Who should use a CCR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doctormike

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This question came up in another thread.

Should CCRs only be used for dives that can’t easily be done on open circuit, or is it a reasonable option for an experienced open water diver? I’m thinking about this because a very experienced diver insulted me for making the switch without needing a CCR as the only tool for the job. At first, I was annoyed. But then again, maybe he is right?

I’m a relatively new CCR diver after a number of years of OC diving, including AN/deco in the northeast United States, with a little over 900 dives.

I am really enjoying my rebreather. I find the technical aspects fascinating and I like the challenge of the new skills and protocols. I like long dives with warm gas. I like having extra time underwater to deal with some problems. I like not having to haul two sets of double 119s around, with two trips each week in the season to a dive shop in midtown traffic. I’m looking foreward to doing mod 2 in the future, so that I can get back to staged decompression. I have found a great community of CCR divers who are very eager to help new people. I haven’t noticed much of a difference in the response of fish life to me in my rebreather.

On the other hand, I don’t plan on doing any dives that I couldn’t do on open circuit. I don’t want to do cave diving, or wrecks so deep that the volume of carried gas becomes a limiting factor.

Was he right? Is this just extra risk with no significant benefit? Am I just playing techie dress-up make pretend?

What made him say that you didn't need the tool? I find you to be a fairly accomplished photographer. I think that once you learn to dive again, your photography will take a leap. Somewhere. Anyway, as you and I have discussed, to me a rebreather is a tool. It is a tool for diving deep or making penetration dives. It is a tool for photographers. It is a tool for collecting biological samples. Seems to me that you are using the tool properly.

Thanks!

Actually, I'm having a lot of fun with the camera on CCR dives. The one thing that I don't really notice is fish life ignoring me... Maybe I will get more stealthy as I get better...

I think that his point was that unless you NEED a CCR for something, you shouldn't use one. That seems to be a common opinion around here, so I thought I would see what people thought about that in general.

It's funny. I have heard that same thing. Why use a CCR for dives you can do OC? Then I see some VERY experienced divers, people who absolutely 100% could do a dive OC, and they are on a rebreather. I'm not going to drop names, but some of them are divers beyond reproach. Why did they do the dive on a CCR instead of OC? Because they wanted to. Not because they had to, or because of cost, or lugging tanks.

Any time I'm on a boat and I hear the comments..."Check this guy out, doing a 100' wreck dive on a rebreather, isn't he special" I just laugh. First one in the water and by far the last one out, starting my deco hang while they are on their surface interval. Doing my last 3 stops while they do their second 20 minute dive.

I dive CCR because I want to and because I can. Can I dive OC? Sure. I've done weeklong trips open circuit, and had a lot of fun doing it. But at least once (and usually more than once!) I think damn...wish I could have brought my breather.

It is your diving and your life. If to you the benefits of CCR diving outweigh the potential risks, go for it. Some of my absolute best CCR dives have been above 80'. There's nothing like a 2 hour reef dive in 84 degree water, playing around in the shallows, hunting for cool little critters.

Anyone who tells me I should not be diving a rebreather had better have a better answer than "because it's going to kill you!" when I ask them why. My days under the water are numbered and I choose the way I do them. If someone doesn't like it, they can buddy up with someone else. I'm totally happy diving CCR solo.

Thanks!

Actually, I'm having a lot of fun with the camera on CCR dives. The one thing that I don't really notice is fish life ignoring me... Maybe I will get more stealthy as I get better...

I think that his point was that unless you NEED a CCR for something, you shouldn't use one. That seems to be a common opinion around here, so I thought I would see what people thought about that in general.
I've seen GUE divers state as much on SB. Is the person you were talking to a GUE diver?

Otherwise, it's merely a matter of opinion. Is the added risk worth the reward? You made the decision that it was, right?

Personally, if I was diving an RB I'd be on trimix classes like stink on stinky stuff. All the benefits of trimix with a tiny helium bill - if I understand correctly (maybe I don't).

Last year (after much deliberation) I got a wife instead of a rebreather. It's still on the someday list, although being married now I'll have to get approval for such an expense.

Anyone that wants to, can afford to and has the mental discipline to dive it in a way that won't get them hurt unnecessarily.

Also, for any purpose. 30' reef swim? Go for it. I have had the most amazing dives at 20' on the RB with animal interactions that were out of this world. I like my unit, I dive it meticulously whenever and wherever I want to within my training and personal limits.

I will NEVER need to defend that choice to anyone. I'm so tired of the "CCR is only a tool that you are only allowed to use when we feel it's justified " bunch.

I have flown 500 knots at 50' , don't tell me I can't dive my RB on a shallow reef and enjoy the fish.

Cave diving. Deep wreck diving. Rebreather diving.

Each of these are recreational activities that most people do for fun, yet they are all associated with unique risks and they all require specialized training to mitigate those risks. For some reason, if someone thinks it's fun to see what's in the second class dining room of the Andrea Doria, or what's beyond a no-mount restriction deep into a cave, that's cool, but if they just enjoy CCR diving, that's unacceptable.

I dive CCR because I want to and because I can. Can I dive OC? Sure. I've done weeklong trips open circuit, and had a lot of fun doing it. But at least once (and usually more than once!) I think damn...wish I could have brought my breather.

Precisely !!!! Also, i am an UWP'er, I enjoy the benefits of moist warm air, silence, longer and deeper, get closer to "big life", gas economy, etc. FWIW, I am a Recreational Rebreather diver. If nothing else, I just ENJOY Rebreather dving, regardless of "needing the correct tool", etc. If someone wants to dive a RB, then so be it. Do a "try/demo dive", (or 2 or 3 of them), read up, ask questions, pursuit your dreams !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom