who teaches solo diving in PI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

padiscubapro:
the main difference is that the SDI solo diver program is a recreational rating and has the course content and equipment requirements of such, the ANDI program is a technical diver program, and requires all the gear, knowledge and skills of a tech program...

aside from teaching the person on Solo Diving, the resort managers still needs to be informed of such, as most resorts are very hesitant to let a diver go solo.... maybe it has something to do with having to pay a local guide....... here i am guessing.....

but i do solo dive where i may be permitted.

SDI also has a solo release form to ease along the process.

My take so for is that it has been a pretty successful course for SDI, and anywhere that teaches the course, must logically allow the activity.

Spoon:
yup hes good, i was supposed to take the extended range program with him but i decided to postpone for now.

ya his the franchise holder of SDI/TDI in the Philippines and could do SDI/TDI instructor and instructor-crossover courses as well. I just find it hard to understand his german-english sometimes.

Axua:
ya his the franchise holder of SDI/TDI in the Philippines and could do SDI/TDI instructor and instructor-crossover courses as well. I just find it hard to understand his german-english sometimes.

hahhahahaha... talk to Dr. Mike Perez then ...

jagfish:
SDI also has a solo release form to ease along the process.

My take so for is that it has been a pretty successful course for SDI, and anywhere that teaches the course, must logically allow the activity.

unfortunately by having it as a rec class you are missing some of the most important skills and concepts for solo diving.. That is having a fully redundant system and being conforftable with valve shutdown.. plus its still handled as a recclass and full planning like a tech diver does is not required in the sdi class... As serious short comming in my book..

I am not saying the class is without merit..just that it only goes half way and promotes solo diving for divers that still may be lacking some skilsets..

PSA offers solo diving courses too (not sure if they are represented in the Philippines though).

padiscubapro:
We have been teaching it (officially) about 5 years, we already had a program when SDI announced theirs (just never really promoted it), the main difference is that the SDI solo diver program is a recreational rating and has the course content and equipment requirements of such, the ANDI program is a technical diver program, and requires all the gear, knowledge and skills of a tech program...

padiscubapro,

I'd be interested to see what prerequisites/prior qualifications ANDI expects for the course as well as some course outline. I've looked at ANDI's website but could not find it. Would you happen to know where to find it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom