Who should use a CCR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive CCR exclusively. The assertion that a rebreather is only a tool for certain dives is usually made by people with little or no experience with CCRs. CCRs enhance the diving experience in every way, period.
It even enhances the risk! Woo!

I have been told that an hour dive is the threshold for using a RB. Less than an hour and it is not worth the setup, pre-breath and clean up effort of diving a RB.

Is there a "time" limited dive where you would chose OC over a RB?

I have been told that an hour dive is the threshold for using a RB. Less than an hour and it is not worth the setup, pre-breath and clean up effort of diving a RB.

Time is not the only benefit or "component of fun" of a rebreather.

I am trying to stick to CCR for all dives, basically because (1) the more time on the rebreather, the better in terms of experience, and (2) it doesn't seem to be too good an idea to switch back and forth, especially for someone like myself who isn't diving constantly as an instructor, etc... (muscle memory, internalizing procedures, etc..).

Besides, if I'm diving the CCR because I like it, why wouldn't I want to use it on all dives (as muzikbiz pointed out)? It takes a bit more time to set up and clean, but time efficiency isn't a major consideration in my diving.

It's a PITA when you are diving 2 tank dives and it's the whole 50 minutes or 50 bar thing. I wouldn't break out the CCR for 2 dives like that.

When we are doing the day on the same site then we usually dive the first dive, through the SI and then surface at the end of the 2nd dive for around 3 hours of dive time. Then it's a pleasure.

>3hrs or deeper than ~150' is roughly my line in the sand.

I'll take one of my rebreathers out on a 2 dive reef drift or a 70' wreck...whatever. In my opinion, the time required to properly set up and break down a CCR is about the same as 2 dives on OC. The one difference for me is that I need to be left the hell alone for a bit before each dive, and sometimes when people who don't know CCR want to ask a million questions or tell me all about the friend of a guy he was on a boat with 3 years ago died on a rebreather and I'm going to die if I keep it up.

When I first got my RB I did every dive for the first year with it. Few CCR buddies so dove with OC buddies. Almost all my dives were under an hour. As I continued, I found other buddies and started doing dives longer than an hour. I found 2hr about my limit in PNW waters.

After 5 years I decided to become an OW instructor, and started diving OC again. Since then I tend to use OC for certain sites that are shallow and short dives (under an hour) and use the RB on other dives. I now find that if I do dive the RB, I plan to be down over an hour. Fortunately my buddies are of the same mindset, so its' good.

I think the turning point for me was when I was using the RB on all dives, and offered to lead a "club" dive. One fellow showed up, totally unprepared for diving in our cold water and long out of practice. I logged a 15 min dive that day, but still had the full post dive and cleanup. As I said, that was the turning point for using RB for all dives.

However, even though wreck dives are often less than an hour here, I still find the RB valuable because it does shorten deco and/or allow me to be down longer than if I were on OC. Plus, with the RB and adequate bailout I can penetrate the wrecks with a lot less anxiety about available gas.

I dive CCR for everything. It's just a matter of familiarity I guess. I conducted a RB trydive a month ago and put on an OC bcd and the whole thing just weird to me.
CCR takes about 20 min to set up properly. No biggie.

Although not the topic of the thread but still relevant if someone is looking into getting into RBs: What does a day of diving cost for a "typical" series of dives? The O2, the absorber...

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom