Why am I a female diver? how to find a nice buddy or group to join?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Taliena

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I like technical diving, but sometimes it is soo difficult to find a buddy. The reason: the partners of buddy's don't want that their bf's go diving with a female diver, or man expect more than just diving. I don't know female technical divers in my surrounding.
Do others have the same problems? I know it is a man world that technical diving. But I cannot change myself into a male diver.
Any ideas about join a trip with deep technical dives? or the possiblities to join a group that is not possessive?

Last edited:
Reasonbly common in my neck of the woods. What about the shop where you got your gear and/or training? They must know some other female divers or at least some males that aren't Neanderthals.

Last edited:
Hello Taliena!

I can sympathize with you big time. Prior to meeting my BF who is very much a tech diver, I dated an OC "wannabe" who became threatened when I started rebreather-diving again. I thought by getting him into CCR, it would solve problems, but he still could not get over the fact the "his woman" knew more about it than him. He even accused me of diving CCR so that I get all the attention on the dive boat. (did I mention he is an EX-BF?? :dork2:)

Anyway, I certainly represent the minority on our boats, but there are others! Do you cave dive? I found quite a few female cave divers, too. There are few tech divers and even fewer female tech divers, as you already know. When I was not dating, I dove with mostly guys. If any of them had anything else in mind, that was quickly discouraged. Regarding their partners, it might help if you establish a relationship with some of them. We organized small dinner parties at different houses. This way everybody got to meet the other non-diving wife/girlfriend/boyfriend. Oh, BTW, it would help if you could show up with your BF or husband to one of those.
Good Luck in your search. You might have to move to Florida (I would turn into an ice cone in Denmark) :):)

I do trimix diving, cave diving, ccr diving. I am single, but not looking for a bf. And I am not a person who wants others cheat from their partners.

I've had no such problems. I am also single female w/ no BF. I am the only female technical diver in our shop (there are several guys) & in the area. When we make trips down to FL or for some technical diving, I will usually pay extra on the shared rent of the trailer we are renting for my own bedroom, sleep on a matteress in the living room or pay for my own motel room. I am not a prude,... but I do try to be reasonably modest. I am usually with more than 1 guy down there, so that helps with the SO issues with most of the guys. I am there strictly to dive,... not for any hanky panky or such. I conduct myself professionally when on these trips & any time I'm around the shop & it is respected by the guys I affiliate with. Yes I may tease them some (If they dish it, they'd better take it), but I do not flirt nor come on to them & if they do with me,... They get a very quick & blunt shutdown. It is as simple as that.

I am not a technical diver (although some of my dives would qualify) nor do I live near Denmark. However, I wanted to comment on the problems of being single and diving. I have been very fortunate in my many years of diving to have a number of female dive buddies who dive with me and their non-diving husbands/boyfriends have no problem with it. It is largely a matter of trust. Their SOs know I treat their partners with respect... and their relationships as well. Of course on dive boats I see similar problems to what you mention... male divers who try to charm the single ladies. And cheating, or at least attempts to do so, are not rare events. I hope you and any other women who face this problem can locate a buddy who is female or a trustworthy male.

I do trimix diving, cave diving, ccr diving. I am single, but not looking for a bf. And I am not a person who wants others cheat from their partners.

I'll take it!

Not sure if this is what you're after, but have you tried some tech trips abroad? Places like Egypt have diveshops that organise tech dives regularly. Locally, however, I share your pain. I have a few good recreational divebuddies, all men. As for tech diving, the people who I know do tech diving are really quite possessive chauvinistic old men and I don't want to dive with them. They take the fun out of diving. We need more female tech divers, ladies!!

As for tech diving in Denmark, I am in fact moving to Denmark soon, and will therefore be looking for dive buddies there :)

Back
Top Bottom