Why are BP/W users more common on this board than at the beach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
No this is not a troll (and if it's been discussed - my apologies) It was pointed out in a recent thread (http://www.scubaboard.com/t90191-bcd-toss-upagain.html #15) "An interesting fact is that BP&W usage on this board is hugely disproportional to that of the rest of the diver population in the country."

This does seem very true - so why? I know there are some cute answers out there (I liked H2Andy's lol) but in reality is this just a board that attracts bp/wing users or is this a growing segment of the diving population simply being exposed on the Scubaboard first? I know for myself I was first exposed to the benefits (and the very existence) of the bp/wing gearing here.

As to my personal opinion (and yes, bias) I think that Scubaboard is a place for the discussion of ideas beyond what you might hear at the LDS and in the marketplace of ideas the showroom has less of an impact on sales than does personal experience and the recommendations of users. Since this is a community where new divers (like myself) have been greatly influenced it would make sense that we would also stick around and become active members of this community, thus perpetuating the ideas we were exposed to and found we agreed with. So is this going to translate into more broadspread usage of bp/wings in the general diving community or is there another reason out there?

Ideas anyone?

Tim

I think the vast majority of divers are 'occasional, recreational' divers - as in, those who perhaps dive 5 or 10 dives a year. As such, they're far more likely to simply take the word of the LDS and happily dive a poodle jacket or simple back inflate BC.

Scubaboard users, by very nature of the fact that they're taking the time to research the sport on the Internet et al, are somewhat more serious about their diving, and tend to do more research. Most LDS's won't push a backplate on recreational divers due to the lower profit margins and the mistaken belief that it's a technical rig.

Since most scubaboard users are somewhat more serious about their diving, they're more likely to wear a better system.

*** The above statement is a generalization. I'm sure there are going to be folks who say "I'm a serious diver and I don't dive a backplate!" Don't get indignant - I'm merely pointing out why there are more BP/W users. It's because we know better. :)

kidspot:

2 reasons....

1. Most people blindly follow their LDS. There is much more profit to be made on the latest jacket than a good BP/Wing combo.
2. The userbase here is by and large, "into" scuba diving. It's not so much a once a year hobby as a lifestyle choice. We eventually migrate to the best...

James

because Uncle Pug told us to wear them...

(sorry, sorry... jeez... it's a joke :D)

H2Andy:
because Uncle Pug told us to wear them...

(sorry, sorry... jeez... it's a joke :D)

And there I was thinking it was that GI3 guy!!

Most LDS's will never tell you whats cheap, reliable, and durable.

Do you think who the active group of people in this board is?
Do you think how many recreational divers who dive 10~15 per year visit this board regularly?
Do you think how many recreational divers speak out here about the unnecessary overkill set up for the recreational dive?

The journey to seek for the answers can be started from those questions.

Yes, as long as the recreational gears work, the recreational divers don’t care about

Regulator tune up
Steel (High and Low)
Manifold
Twin setup
BP/W set up
Lift bag
Air 2 debate
Jet fin debate
Reel
Spool
Spring strap
Tech course
Dry suit
Jon Line
Deco bottle
DIR
Etc……

Scubaboard users, by very nature of the fact that they're taking the time to research the sport on the Internet et al, are somewhat more serious about their diving, and tend to do more research. Most LDS's won't push a backplate on recreational divers due to the lower profit margins and the mistaken belief that it's a technical rig.

Since most scubaboard users are somewhat more serious about their diving, they're more likely to wear a better system.

:)
Having been in the diving industry for while, I am glad to see that the Internet has become more of a tool than a toy. Years ago when internet dive tour booking had first started, we coined a term for the folks who would book dives online, Cyberdivers.
Our Cyberdivers would show up at the resort, with the latest and greatest, most flashy dive gear that their LDS, could sell them. We would dread their arrival, as while they had the most expensive gear, the skill level was so low. Now that you no longer need to be a computer geek to use the internet, the term cyberdiver hardly applies.
Poodle jacket, back inflate, BP/W, vintage scuba gear, as long as you know how to use your gear, you should be welcome on any dive.
I am sure the additional exposure given to BP/W will indeed increase usage. Is it the ultimate configuration? Scuba is still a young sport, at 60 some years. I think you should enjoy your dives, and if your gear helps you acheive that, it makes you advocate your style of gear to your friends and aquaintances.
Happy Diving
Aloha Turtleguy

I think that due to the attention of discussion boards like this one, backplate/wings are slowly entering more into mainstream consideration. There seem to be more commercially available models recently, at least.

Heck, maybe one day I'll get one!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom