Why are 2 AOW-level divers allowed to dive unaccompanied?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For one you don't need any "certification" to dive. Solo or otherwise.

What is more concerning is how do you know to level of their certification?

NO more government regulation. I do not require a babysitter to leave the house.

NO more government regulation. I do not require a babysitter to leave the house.

I don't think OP is about solo diving, but a pair of AOW divers budded up and diving without a paid instructor. Kind of reminds me of new england business having to pay their local mob boss for "protection."

Seems like a money grab to me. Also a pity, because French Polynesia is #2 on my todo list.

France isn't that strict my father told me that he entered France without a passport with no problems at all in ....................in 1944.
US citizens can go in France without Visa.
I need one or a specific authorization to go into USA (country of freedom, as you know it :D )

DM isnt there to lead you around pointing out things, purely a safety thing.
For who's safety, the dive op, or the diver?

Seems like a money grab to me. Also a pity, because French Polynesia is #2 on my todo list.
Just one of those places that if you want to go, you have to play by their rules.

CMAS has a different view of qualification levels and diving without supervision and require that both divers are qualified divers and that at least one is a CMAS 2* diver before they allow a buddy pair to dive unsupervised. So two CMAS 1* divers should not be diving as a buddy pair without additional higher qualified supervision.
not more
in France, CMAS 1* can be autonomous to 12m, if they followed the training.
Rarely used.
As has been mentioned the French use the CMAS system which they have enshrined in a national law that says divers must either hold an appropriate French CMAS certificate (as I understand it they don't accept CMAS certificates from other countries) or dive with someone who holds an appropriate level of French CMAS certificate for the depth and conditions.
not more.
the Dive Director can allow 2 AOW to dive in autonomy after have checked the log book or do a check-dive
Also there are plenty of PADI schools in France as far as I know and I have never seen them offering dual PADI/CMAS certs so I suspect this is a law that does not get applied much.
some schools offer a dual certification.

the "laws" are more flexible since 2010-2012.
all divers are welcome.
diving out of structure (commercial or associative) is free, with exception( of course).
in structure, have your logbook and speak.

---------- Post added July 6th, 2014 at 07:46 PM ----------

I don't think OP is about solo diving, but a pair of AOW divers budded up and diving without a paid instructor. Kind of reminds me of new england business having to pay their local mob boss for "protection."

French Polynesia is a territory with his laws which can be different from France.
For diving, as there a lot of US or japanese people, the regulation is different.
In France, by example, you can have a limit of 20m, but 29m in French Polynesia
Safety

---------- Post added July 6th, 2014 at 07:52 PM ----------

Highly enforced by the Police in French Polynesia. My dive op of choice on Rangiroa made it very clear when I arrived the other two other divers were PADI AOW and PADI OW both with less than 50 dives so DM would be keeping them at 18m. I am CMAS certified so dove below them but within sight of them at all times.

One of the divers (cramp and panic situation) ended up in trouble and was admitted to the clinic - by the time he was transported to the clinic police were waiting and all the gear of all divers was seized by the Gendarmes who analysed computers and cameras to make sure all divers were within their limits. Police interviewed all of us the next morning. So, there are scuba police. If the dive centre had been found to have taken divers below the legal limitations of their certification they would be held liable for the incident, in this case the police concluded the investigation politely and pleasantly
the police came only when there is an accident.
or to control the security equipment in the charter boat.
not to control if the divers have a cert or what are their capabilities, that's the operator's job.

So what happens when I show up with a 100m card? Is it customary for them to accompany me to the bottom?

Beats me--I just did a little research and posted the results.

Such a rule, however, is similar to the rules in the marine park in Cozumel. You must have a DM with you there as well. And, yes, I did show up with a 100m card, and yes, I did have to have a qualified professional with me. It makes decompression diving very expensive there. You have to pay the customary boat fee. You have to pay an additional fee for a DM/instructor with appropriate certification. You have to pay for your trimix and decompression gases. You have to pay for the DM/instructor's trimix and deco gases.

So what happens when I show up with a 100m card? Is it customary for them to accompany me to the bottom?
nope, if you come with your buddy.
but ask if they can fill your tanks with helium, and if they have a operator certified for trimix.
the operator must know trimix and/or rebreather security procedures to allow you to dive.
that's also for your security.

Inkman - in this case you are wrong - in the US or Canada you would be correct to say you do not need anything by law, but in some countries they have different laws from the US and Canada - surprise surprise. In France, and French Polynesia and many other countries you are breaking the law if you do not follow their local rules on diving. You can be fined a significant amount of money, and once fined they can withhold your passport and return you to court if they think you are trying to leave the country without paying.

American, Canadian, UK or anybody else's laws and normal rules count for nothing when you are in a different country that has a different legal framework. Additionally the Embassies and High Commissions cannot overrule local laws so it does not matter that you are not a citizen. From experience they will intervene - they'll tell you to man up and pay up the local fine, then help you rebook flights etc. to get back home.

You want to try living and working in many of the African countries or the former soviet states - I think you would be in for a shock.

Phil.

Dubois - thanks for the clarification - I did actually post a later post with the text from the 2012 amendment in it which made clear what you are saying - P

In France, and French Polynesia ... countries you are breaking the law if you do not follow their local rules on diving. You can be fined a significant amount of money
false.
the operator can be pursued if he doesn't follow the rules enforced for YOUR security or don't tell the divers to follow the rules.
never the diver, except if he dives "as" a DM/instructor, dives too deep for his buddy and have an accident.

any sentence must be foreseen, and there is nothing in the diving regulation saying "you are limited at 20m, and at 21m, go to jail if controlled"
no text, no sentence.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom