Why a snorkel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I knew that... I just wanted my troll shot as well!

I picked up a VDH Mistral the other day. I am really looking forward to using it!

Richard

Wait until you see the looks you'll get. People always ask me:

People: "Does that thing work?"
Me: "Nope, I didn't rebuild it to be good enough to use, I just threw it on a tank."
People: "Wow! Isn't that dangerous?"
Me: "Not anymore than that crappy 80's neon orange plastic regulator you're using."

Just wait dude, it gets hilarious.

I have been discussing the idea of using a horse collar over on the Vintage forum. I think that's what I'll do: a Mistral with an Al 50 on a cotton harness with a horse collar BC and about 30# of lead. It's too bad I don't have hips; a weight belt would be more impressive than a weight harness.

Just the yellow tank, yellow harness and yellow hoses ought to be good for a few giggles! I may actually buy a yellow horse collar to continue the theme.

Now, what to do about the snorkel. I like it but it really gets tangled with the DH regulator. I actually took it off the other day when I played with my DA Aquamaster in the LDS' pool.

But it's the Mistral I want to play with. I like the venturi action. It reminds me of my Oceanic Omega II's. This is going to be a trip!

Richard

When I carry a snorkel with my double hose I just tuck it into my waist strap of my tank harness. It does get in the way with a double hose, but when you surface, you can just tuck the double hose under your right arm and put the snorkel under the left side of your mask strap (or vice versa depending on how vintage you want to be). Since you'll ostensibly be wearing a large volume oval mask anyway, it won't leak with a snorkel under the strap like a tiny volume ultra snug new school mask.

We have successfully derailed this thread. Thank God.

Can you use a snorkle with the 7' hose?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom