Why 2 gradient factors ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, there is already more safety built in in ZH-L16 C. Maybe the use of a lower GF low dates from ZH-L 16 A?

And in the article from prof. Doolette I read: “Tyler Coen at Shearwater Research Inc. noted that GF settings recommended by Fraedrich modify ZH-L16 M-values so that approximately the same level supersaturation is allowed at all stop depths.”.’

Another argument for parity?
I think GF were created well after A, B and C

Eric Baker mentions them in this document btw

Gradient factors explanation from E Baker, he references the previous paper so must be written afterwards.

Wow! Very interesting!

GF Low doesn't apply to no-stop dives so it's reasonable for a computer that targets NDL divers to have GF Low = GF High presets. E.g. 4 out of 6 presets on SEAC guru: 93/93, 90/90, 80/80, 75/75, 90/30, and 89/20.

I've learned a lot reading this thread, thanks for all of the informed input.

For OC Rec dives, do y'all have any opinions on whether the Shearwater default of 40/85 is reasonable, versus something like 75/85? I understand that for no-stop dives, GFLo does not enter the picture, but every now and then s--- happens and a no-stop dive becomes a deco dive. For that situation, I'd like to have my computer set to what I think is the safest option.

I tried punching several dive profiles that go a few minutes into unplanned deco into Subsurface, using its default of 0.7 cuft/min. For example: using air in a HP100 tank, 2 minutes to descend to 90 feet, remain at 90 for 25 minutes. With 40/85, there's a 20' stop for 2 minutes and a 10' stop for 4 minutes, diver surfaces with 646 psi. With 75/85, there's a 10 foot stop for 5 minutes, diver surfaces with 687 psi. I found several cases like this where you end up with ~50 psi more gas in the tank. Which, for an untrained diver in a mandatory deco scenario, could make a difference.

Thoughts? Maybe I'm in the weeds here, I dunno.

GF Low doesn't apply to no-stop dives so it's reasonable for a computer that targets NDL divers to have GF Low = GF High presets. E.g. 4 out of 6 presets on SEAC guru: 93/93, 90/90, 80/80, 75/75, 90/30, and 89/20.
How about Ratio? Each line has 3 models, Pro, Deep, and Tech+. You do not get custom GFs, just presets, until you get to the Tech+ model The iX3M 2 Deep handles trimix, CCR and 10 gases, that sound like a pretty serious deco computer to me, only the presets.

Which, for an untrained diver in a mandatory deco scenario, could make a difference
For the untrained deco diver, I think it's a good idea to try to stop at 20 ft, at least briefly, regardless of which of those 2 GFs you use. There's less of an impact for an inadvertent overshoot. After that, they're largely similar for such a short obligation.

For OC Rec dives, do y'all have any opinions on whether the Shearwater default of 40/85 is reasonable, versus something like 75/85? I understand that for no-stop dives, GFLo does not enter the picture, but every now and then s--- happens and a no-stop dive becomes a deco dive. For that situation, I'd like to have my computer set to what I think is the safest option.

I tried punching several dive profiles that go a few minutes into unplanned deco into Subsurface, using its default of 0.7 cuft/min. For example: using air in a HP100 tank, 2 minutes to descend to 90 feet, remain at 90 for 25 minutes. With 40/85, there's a 20' stop for 2 minutes and a 10' stop for 4 minutes, diver surfaces with 646 psi. With 75/85, there's a 10 foot stop for 5 minutes, diver surfaces with 687 psi. I found several cases like this where you end up with ~50 psi more gas in the tank. Which, for an untrained diver in a mandatory deco scenario, could make a difference.

Hi Brett,

Those are good questions, I have asked them several times myself. I am mainly a rec diver and do mostly no stop dives. However, about 5% of my dives are planned light, backgas deco, and have been for about 15 years. Nearly all my deco is <10 min, occasionally a touch more.

Initially I dived just an Oceanic computer running DSAT and never had a stop deeper than 10 feet. I started diving a computer running Buhlmann in 2016 and chose a GF high of 95, to approximately match DSAT. Running the preset of 45/95, I would occasionally get a min or two at 20 feet. After the Doolette article, I switched to 80/95 and get all my deco at 10 ft. I do actively use the SurfGF on my Teric and surface no higher than the low 80s from dives very close to the NDL or deco.

For my simple diving, these settings work fine. I believe much of the controversy and debate concerns much more serious decompression diving, for which I have no experience or opinion.

Best of luck in your diving

No, you're correct. It takes a really dumb setting, like 10/90, to make a practical difference (I wouldn't call 50 psi "practical"), but that's the way it works: lower GF Low will generate more/deeper deco in the situation where you're likely already low on gas.

@Brett Hatch

Like you, I am always tempted to run simulations, this one on MultiDeco. stop time at 1 min.

1674167094739.png

Mostly weeds...
But assuming you have at the very most 10 mins of deco. And probably more like 5mins. And you are on the leftovers of your gas supply. Getting shallow and hanging out at 15-20ft - which is what every recreation table ever made recommends, is the prudent strategy. The minute or two you might spend at 30-40ft is pretty inconsequential one way or the other DCS wise. But you're using a little more gas, and that much further from the surface if you do run completely OOA and are forced into a CESA

My honest thought,

If you are planning deco dives with a single tank, it doesn't matter what GF you put in. The Gradient factor isn't what will wind up killing you.

What is this **** that happens making your no stop dive a deco dive?
Stop doing that. I have done a lot of no stop dives, can't say I have ever had one turn into a deco dive unexpectedly. You are diving too close to the edge if this is something you run into.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom