Who was born or lived near water

Do you think you dive because you live)lived) near water?

• Yes, I dive because I have(had) a direct access to the water

Votes: 71 56.3%
  • No, that was not a determinative in my decision

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never lived near any big body of water. I was hooked up by chance.

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • Other

Votes: 10 7.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Born in Fla, grew up water skiing on the lakes. I had a reoccuring dream about drowning. Started scuba diving to confront the fear. Now I would rather be under the water than on top of it.
SGt

I was born in Mississippi. Moved to San Diego CA. when I was 3. Moved to Hawaii when I was 6. Moved to Long Beach CA. when I was 12.

I began freediving in Southern California when I was 14. I was certified (Scuba Diver - Naui - in 1969) when I was 16. I currently live and dive in Southern California. I travel to Miami, Florida frequently on business I do a lot of diving there.

The Hospital ship USS Benevolence took me & my family to Hawaii, the first time.
The Hospital Ship USS Hope brought us back Stateside.
Some of my first memories are of playing around the Bomb shelters of Navy Housing at Pearl Harbor.
We saw the first Army / Navy football game ever played outside the Continental US while there.
Dad was part of the salvage & repair crews at Pearl Harbor.
Silver plated salt & pepper shakers made from .50 cal. cases are dated 1942.
Proximity to Water has Definitely been a major factor.

Born about 6 miles from the beach, up until a short while ago, I never lived further than 4 miles from the beach.
My first "apartment" was ON the beach.
My will says "scatter me on the beach"

Born next to a river,lived next to the Gulf of Mexico,the Med,the Persian gulf,served in the USN,currently live on a creek that feeds the ICW.There seems to be a thread here.I live next to the water so I can be on it and in it.

Always been surrounded (literally) by water.

Born and raised in Hawaii - going to the beach, snorkeling, swimming was always part of my life.

Decided to learn SCUBA because I wanted to be able to cruise around the reefs, get closer looks and stay longer than was possible while snorkeling.

I was born in West Palm Beach, Florida, then moved to Puerto Rico for a few years. Learned to swim before I walked.

There are pictures somewhere of me crawling around by the pool in diapers with 'floaties' on my arms...

THEN came the move to NYC and the first time I ever saw SNOW!!! It was wierd... I had never worn anything heavier than a windbreaker in my life till then...

Spent summers as a camper and eventualy as a lifeguard at boyscout camps untill done with highschool.

Didn't do much with water (except bathe of course :wink: ) after that for several years till a SCUBA instructor started working evenings at the company I was with at the time.

We became friends and he asked if I'd be interested in getting certified...

6 years later, I just got my divemaster cert card (my instructor handed to me this morning)...

Born near Pensacola, summered most of my life off Northern Lake Michigan, and they had nothing to do with diving. I waited until I got to a more inconvenient place to take up diving.

I am fortunate to live in the house I grew up in. It is on the shore of Lake Michigan. My interest in scuba mirrors that of Big-t-2538. I started swimming very young. This led to skin diving, which led to scuba.
I remember when I was very young we used to take the row boat down to the corner to check the mail. I would peer over the transom and watch the bottom go by. The prospect of getting a closer look still gets my blood flowing, even after uh-hum forty years.

Jim
:)

curious....

From water I came.... I'm confident one day water will take me home.

Swim team whole life (I was that green-haired kid in grade school....) Competitive swimming from age 5, Diving team, swim team, lifesaving, etc.

Sinus surgery in High School (I guess 4 - 6 hours in a hyper-chlorinated public pool every day for 10 years is NOT good for you... who knew?) abruptly ended my swimming career. Became a runner.

Always a fisherman - from age 10. Avid fisherman. Salt water, fresh water, fly, spin, whatever. Brief state record holder, etc.

Kayaker. That's another story sometime.

I need to be near water. Its in my soul. I lived in the valleys far from water for the first 38 years of my life - but always stayed near the water - every weekend to fish, to kayak, to walk, to dream, to pray. Lake, stream, delta, river, ocean...it doesn't matter much. The unspeakable draw is hard to explain to non-water people. I know most of you get it. I look at the water, and I see the thoughtful hand of a loving creator. Simply the fact it freezes from the top down (unlike most non-water liquids) to protect the life within is so miraculous. I have given years of thought to water - its creation, its purpose, its fundamental importance, its priceless value to each of us. The cleansing, the sustenance, the refreshing, the rebirth typology of emersion, the renewal after a rain. It's too intense for me to even write here about. I well up, even now. I need it in my life.

Now I live moments from the beach. I will never again live farther from water that I do now.

K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom