Why are BP/W users more common on this board than at the beach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

detroit diver:
I have an idea. We'll just call the "typical" BC a poodle jacket. So you can now identify the difference as:

Poodle Jacket

BP/Wing

Let's not ... "colorful" terms like that are always divisive, and lend themselves more to creating a controversy than conveying any useful information.

Besides, non-BP/wing style BCD's include a wide range of designs that run from the ridiculous to the very practical ... why refer to them all under a term that was created to be demeaning?

I think we can discuss the pros and cons of different equipment without creating an "us vs them" atmosphere ... it may not be as entertaining to some, but it would certainly be more informative to the majority.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Rick Inman:
.. I have taken several classes, NASDS OW, SSI Refresher, PADI OW, AOW, Nitrox and rescue. I have not taken fundies.
The classes have been good, and I've learned a lot. But I have learned more by educating myself on ScubaBoard, having SB divers to watch, and diving out the stuff myself.

Hey Rick, as one who just finished "fundies" (actually I'm not "finished" yet - still have to pass and that could take years!) I was finally able to put some of the pieces together that I've learned on the internet - I'm very grateful for the internet and those on the board that I've been able to learn so much from, but having an instructor put the pieces together was really helpful (and humbling, stressful, humorous etc.. - it's going take a couple of days for my body and mental capacities to recover) So I'd highly recommend it for anyone who wants to continue their "education" and not just their "cert. collection" - I'll probably take my rescue and Nitrox eventually, but I now see that I won't learn nearly as much as I could from those classes unless I get the fundamentals of diving under my belt first (If I'm still focusing on my buoyancy then I will have very little attention left to "rescue" my buddy)

Just my current impressions on the value of internet learning - (note: I think it's a great educational "swap meet" but for some of us just starting out, words don't always carry the full impact that a demonstration does)

Aloha, Tim

jonnythan:
OK guys, calm down. Sure, a bp/wing is technically a buoyancy compensator, but when someone says "bp/wing vs BC" I think the implied difference is obvious. No need to name call.
There actually should have been a LOL or smiley face

I personally use a BP/W and like it a lot. Just don't feel it is the be all/end all of scuba gear.

kidspot:
Hey Rick, as one who just finished "fundies" (actually I'm not "finished" yet - still have to pass and that could take years!) I was finally able to put some of the pieces together that I've learned on the internet - I'm very grateful for the internet and those on the board that I've been able to learn so much from, but having an instructor put the pieces together was really helpful (and humbling, stressful, humorous etc.. - it's going take a couple of days for my body and mental capacities to recover) So I'd highly recommend it for anyone who wants to continue their "education" and not just their "cert. collection" - I'll probably take my rescue and Nitrox eventually, but I now see that I won't learn nearly as much as I could from those classes unless I get the fundamentals of diving under my belt first (If I'm still focusing on my buoyancy then I will have very little attention left to "rescue" my buddy)

Just my current impressions on the value of internet learning - (note: I think it's a great educational "swap meet" but for some of us just starting out, words don't always carry the full impact that a demonstration does)

Aloha, Tim
Thanks. Planning on it, some day. Have to go to Seattle = Time+$$$.

Hey Jonnythan - I just noticed that you are now a moderator - are congratulations in order or sympathy? lol - must have happened while I was "out of the loop" the past couple of days (or I've been really unobservant once again)

Tim

I'm not a dive shop owner but I am the son of one. I suggest people check out Scubaboard all the time. Common sense tells a person that reading about it is no substitutue for proper training or diving with an experienced diver.

I am ALWAYS diving and I encourage my students to come out with me all the time. I don't get paid for it and neither does the shop. I just enjoy diving and helping people to improve their skills. There is no substitute for experience.

There is a lot of great info available on the net. You just have to wade through pages of BS to get to it lol

Rick Inman:
Thanks. Planning on it, some day. Have to go to Seattle = Time+$$$.

I definitely understand . . . my coffers are now completely empty - but it was worth it! My plan is to line up another fundies class on Maui and try to get some local guys in on it so there is someone for me to practice with! (Of course you're welcome to come on over and join us too if you don't mind 80 degree water in that drysuit of yours :wink: )

Aloha, Tim

NWGratefulDiver:
Let's not ... "colorful" terms like that are always divisive, and lend themselves more to creating a controversy than conveying any useful information.

Besides, non-BP/wing style BCD's include a wide range of designs that run from the ridiculous to the very practical ... why refer to them all under a term that was created to be demeaning?

I think we can discuss the pros and cons of different equipment without creating an "us vs them" atmosphere ... it may not be as entertaining to some, but it would certainly be more informative to the majority.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Could not have said it better myself Bob.

ZoCrowes255:
I'm not a dive shop owner but I am the son of one. I suggest people check out Scubaboard all the time. Common sense tells a person that reading about it is no substitutue for proper training or diving with an experienced instructor.

I am ALWAYS diving and I encourage my students to come out with me all the time. I don't get paid for it and neither does the shop. I just enjoy diving and helping people to improve their skills. There is no substitute for experience.

There is a lot of great info available on the net. You just have to wade through pages of BS to get to it lol

For the most part I think there is a great deal of respect that SB members have for their LDS and the instructors out there, with the exception of when thy are taken advantage of - and usually those are the stories that get shared around and publicized - Sounds like you have a great perspective on it all though.

Aloha, Tim

kidspot:
For the most part I think there is a great deal of respect that SB members have for their LDS and the instructors out there, with the exception of when thy are taken advantage of - and usually those are the stories that get shared around and publicized - Sounds like you have a great perspective on it all though.

Aloha, Tim
I actually see a lot of derision of dive shops and instructors which is somewhat understandable because there are a lot of instructors/shops out there that do a horrible job because they just don't care. I am lucky in that the shop I work for has been in business for almost 30 years and has been committed to excellence in instruction from the start.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom