Question Who sells backplates optimized for single tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you trying to get people to steal stop signs? You didn't think about the consequences of sharing that link, did you? :gas: :poke::cheers::shakehead::oops:o_O:p

Go nuts.
Huw_Porter_Backplate.png

Unfortunately I don't think there's a good solution. It looks like the Golem Stream is the only true single tank BP for sale. Golem was bought out by SubGravity last year and they still make it, but they don't have any European dealers. Unless you know someone who can make one following Huw Porter's plans at Designing your own SCUBA Backplate .

I have no idea why one of the larger manufacturers hasn't picked this idea up. It seems like such an obvious way to differentiate your product and there are far more single tank than doubles divers in the world.

FWIW I've been diving single tank with BP/ W since round 2000. I've dove/ owned Halcyon, DSS, Dive Rite, never used an STA, as it is not needed. They have all been selling dedicated single tank rigs for years if my memory serves. I'm currently diving AL Dive Rite, w/o STA with no issues.

FWIW I've been diving single tank with BP/ W since round 2000. I've dove/ owned Halcyon, DSS, Dive Rite, never used an STA, as it is not needed. They have all been selling dedicated single tank rigs for years if my memory serves. I'm currently diving AL Dive Rite, w/o STA with no issues.
"Dedicated" is different than "designed for". That's the whole point of this thread. Most plates are designed for doubles which puts the tank further away from your back than necessary when diving with a single. A plate designed for singles can also be contoured to be more comfortable than a doubles plate. DSS and Freedom plates are good examples of this. I've owned both.

Look at the bend plan on the right side of the Huw Porter design 2 posts up and you can easily see the difference between plates designed for singles and doubles.

After looking at the diagram closely, i see what you mean. I really didnt know there was a difference with regard to plate contours etc for single vs doubles.

Neither my DGX or DSS backplate have a hump that gets anywhere near to meeting the doubles band center. The bands bottom down, on the wing/plate over at the tanks.

The hump is just deep enough to hide delrin spin nuts.

I don't really see any need to make them more optimized for single tank diving. Especially at the expense of not being able to use them with doubles, or a ccr.

I don't really see any need to make them more optimized for single tank diving. Especially at the expense of not being able to use them with doubles, or a ccr.
If you only dive single tank, your plate might as well be optimized for it. (or if you have enough plates to dedicate one for single tank)
Having the shoulder area very narrow, (say 3" instead of 9") such as the freedom plate, allows much more flexibility in the shoulders, making twisting between waist and shoulders much easier to look around.

Neither my DGX or DSS backplate have a hump that gets anywhere near to meeting the doubles band center. The bands bottom down, on the wing/plate over at the tanks.

The hump is just deep enough to hide delrin spin nuts.

DSS plates were optimized for single tank. This is part of the description from their old website: DeepSeaSupply - Product Detail

DSS back plate features angled harness slots and a much flatter profile than other plates. This results in greater comfort and a lower profile when used with a single tank.

Here's a 2007 thread that covers the advantages of a single tank optimized plate pretty well. Best Backplate for Single Tank

The whole point of this thread is to see if anyone else is currently doing this. I'm surprised to hear this about your DGX plate. I thought it was a conventional doubles plate.

DSS plates were optimized for single tank. This is part of the description from their old website: DeepSeaSupply - Product Detail

DSS back plate features angled harness slots and a much flatter profile than other plates. This results in greater comfort and a lower profile when used with a single tank.

Here's a 2007 thread that covers the advantages of a single tank optimized plate pretty well. Best Backplate for Single Tank

The whole point of this thread is to see if anyone else is currently doing this. I'm surprised to hear this about your DGX plate. I thought it was a conventional doubles plate.
Wow, that link sure takes us back in history quite a bit. TS&M was there along with several others that are no longer on SB. I no longer own Pacific Coast Marine, and the Freedom Plate has come a long way since 2007.
Tobin and DSS is long gone too.
Doubles plates are still not optimized for single tank diving, they never were and never will be. I don’t care how flat they are.

I no longer own Pacific Coast Marine, and the Freedom Plate has come a long way since 2007.

What do you mean? You are not making the freedom plate anymore?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom