Who takes care of the locals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gunslinger808

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I wanted to see it anyone knows a dive operator who takes care of local divers. What I am getting at is Kamaaina rates. I live on Oahu and would like to do more boat dives, but it really hits the wallet. I have all my gear and just want to get out to some new spots. Is there any love for the locals from any of the dive shops on the islands?

There is the Breeze dive club, the Dive Oahu Dive club - they offer diving at discounted rates to club members. If you call and ask for Kama'aina rates there are some operators that just offer you the seat costs - just call and ask.

If you are military you might want to check out the Sea Lancers group over at the air force base...Some operators also offer military discounts too...just gotta ask for it.

Aaron's Dive Shop in Kailua offers kama'aina rates. If you have your own gear, they offer even more of a discount. When booking your charter, be sure to let the folk at the shop know that you're seeking kama'aina/military/whatever rates, and they'll accommodate you.

The shop is also in the process of pepping up its dive club, which should offer more savings. They will offer heavily discounted boat charters (one per week, Monday through Sunday) and plan to set up special Club Member three tankers and Club night dives. There will also be deals on air refills; discounts on rental gear for most of the week; discounted continuing education classes; and discounts on non-sale items in the store. Call the store for more information - I'm sure they'd be happy to hear from you. The young lady heading up the dive club is called Liz.

I dive with both Kaimana and Breeze. Awesome Peeps!

J

Kamaaina rates....only in hawaii. i wonder how many people dont come to hawaii because they feel like they are getting shafted once they become aware of this Kamaaina rates thing. and the logic makes perfect sense to me charge the visitors more then the local population, this will make sure that people will come back every chance they get.

........charge the visitors more then the local population, this will make sure that people will come back every chance they get.

Add to this the fact that the average 2-tank trip in Hawaii is $120. That's about twice the going rate for Mexico - and the diving's arguably better there. Even at Kamaaina rates, you're paying more than a tourist in Cozumel. Good thing Hawaii shore diving rivals boat diving - eh?

M

Kamaaina rates....only in hawaii,,,, try going to disneyland or disneyworld,,,, big difference in price if you live near there or are visiting,, still people go there,,, i have

You are quite right. I lived in the LA area and it was a nice discount to get in because I was a local. Even the yearly passes would pay for themselves if you went 4 times in the year.

I can understand why shops in tourist areas give a discount to locals. If you have 2 tourists diving 6 days a year on vacation you don't make as much as a local patron diving every other week for a year, even at a discount. It's kind of like a tank fill card. Just think of it as the diver buying 10x 2/3 tank 1 day packages at a deal. If you look around a lot of amusement parks/tourist businesses do deals like this.

LoboMX

i wonder how many people dont come to hawaii because they feel like they are getting shafted once they become aware of this Kamaaina rates thing.
You think that does not exist most everywhere??

I lived and dived in SoCal for years. Damn few non-locals know how to call the Spectre in Ventrua and log a trip. All else go through the dive ops that had 3/4 days blocked out, and pay the markup, + tanks. + equipment, etc.

Dive ops need a constant flow to operate. Once a year vacation divers are an unknown quantity, locals that dive as often as possible are not. Taking care of those who live, work, and dive here is sound business. Quite possible they make little or no profit on us, but they know we will be here year after year..........

Quantity vs. "quality"....cough cough...........

P.S. Add Island Divers to the list that at least has a locals club...........

Back
Top Bottom