who teaches solo diving in PI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blox:
padiscubapro,

I'd be interested to see what prerequisites/prior qualifications ANDI expects for the course as well as some course outline. I've looked at ANDI's website but could not find it. Would you happen to know where to find it?

I'll put something together for you.. There are too many classes to list all of them on the website.. I'll try and reply within the next day or two..

Thanks for the input everyone.

I’m glad to know that the course is offered here in Palawan. I have not met Gunter but a lot of people say he’s a very good instructor. I think the SDI recreational solo course will be good enough for me because my primary reason for getting into it is simply to learn skills that will make diving even safer (does this make sense?). I still prefer diving with a group or a buddy whenever possible but there will always be situations when a diver is “virtually solo” even with a buddy around (especially when either one is carrying a camera). Basically, I just want to be equipped and ready to deal with a problem or emergency in case my buddy or guide is too far or too preoccupied to help.

The farthest I would go with a solo license is to dive in a group without an assigned buddy or maybe go out on a shallow, familiar reef in very calm and clear water - with my husband snorkeling on the surface for good measure (he doesn’t dive because of an ear problem). I think some resorts allow you to do that as long as you stay close to shore. Don’t worry Paolo, I don’t plan to dive from an anchored boat in the middle of the ocean all by myself. There are people who are skilled enough and brave enough to do that but I’m certainly not one of them. Marami pa akong responsibilidad sa buhay and that’s why I want to make sure that this wonderful hobby won’t be my mode of exit.

Would anyone know the SDI course prerequisites?

padiscubapro:
unfortunately by having it as a rec class you are missing some of the most important skills and concepts for solo diving.. That is having a fully redundant system and being conforftable with valve shutdown.. plus its still handled as a recclass and full planning like a tech diver does is not required in the sdi class... As serious short comming in my book..

I am not saying the class is without merit..just that it only goes half way and promotes solo diving for divers that still may be lacking some skilsets..
I guess it depends on your idea of a fully redundant system. In my class, the requirement was for doubles or Pony bottle for air redundancy.

Judging from the materials and approach, my impression was that the instructor has a lot of autonomy in the way the course is run. I honesty felt that it was run much more like a technical course rather than rec.

One of the greatest shortcomings in my estimation was using that Solo Diving book as the required text.That text sits in the chair right next to useless IMO.

Jim

jagfish:
I guess it depends on your idea of a fully redundant system. In my class, the requirement was for doubles or Pony bottle for air redundancy.

Judging from the materials and approach, my impression was that the instructor has a lot of autonomy in the way the course is run. I honesty felt that it was run much more like a technical course rather than rec.

One of the greatest shortcomings in my estimation was using that Solo Diving book as the required text.That text sits in the chair right next to useless IMO.

Jim

I should clarify my previous statement..
Sdi does require some type of redundant air source... twins w/isolation, independent twins, h-valve, pony, and even a spare air (now thats crazy)..

My problem is the way it is required.. the eqpt is required but the training and drills that go along with things like twins and h vales is not required.. If you are going to require these as an option full training with them should be mandatory (or at least have a pre requisite class that included this training)...

The way its approached the only real viable choice is a pony bottle, or find an instructor that treat it like a technical diver program and runs all the necessary drills...

Blox:
padiscubapro,

I'd be interested to see what prerequisites/prior qualifications ANDI expects for the course as well as some course outline. I've looked at ANDI's website but could not find it. Would you happen to know where to find it?

This is an abreviated outline.. The way the instructor manual is set up its not easy to give you a really detailed outline

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
STUDENT PREREQUISITES:
a)​
[/FONT]at least 21 years of age

b)​
[/FONT]Advanced OW or equivalently experienced

c)​
[/FONT]ANDI CSU or equivalent. (if done in conjuction with TSD, or must be TSD certified)
d)​
documentation verifying current diving activity AND a total diving experience of not
less than 100 dives, 10 dives of which have been 30 msw ( 100 fsw ) or deeper.

e)​
[/FONT]Evaluation by the ANDI Instructor to confirm suitability for this specialty. Technical
Instructors must conduct a candidate interview
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic]and [/FONT]consider the candidates attitude
general skills and diving experience when making their decision regarding admission
of a given candidate into this level of diving. There are mental and psychological
aspects of solo diving that are quite different than buddy team activities. Many may
be physically prepared but not emotionally suitable. This is a two part evaluation:
interview and evaluation dive (the first dive of any ANDI technical course)

f)​
Completed ANDI forms : Medical Questionnaire and 2 Liability Release forms.
Additional requirements may apply according to Regional Headquarter’s requirements for local diving.

[/FONT][/FONT]​

The Part 1 Class Module titles and primary topics are:​
CM 1 ) Diving Solo: A Practical Approach
CM 2 ) Equipment Requirements
CM 3 ) Nitrogen Theory Review: Decompression and Narcosis
CM 4 ) Dive Planning and Navigation
CM 5 ) Emergency Procedures
6 - 8 hours theory if taught as an independent program.
4 - 6 hours of theory including a review of several TSD topics for TSD certified students.​

Dive # 1 Confined Environment or Confined Openwater Permitted
May not exceed 40fsw \ 12msw
Review TSD Skills (Optional at Instructor’s Discretion and within 90 days of TSD)
[/FONT]
Equipment Check
Breath-Holding & Stress Management
Swimming While Breath-Holding
Gas Loss Simulation
Equipment Removal and Replacement (optional)
Lift Bag Deployment
Line Reel with Dive Light Handling
Navigation Proficiency (optional)
Instructor Evaluation and Counseling
Dive # 2 May not exceed 40fsw \ 12msw
Perform SLD Skills​
[/FONT]
Equipment Check
Blind Descent
Visibility Loss Simulation
Equipment Removal and Replacement
Clearing Entanglement - Self-rescue
Breathing Rate Evaluation
Navigation Proficiency
Blind Ascent
Dive # 3
Perform SLD Skills​
[/FONT]
Equipment Check
Modified ANDI Descent
Gas Loss Simulation
Emergency Drill
Navigation Proficiency
ANDI Ascent Procedure
[/FONT]

I think there is a certain joy in describing Philippine diving which is not unlike describing the mechanics of making love: it's impossible doing it alone; and if you try you'll probably go blind.... :D

padiscubapro:
This is an abreviated outline.. The way the instructor manual is set up its not easy to give you a really detailed outline

STUDENT PREREQUISITES:
a)​
[/FONT]at least 21 years of age

b)​
[/FONT]Advanced OW or equivalently experienced

c)​
[/FONT]ANDI CSU or equivalent. (if done in conjuction with TSD, or must be TSD certified)
d)​
documentation verifying current diving activity AND a total diving experience of not
less than 100 dives, 10 dives of which have been 30 msw ( 100 fsw ) or deeper.

e)​
[/FONT]Evaluation by the ANDI Instructor to confirm suitability for this specialty. Technical
Instructors must conduct a candidate interview
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic]and [/FONT]consider the candidates attitude
general skills and diving experience when making their decision regarding admission
of a given candidate into this level of diving. There are mental and psychological
aspects of solo diving that are quite different than buddy team activities. Many may
be physically prepared but not emotionally suitable. This is a two part evaluation:
interview and evaluation dive (the first dive of any ANDI technical course)

f)​
Completed ANDI forms : Medical Questionnaire and 2 Liability Release forms.
Additional requirements may apply according to Regional Headquarter’s requirements for local diving.

[/FONT][/FONT]​

The Part 1 Class Module titles and primary topics are:​
CM 1 ) Diving Solo: A Practical Approach
CM 2 ) Equipment Requirements
CM 3 ) Nitrogen Theory Review: Decompression and Narcosis
CM 4 ) Dive Planning and Navigation
CM 5 ) Emergency Procedures
6 - 8 hours theory if taught as an independent program.
4 - 6 hours of theory including a review of several TSD topics for TSD certified students.​

Dive # 1 Confined Environment or Confined Openwater Permitted
May not exceed 40fsw \ 12msw
Review TSD Skills (Optional at Instructor’s Discretion and within 90 days of TSD)
[/FONT]
Equipment Check
Breath-Holding & Stress Management
Swimming While Breath-Holding
Gas Loss Simulation
Equipment Removal and Replacement (optional)
Lift Bag Deployment
Line Reel with Dive Light Handling
Navigation Proficiency (optional)
Dive # 2 May not exceed 40fsw \ 12msw
Perform SLD Skills​
[/FONT]
Equipment Check
Blind Descent
Visibility Loss Simulation
Equipment Removal and Replacement
Clearing Entanglement - Self-rescue
Navigation Proficiency
Blind Ascent
Dive # 3
Perform SLD Skills​
[/FONT]
Equipment Check
Modified ANDI Descent
Gas Loss Simulation
Emergency Drill
Navigation Proficiency
ANDI Ascent Procedure
[/FONT]

padiscubapro:

<snip>

padiscubapro,

thanks for the write-up - that's sincerely appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom