Best Backplate for Single Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For doubles, any plate will do, as the tanks are what determine the height of the valves from your back. For singles, the flatter the plate, the closer to your back, as the tank rests (directly or indirectly) on the ridge. That being the case, you can understand why I bought a DSS plate, eh? :D

I agree with you clayjar about the ridge. It is not needed on a singles tank and is detrimental to positioning the tank optimally. I understand why it is there for doubles as is the "squarish" shape of the plate for doubles but for a single tank the square shape and the center ridge are not needed. I was experimenting with some left over Lexan from another project and used it to mock up a few plates. I made a flat, narrow plate similar to the Jett Plate and it felt good but was somewhat restrictive of narrow wings like the Mach V--not leaving much room for the wing to inflate. I cut it down a bit more and it was still comfortable and the wing could inflate. The wing was attached--for mock up purposes using a countersunk 1/4 screws and a stainless rivnut into the STA with a stainless spacer of approz 1/4 inch to allow for the grommets in the Oxy Mach V. I may still cut such a plate from aluminum stock for further experimentation, I have bandsaws and other "shop" equipment. Thing is that I came across the wonderful Freedom Plate and I really like the ergonomic minimalist design. It really hugs my back and feels secure even with no crotch strap. I did add a small one inch crotch strap but I leave it fairly loose so the tank cannot whack me in the head in unusual circumstances.

Now here is an old time plate from the old days, I borrowed the pic from ebay. This is a typical backplate from the 60s era. Yep--there were plates around back then despite what you newbies think (just teasing--I was a baby then).

a1ba_0.jpg

Note that the plate is flat and yes this is a doubles plate but there were similar plates for singles, just more narrow. The odd cutout in the top of the plate is so that the then common and still superior double hose regulator could nest snugly in place. This is similar to what I have been mocking up.

N

i currently have a SS halcyon eclipse and love diving a single 95 with it. since i'm usually in a 5mm my weight is just how i like it

i will admit i have been looking at a dss plate though since at 6'5" the waist strap on the harness runs a bit high ... their offering of longer plates is tempting

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom