Who was born or lived near water

Do you think you dive because you live)lived) near water?

• Yes, I dive because I have(had) a direct access to the water

Votes: 71 56.3%
  • No, that was not a determinative in my decision

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never lived near any big body of water. I was hooked up by chance.

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • Other

Votes: 10 7.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No friggin water anywhere...except in the neighbour's pool. So I was one of those kids with the barbie doll hair from being in the chlorine to much. I was considered to be 'part-fish' so they told me.

BUT... in my teen years I did escape out to BC for a while. Right on the water...Esquimalt and Victoria. I still can't tell you why I came back...the sound of the ocean haunts me to this day! I truely miss it.

I got into diving initially through the Naval Reserves, in highschool. It was my trade. :)

I was born near the water in the famous potato province in the Gulf of St. Lawrence (PEI). I'm not sure it has much to do with my love of boats, swimming and diving though, as lots of my friends growing up didn't know how to swim. Maybe due to my parents who started taking me to the beach and into the water when I was about 6 months old. By the time I could walk, I could swim.
The most traumatic part of moving to Ontario (work) was the lack of water where we settled.
Scuba has been on my want to try that list since my teens and my wife gave me OW course for our 1st wedding anniversary (2nd time round for both of us). Loved it from the first breath underwater. Of course I returned the favour and gave her OW course for Christmas. Had we been diving already, we may have had a Scuba related ceremony, but since it pre-dated, we did it at the marina where we kept our boat, with wedding photos on the beach.

Learned to swim around the same age I learned to walk.

Probably spent more time at the local outdoor pool some summers than the staff did.

Eventually went on to do lifeguard/swim instructor.

Parents sail, and do lots of camping (including canoeing)

Both grandparents had cottages, so learned to snorkle, waterski, windsurf, (plus more swimming, sailing, and canoeing) there from various family members (just about everyone in the family is reasonably aquatic)

And, the big one, I don't float. Not "I don't know how to float", but "I have a specific gravity higher than water's and am incapable of floating". So by the time I went for my cert. I probably already had a couple hundred hours of underwater time.

So Nah, presence of water had absolutely nothing to do with me getting into scuba... <grin>

Jamie

I am very fortunate to live close to the beautiful Pacific Ocean. I can get to the local dive spots in about half an hour. Anywhere from San Diego CA to Santa Barbara CA in a couple of hours. I take advantage of it every weekend.

:) :)

I was born and grew up perhaps 35 miles from the coast. Lived most of my life there, got interested in scuba while planning a trip to Hawaii with the Fam. All 11 of us. Became single about 14 yrs ago and moved to the beach. Left it a tad over 3 yrs ago to have a horse ranch, seems silly I know but the good news is I sold all the critters and next month I will be in my new place...............125 yards to the beach just notrh of the Palos Verdes Penensula. Killer kelp and good free diving.................YES
Bill

I got my start growing up on the Jersey shore spend most of my summers at Manisquan...... then my father got transfered to this land locked place called Wisconsin..... and it ended up being almost 33 years later before I finally did something about it........ all I wish now is that I would have done it sooner!
Rob

I too was born in the hospital......so I could be near my mother.

Raised on Staten Island, lived for many years on Manhattan island, yet never knew squat about the ocean. Now live in Ventura CA, gateway to the Channel Islands.

I learned to dive because my wife came with me to a music festival I played in Puerto Rico, and she took a resort course with the hunky hotel instructor. Couldn't let THAT go on, now could I?

Neil

Born on this island overseas named Japan (Air Force Brat). Spent virtually everyday of my early life on the beach with Mom or Dad (so I've been told, I don't exactly remember). Have lived near lakes or the ocean ever since (except for four years in Arizona). Doesn't seem to have had anything to do with learning to dive since I didn't do that till relatively recently (I've regretted not doing it sooner ever since learning). :)

I was born in the Amniotic Sea off the shores of the Isle of Placenta and I cried when they removed me from the water...
:eek:ut:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom