Who's coming to Alaska??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have friends in North Pole that I need/want to visit again - last time we went camping for several days - had the time of my life up there... Cold and me get along great on dry land. Of course it was spring, so temp never got below -30 while I was there, but that was good enough for my Hawaiian blood :D If it wasn't for the lack of diving I'd like my next trip to be during the winter (I've seen summer and spring, love em' both up there).

btw - I do agree that it isn't the prettiest part of your state. I loved the Matanuska [spelling?] valley during the summer - and I spent some time on Lake Becharof (near King salmon ... sorrta) working at a children's camp - beautiful areas.

I'll definitely keep that in mind :) I'd really like to do some diving with you, and then head down south to the PNW and dive with the guys down there. If I plan this out right in a couple of years I can take a month off work and have an extended vacation :D

1300 miles North of Deadhorse?

That's pretty much exactly the North Pole... not Alaska any more =) In Mid-April, the Arctic Ocean is a big pile of ice. You taking an icebreaker up there? =p

Seadiver5:
I'll be diving about 1300 miles north of Deadhorse mid april if anyone wants to join me.

kidspot:
One of these days I GOTTA dive up there... but my trips will probably take me to the Fairbanks area ... any decent diving up there?

I have a diving contact in Fairbanks. If you're really interested I would be happy to get you in touch with him.

I know several divers in the area, after all..... I LIVE here!

Again, the diving in Fairbanks is not spectacular, and only doable in the very late spring / summer / very early fall.

For example, we can't even start here for another several weeks... the lakes are still frozen. Diving when 30 below zero? Not going to happen, ice is too thick, and even if you had a huge hole, your gear would freeze solid very quickly.

We usually drive the 6-8 hours south to Seward / Valdez / Whittier.

Just read your Bio Kevin... holy heck.. you really are diving in the North Pole. That's gotta be awesome!

-Brandon.

Seadiver5:
I'll be diving about 1300 miles north of Deadhorse mid april if anyone wants to join me.
You've peaked my interest....

Diving under Arctic and/or Antarctic ice is something I've wanted to do for a while now.

So .... what's the deal?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom