Whose moronic idea was it to stamp the cylinder crown?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Learner Diver

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Recently I visited an address to purchase a cylinder which the owner was selling. It had about 3 stamps on the crown which looked quite dodgy. I questioned why they were there and he said it was part of scuba safety standards. I asked him is that everywhere. He told me the UK was 3 years, the US was 5, China was 3 and Thailand was 7. I asked him why such a discrepancy. He just told me I was lucky I don’t dive in Australia where they purposely punch holes in your cylinder so as to make you purchase a brand new one every few years. I declined to buy the cylinder on grounds I wanted a second opinion.

I think you are asking if this is a real requirement? Yes, this is real. Cylinders get re-tested on a regular basis and they stamp the neck of the cylinder with quite dodgy looking stamps to show when it was last tested. If you don't like it, you will have to buy new cylinders every few years depending on where you live.

Reactions: L13
For the record, dive ops gloss over the tank hydro stamps extremely fast in training.

Because most of their tanks on the boat aren't up to date. The last thing they want, is noobs checking the stamps.

Recently I visited an address to purchase a cylinder which the owner was selling. It had about 3 stamps on the crown which looked quite dodgy. I questioned why they were there and he said it was part of scuba safety standards. I asked him is that everywhere. He told me the UK was 3 years, the US was 5, China was 3 and Thailand was 7. I asked him why such a discrepancy. He just told me I was lucky I don’t dive in Australia where they purposely punch holes in your cylinder so as to make you purchase a brand new one every few years. I declined to buy the cylinder on grounds I wanted a second opinion.
You got the U.K. (and other country) time frames wrong. Read the ISO on cylinder testing.

I found the link. Yes, you're correct.
That information is out of date, as the U.K. got a special amendment to the ISO. I was on the BSAC board (the U.K. Governing Body) at the time.

Testing:
O2 cleaning = 15 months.
Visual = 2.5 years,
Hydrostatic = 5 years.

The cylinders most at risk are 3Lt and less.

For the record, dive ops gloss over the tank hydro stamps extremely fast in training.

Because most of their tanks on the boat aren't up to date. The last thing they want, is noobs checking the stamps.
So dive operations tell their instructors to gloss over these requirements to cover up their inspection failures? Do they also tell their students to ignore that portion of the agency-provided academic materials? Is this true of all of the thousands of dive operations in the world?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom