Question Who sells backplates optimized for single tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lowwall

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'd like to put together a list of backplates specifically designed for single tank rigs. Obviously a standard (i.e. doubles) plate will work, but from personal experience a plate optimized for single tank is less bulky in a suitcase, more streamlined underwater, and less tippy with larger tanks. I'm not looking for fabric plates, but you can list them if you feel like it :)

Here's the ones I know of.

First for historical interest:
DIY:
New plates for sale today

Is there actually a difference?? A back plate is a back plate.

It is literally just that, where thing become different is wing sizes, and some will require a singe tank adapter. But once again all this has nothing to do with the back plate.

The only thing I can think of that would make a back plate not a single tank back plate is is if you wanted to run the cam bands through the back plate and not a STA and your back plate did not have cam band slots. But once again its still a back plate and you would just use a STA.

I'd like to put together a list of backplates specifically designed for single tank rigs. ... Here's the ones I know of. ...
For anyone interested in going old-school, pick up a used blow-molded plastic backpack from ebay or your local Play-It-Again-Sports. These continue to work just fine. Weave some new nylon webbing through it, if you want. I think there might be new-production versions of these backpacks available to public safety divers, etc.--but I'm not sure about this.

rx7diver

Is there actually a difference?? A back plate is a back plate.

It is literally just that, where thing become different is wing sizes, and some will require a singe tank adapter. But once again all this has nothing to do with the back plate.

The only thing I can think of that would make a back plate not a single tank back plate is is if you wanted to run the cam bands through the back plate and not a STA and your back plate did not have cam band slots. But once again its still a back plate and you would just use a STA.
That's because you haven't dived a single tank backplate (with single tanks obviously). It gets the tank an inch closer to your back if you aren't using an STA on the doubles plate, closer to 2 inches if you are. It's not a big deal, but you can feel it: especially with larger tanks.

For anyone interested in going old-school, pick up a used blow-molded plastic backpack from ebay or your local Play-It-Again-Sports. These continue to work just fine. Weave some new nylon webbing through it, if you want. I think there might be new-production versions of these backpacks available to public safety divers, etc.--but I'm not sure about this.

rx7diver
I thought about adding those, but the ones I remember looking at used 1" webbing. But I just did an actual search and you are correct. There are plenty of versions currently for sale that work with 2" webbing. Here's one for $11!

I thought about adding those, but the ones I remember looking at used 1" webbing. But I just did an actual search and you are correct. There are plenty of versions that work with 2" webbing.
Yes, I purchased one (a Seatec) from a local used sporting goods store, for my then preteenaged daughters to use with scuba in my parents' backyard pool ~12 years ago.

I repurposed the single-piece webbing from my old Dive Rite Al doubles plate to use with the backpack.

I still have the backpack. Trouble is, I eventually will be using my Dive Rite plate for my new baby doubles, but (of course) the webbing is too short now (because I cut it short for my daughters).

rx7diver

Check the "Aluminium Aero" and the "Aluminium Bone" backplates at the bottom of this page:

I've been using a DiveRite SS backplate for years as a singles backplate with no issues, STA not required.

Reactions: Zef
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom