Why a snorkel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mostly for the surface time. On boat dives, I'll snorkle a bit waiting for my dive buddy to get in the water since I usually get in faster than the people I go with. I may snorkle a bit at the end of the dive too if air is low and I want to swim around a bit before getting back on the boat.

In between dives,there's a pod of dolfins,you get in the water and use the "S"thingy.:D

Because sometimes you have to make a half-mile kelp crawl because your tank has 300psi... That was a fun day.

Some people carry them all the time and use them on the surface, some have never had a use for them. Next time your on the surface in a chop, take out your regulator and see if you are more comfortable breathing with or without a snorkel.

thats what my dad said plus if your in a bc that puts you on your face you would really want one
Some people carry them all the time and use them on the surface, some have never had a use for them. Next time your on the surface in a chop, take out your regulator and see if you are more comfortable breathing with or without a snorkel.

Got a properly stupid question why would a diver with a air tank want a snorkel when diving. Also how do you keep the water out i guest why would it matter since your underwater with air

Take the class---you've got a long way to go.......BTW, divers use ones with 14' tubes.........

I think they are most useful in tropical waters where you can see deeper than 5 feet, but even then there's probably some questions over their usage. The short answer is: your OW certification probably requires you have one (at least that's what my instructor said: because he said away from class he wouldn't be using one).

The long answer is it's personal preference. Personally I see no reason not to have it. It doesn't really get in the way and in an emergency when you're stranded and out of air, it may be useful. However, I use my snorkel a ton in regular situations: waiting for my buddy or after surfacing on boat dives, swimming in to shore on a shore dive, waiting around for whatever reason. I just like them because I can let myself swim or bob under water a little without wasting air. Unfortunately, I also start descending with my snorkel in my mouth half the time :)

Next time your on the surface in a chop, take out your regulator and see if you are more comfortable breathing with or without a snorkel.
A DM friend of mine spent 5 hours adrift in 40kt winds and very sloppy conditions. He would have loved to have a snorkel that day, and now carries one in a pocket on every dive.

He considers the snorkel to be survival gear, just like a signal mirror and a signal sausage.

Charlie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom