Who should use a CCR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So... which CCR is the best? I'm just kidding!

That's easy:

"The one I own, because I would never buy anything but the best!" :)

I think you kind of glossed over that a bit. There are places I go regularly - popular places in NC - where you can't get an O2 fill (without a drive that can be short or long depending on specifically where you are) and/or you can't buy sorb. Pre-planning of logistics is definitely more important with a CCR than if you're diving OC where you really only HAVE to find someone with a basic scuba compressor.
Fair enough. I was referring to the situation in South Africa (the questioner's location) where the bulk of scuba fills are coming from an LDS. The bulk of those have O2 as well for nitrox purposes. Even in small coastal places there is usually at least one O2 source in the neighbourhood.

Sorb needs to be ordered, unless you are diving Sodwana or Aliwal Shoals where there is enough CCR activity to ensure a good supply.

I dive CCR exclusively. The assertion that a rebreather is only a tool for certain dives is usually made by people with little or no experience with CCRs. CCRs enhance the diving experience in every way, period.

Why would I want to maintain equipment and proficiency on equipment for various diving modes (single tank,doubles, ccr) when I can use a CCR for all the diving I do?

Fair enough. I was referring to the situation in South Africa (the questioner's location) where the bulk of scuba fills are coming from an LDS. The bulk of those have O2 as well for nitrox purposes.

That was really my point. The "bulk" is not all. Thus, you really need to check before you go there expecting to dive your CCR and get fills. I have dived a few times with Discovery Diving, down in Beaufort, NC. It's a "LDS". They do training, sell gear, and run boat charters as well. And they don't have O2. You can get air fills and they bank EAN30, and that's it.

I get it Stuart. North Carolina isn't South Africa though. All that being said, it always makes sense to line up your support elements before planning a dive or any activity.

And by bulk I meant 99% plus. I know of maybe 2 of the hundreds of divers I've dived with there who don't use an LDS for fills. Every LDS I've been to has had O2, I'm sure there are some that don't so I hedged my bets with "bulk"

That was really my point. The "bulk" is not all. Thus, you really need to check before you go there expecting to dive your CCR and get fills. I have dived a few times with Discovery Diving, down in Beaufort, NC. It's a "LDS". They do training, sell gear, and run boat charters as well. And they don't have O2. You can get air fills and they bank EAN30, and that's it.

plenty of shops in that area fill O2 btw. Aquatic Safaris, Olympus, etc. will have O2 and Helium for you. Discovery is not imho the best representation of NC Coast dive shops, especially if you have any technical requirements. Probably not going to have sorb but VERY few shops actually carry it because it has a shelf life. Best to just order it and have a keg shipped to where you're going which is what most do

plenty of shops in that area fill O2 btw. Aquatic Safaris, Olympus, etc. will have O2 and Helium for you. Discovery is not imho the best representation of NC Coast dive shops, especially if you have any technical requirements. Probably not going to have sorb but VERY few shops actually carry it because it has a shelf life. Best to just order it and have a keg shipped to where you're going which is what most do

I know. I mostly just stick to Olympus now, for diving in that area. But, I was discussing some dive plans for Hatteras with people this weekend who have dived from there numerous times and they said you pretty much have to bring any O2 you need if you're going there.

And, like I said, it was just an example. The point was to not gloss over CCR diving as if you can reliably dive a CCR any old place, just like you could with OC. It seems to me that there is definitely more pre-planning and confirming of logistics (like getting O2 fills) with CCR. That's all.

I have a 15l of o2 in my garage which I take on trips if o2 supply is unknown. Getting good fills can sometimes be an issue but 100 bar will usually do. Some places are also nasty about charging and want paying as if the cylinder started empty every time.

I used to make regularly scheduled trips to Liquid Gas for my oxygen and helium needs but now I have 3 dive shops within a 45 minute drive of my house that can mix anything and everything I'm looking for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom