Best Backplate for Single Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do think Tobin's STA-less system is a very good one. His singles rig package is well-priced, and you can get a lot of advice before your purchase that will ensure that you get what will work for you and the kind of diving you are doing. If you live in Nevada, you could be diving the California coast in a dry suit and need lots of weight and prefer a SS backplate (possibly with Tobin's weight plates in addition, which are a VERY elegant way to carry some additional weight easily), or you could do nothing but warm water resort diving, in which case you would want something lighter like aluminum or Tobin's Kydex plate. One thing I'm sure of is that if you talk to Tobin, you'll get good advice.

It seems that the jetharness guy has gone out of business, but those plates are designed for single tank only....they're flat. I have one and it works really well, but you are limited to wings that will match the somewhat unconventional cam strap slots. My wing, which I bought from jetharness, is a dive-rite travel wing clone; the venture wing would also work, and I suspect there are others you could get to fit pretty well.

If you could find a jet harness plate and wing at a deal I'd recommend it, maybe there are still a few available on ebay. If you have to pay $300-350 then you might as well get one of the DSS rigs. I think I paid $80 for the plate and $120 for the wing....another $50 for cam straps and a harness and it's a very reasonable single tank set up.

Another vote for the DSS plate design

Many of us here dive the Freedom Plate. The fact that it wraps around your sides keeps it locked in place, even without a crotch strap. The tank is also located right on your back, basically touching you.

There is also the Freedom Plate II, which is what Nemrod uses. They are some of the most minimallistic plates out there.

With the tanks bands though the plate there are no failure points with bolts etc. to fail. There is a tank holder welded on, that keeps everything simple with no failure points and leaves it rock solid.

I dive mine with HP100's only, as that is all I have. My gal after hearing all of us continually talk about how great the plates are is getting her own, before her OW class. Three of us in our dive club, switched from Knighthawk's/Ladyhawk to the Freedom Plate. Many others in the club, after having tried it out also switched from their BCD's. The plate has been contagious in our club LOL Everyone is very happy with theirs.

Another vote for the DSS design.

If you don't like the DSS rig for some reason, Golem Gear makes some nice wings that don't need any STA.

Kennyscot:
What is the best backplate for single tank use. Hopefully one that doesn't require an STA. Seems that there should be more than a few. Who makes them , how much, what's the weight/material?

Kennyscot,

I dive a Freedom Backplate from Pacific Coast Marine. It's a stainless steel backplate weighing in at 5.5lbs. It has a built-in STA. It works well with most donut shapes wings--I currently have mine rigged an Oxycheq 30lb wing, webbing, and a crotch strap. I have my weights directly mounting to the belt strap using XS Scuba single weight pockets. I really like how this plate hugs my back and keeps the tank really close to my body. And the fact that the bottom of the plate is curved around my waist, it really keeps the tank wobbling around to a minimum. If you really have no interest in diving doubles, this is the backplate for you. It's $150 for the plate, $35 for the d-rings and webbing, and you have your choice of Oxycheq wings from their website or you can go out and get any other brand out there.

Check out the website at www.pacificcoastmarine.net for more info. If you have questions, the manufacturer of the plate will be more than happy to talk to you. All of the backplates are handmade by the manufacturer and if you need any customization done, they can usually accommodate you.

-eR

Two votes for Tobin, since I own two of his plates.

I too use a DSS BP/W. (Look at my avatar and gallery.) I can't say anything about the others as this is my first BP/W rig.

So add my vote for DSS.

Michael

Back
Top Bottom