Who takes care of the locals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most public and semi-public golf courses I've played, all across the Western USA and Hawaii, have resident rates and visitor rates. Not a big issue. And all my relatives that visit our Kuilima vacation rental have both Hawaii Library cards and Hawaii State ID. Very easy.

Add to this the fact that the average 2-tank trip in Hawaii is $120. That's about twice the going rate for Mexico - and the diving's arguably better there. Even at Kamaaina rates, you're paying more than a tourist in Cozumel. Good thing Hawaii shore diving rivals boat diving - eh?

M

The cost of living in Hawaii is WAY more than in Mexico...so no comparison. Dives cost different amounts in different places. The shop I dive with in Kona pays a huge mortgage, huge insurances, employee benefits, mega bucks for top of the line employee health insurance for about 30 people, etc etc. Do the dive shops in Cozumel have these expenses?

Hey cuddlefish - I was referencing "Originally Posted by Black_3000psi
........charge the visitors more then the local population, this will make sure that people will come back every chance they get."

The speculation was that resident rates offends people -- and that's a reason they don't return. I venture that high prices are another (probably more valid) reason they don't come back. It's just a fact. I was pretty shocked at the rates the first time I dove there. Dive ops in Key Largo have the same high costs that your shop does; but they manage to average $80 instead of $120. It's an international market out there, too. Is your TV made in the US? Why not? Do you really care that the Koreans who made your TV or car don't have "these expenses"? I don't think most diving tourists that come to Hawaii come primarily to dive anyway. Diving is incidental. If I'm going to take a trip just to dive, it's not going to be to Hawaii. Sorry if this offends anyone.

Mark

Dive ops in Key Largo have the same high costs that your shop does; but they manage to average $80 instead of $120.

Sorry if this offends anyone.

Howard, I think if you compare two prominent dive operations, Jack's Diving Locker in Kona and Ocean Divers in Key Largo, it is blatently obvious they do not have the same high costs.

Ocean Divers owners probably have owned both their buildings outright for many years and has 3 tenents paying rent in the main building. The two cattle boats tie up right in front of the building on their private dock, which also includes a fuel station. Their pool is maintained by the hotel next door, because it is owned by the hotel next door. Did I mention there is a hotel right next door?

Jack's has to be in debt way past their eyeballs, after the shopping center upgrade which resulted in custom training pool and tech filling station to name a couple. Not only do they most likely pay rent + percentage of profits to the landowner, they pay slip fees for at least two boats with way less available seating for customers. Fuel is more expensive, electricity is more expensive, various other business expenses are more expensive not the least of which is higher employee pay (trust me the cost of living is way higher in Kona than in Key Largo). Not only that, the anuall visitor base from which to cull customers is probably not 10% that of Key Largo, mostly because there is a highway to Key Largo.

I'd be surprised if comparable dive shop operating costs are even half as high in the Keys vs Hawaii, so it seems to me they are the ones overcharging from a profit percentage point of view.

I wanted to see it anyone knows a dive operator who takes care of local divers. What I am getting at is Kamaaina rates. I live on Oahu and would like to do more boat dives, but it really hits the wallet. I have all my gear and just want to get out to some new spots. Is there any love for the locals from any of the dive shops on the islands?

Try Rainbow Divers, I usually go out with them when there is no shore diving to be had or want to do a boat dive. Good price and don't have to join a club.

Wow this thread has heated up a bit!

The differences between local fees and tourist fees is perhaps offensive if people are blatant however it is pretty easy to avoid the offense. I usually pay the operator on the down low after the tourists have settled up and don't make the difference obvious or known.

When I first came to Hawaii diving was costly, but after a while I made contacts as the divers are a friendly bunch here. I have been grandfathered into 3 clubs and they charge no yearly fees just because I was will to lug a few tanks or met them on reef clean-ups. Cost fade from $100 to $60 to $50 or less!

What I would like to see is a locals pricing (even if it was still $70-80) offered on the other islands. This is ONE island chain and one state after all. Where is the discount for Maui divers visiting Oahu? Vice Versa....after all in times of economic downturn the locals keep afloat the industries that tourists enjoy in boom times.

When away from Hawaii I have no problem with paying the 'tourist price.'

You did say islands, didn't you? Here on Kauai, we love da locals! We will take you on a guided shore dive anytime, no charge. As for a boat, Fathom Five has some great deals for Kama'aina.

Respect da locals...

Palu Ku Kai

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom