Best Backplate for Single Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kennyscot

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What is the best backplate for single tank use. Hopefully one that doesn't require an STA. Seems that there should be more than a few. Who makes them , how much, what's the weight/material?

Kennyscot:
What is the best backplate for single tank use. Hopefully one that doesn't require an STA. Seems that there should be more than a few. Who makes them , how much, what's the weight/material?

Hi Kenny. A number of companies are now building plates that accept cam bands directly, eliminating the need for cylinder adapters. I think it would be hard to identify one or another as "best".

Most people seem to prefer stainless steel, at a weight of approximately 6 pounds. We have a sale going right now on the entire package.....plate, harness, and wings. If interested, you can use this link to take a look. Thanks.

Backplate, Harness, and Wings Special - Only $399.00

Phil Ellis

IMO....Naturally the best is the back plate tHat I use. It was about the same cost as all of tHem. It is about the same size as all of them for normal size. It is stainless (304 or 316, i dont know) and the weigHt is about the same as the rest.

The DSS plate is extremely flat (ideal for single tank diving). If used with a DSS wing, it needs no STA and retains the stability of using an STA. It also allows for weight plates. When it comes to diving doubles, I think the plates are all pretty equivalent. For singles, I find the DSS plate best.

In many cases, it is the wing that determines whether or not you need a single tank adapter.

Deep Sea Supply has a backplate design that is optimized for single tanks by having a flatter angle than most.

I dive my DSS BP/W with a steel HP-100 all the time....very stable, with a 30# bladder, very streamlined. Its a great rig and Tobin stands behind the product 100%

+1 for the DSS plate, it just plain works with a single tank like nothing else I've seen. In fact, I now own two: a kydex/ttw combo for warm water travel, and a SS/LCD 30 I use for colder travel and single tank diving locally.

Tobin has really thought out this rig, it is STA-less, stable, and simple to use.

the best back plate is the one that fits you....as mentioned above...there are a variety of plates. some like one over the other. if you can get your hands on a few to try on for size and comfort...the one that fits is the best one for you

Stephen

The STA is not evil, properly rigged they provide the lowest, most solid attachment.

The old plastic plates from the 80s work well with some small wings, use no STA and are light and rugged.

I currently like the Freedom Plate from www.pacificcoastmarine.net .

DSCF0213.jpg

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom