just a simple psychographic difference.

i dive everyweekend, with an average 9 dives a weekend, on my BP/w but last weekend i brought my jacket style for use as instruction ....

my rig isn't the latest, and certainly not the greatest. but hey i enjoy it :59:

Absolutely. I saw it at the Scubafest show in Columbus Ohio last weekend.

ScottZeagle:

Dan Gibson:
Absolutely. I saw it at the Scubafest show in Columbus Ohio last weekend.
He is not kidding. I actually like the design of the BC itself but the inflating bag may be one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen.

ZoCrowes255:
He is not kidding. I actually like the design of the BC itself but the inflating bag may be one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen.
Is THIS it?

Interesting, according to Oceanic:
"Experienced divers agree that a rear inflation design is best for streamlined freedom of movement and positioning underwater"

Rick Inman:
Is THIS it?

Interesting, according to Oceanic:
"Experienced divers agree that a rear inflation design is best for streamlined freedom of movement and positioning underwater"

How much more crap can they put on a BC? This is really getting absurd.

How 'bout a mini stove, refrigerator and freezer?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom