Question Who sells backplates optimized for single tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a small flat backplate that is a dedicated single tank plate as well, but uses a STA. That was necessitated by design. The tank is still close to the divers back with maybe 1/2" offset. Of course this is size specific.

I've been using a DiveRite SS backplate for years as a singles backplate with no issues, STA not required.
This is true and works well. I ran 117's for a long time without a STA. A smidge wobbly but no problems.

The Vintage Plate mentioned will work for modern single hose. Is it optimized for it? No. The crossing of the harness can be an issue for some. If you have an adjustable harness, you could easily go between modern and vintage setups.
I have a 'modern' version of this ready that is not crossed and uses tank straps alone to secure or you can use the tank wedges, but have not made a run yet as I think it maybe overlooked by most due to fact that a traditional plate will work as @Searcaigh pointed out and they are everywhere.
It would shine in the travel category though...I could be wrong.

There are plenty of versions currently for sale that work with 2" webbing. Here's one for $11!

I used one of these blow-molded plastic plates backpacks with a wing for decades until I got a Freedom Plate.

AtPacWing.jpg

The only downside is you may have to cut a new slot in your wing for the strap and it only supports one strap. That said, I never had a strap fail. Great for travel or cold water.

Is there actually a difference?? A back plate is a back plate.

It is literally just that, where thing become different is wing sizes, and some will require a singe tank adapter. But once again all this has nothing to do with the back plate.

The only thing I can think of that would make a back plate not a single tank back plate is is if you wanted to run the cam bands through the back plate and not a STA and your back plate did not have cam band slots. But once again its still a back plate and you would just use a STA.

There was with the Deep Sea Supply plates. The backplates we know today originated to deal with doubles and the bend angle is optimized to sit in the channel between the tanks. Dive Rite invented the single tank adapter for Lamar's wife and with the bend of a standard doubles plate it stands the tank quite far from the divers back. DSS saw an opportunity and reduced the bend angle of the plate and designed the wing to have an integrated STA which brings the tank about 2" close to your back which is significant when you are walking around at the surface. Underwater it does make you a bit more stable since the mass is closer to your body but on land it is very noticeable.
With most wings using roll control bars these days, there is less of benefit to the flat plates unless you use a double hose

I have a small flat backplate that is a dedicated single tank plate as well, but uses a STA. That was necessitated by design. The tank is still close to the divers back with maybe 1/2" offset. Of course this is size specific.

This is true and works well. I ran 117's for a long time without a STA. A smidge wobbly but no problems.

The Vintage Plate mentioned will work for modern single hose. Is it optimized for it? No. The crossing of the harness can be an issue for some. If you have an adjustable harness, you could easily go between modern and vintage setups.
I have a 'modern' version of this ready that is not crossed and uses tank straps alone to secure or you can use the tank wedges, but have not made a run yet as I think it maybe overlooked by most due to fact that a traditional plate will work as @Searcaigh pointed out and they are everywhere.
It would shine in the travel category though...I could be wrong.
I changed the link to your page with both plates.

I hope you don't mind, but I have a couple of suggestions on the Small plate. First, change the name to Compact or Flat or Single Tank or Travel or something. I didn't include it originally because I thought it was meant only for kids or small adults. Second, since you have to use it with an STA, you should make a package with the small plate, the STA and the correct bolts.

As to the market viability of a modern version of your Vintage plate... Who knows? But neither Eric nor Tobin stopped due to a lack of orders.

The small plate is meant for smaller stature divers. I messed around with it and its too small for me (5'9").
So maybe not include it in your list.
I used to call it Compact, but the name change is due SEO issues and what it actually is, so I changed it.

As far as the STA, its not specific to the plate. I didnt offer a package because a lot of folks already have one. However, I think you are right and will have it as discounted option when purchasing the plate. I run similar options for reels.
Thanks for your input.

Like many have said, is there any difference?

The difference may not be so much is size, but in weight, which may be, what you’re looking for.

For double tank rig, a stiff stainless steel backplate would work better than a aluminum backplate, especially an aluminum backplates with many cutouts, which make them even lighter, BUT more likely to bend or deform.

Maybe that’s what you’re looking for…… a lighter weight aluminum backplate with lots of cutouts.

Like many have said, is there any difference?

The bent double plates perch the single tank above a channel and then some use an STA which further pushes the cylinder from the divers back raising the divers CG and increasing the roll moment if the tank is negative. The standard bent doubles plate also forces the cylinder higher up behind the divers head because the center being bent outward runs into the first stage if the cylinder is lowered to a more balanced postion. And to continue, if not using an STA the cylinder tends to flop and roll side to side even when equipped with stabilizer pads which often fall to one side or the other of the raised, bent channel.

Regarding cylinder placement to the plate, in addition to the bent channel interfering in some cases with the first stage, most (especially those using a STA) the upper cam band is precariously close to or falls of the shoulder of the tank as below thus forcing the cylinder way up behind the head. Compare this example with my VDH single plate below:

Yes, there is a difference and you can see it and feel it in the water.

I have not used this modified version of the VDH plate but it is very similar, the maker of it seems to have already spoken but they show on the website:

There is also the Oxy Ultralite plate:

Plates can be skelontonized, dogboned, drilled and cut full of holes but if they have the raised center channel designed for double tanks they are just that, a doubles plate.

The blow molded plates are not optimal because they have but one cam band though I suppose you could partly defeat the purpose of simplification and low CG by adding an STA and then have the tank forced up high behind the divers head as explained above.

James

The bent double plates perch the single tank above a channel and then some use an STA which further pushes the cylinder from the divers back raising the divers CG and increasing the roll moment if the tank is negative. The standard bent doubles plate also forces the cylinder higher up behind the divers head because the center being bent outward runs into the first stage if the cylinder is lowered to a more balanced postion. And to continue, if not using an STA the cylinder tends to flop and roll side to side even when equipped with stabilizer pads which often fall to one side or the other of the raised, bent channel.

Regarding cylinder placement to the plate, in addition to the bent channel interfering in some cases with the first stage, most (especially those using a STA) the upper cam band is precariously close to or falls of the shoulder of the tank as below thus forcing the cylinder way up behind the head. Compare this example with my VDH single plate below:

Yes, there is a difference and you can see it and feel it in the water.

I have not used this modified version of the VDH plate but it is very similar, the maker of it seems to have already spoken but they show on the website:

There is also the Oxy Ultralite plate:

Plates can be skelontonized, dogboned, drilled and cut full of holes but if they have the raised center channel designed for double tanks they are just that, a doubles plate.

The blow molded plates are not optimal because they have but one cam band though I suppose you could partly defeat the purpose of simplification and low CG by adding an STA and then have the tank forced up high behind the divers head as explained above.

James
Is it the single cam band and not two can bands that is problematic, or the location of the cam band itself? A lot of BCs have only one true cam band while some might have a second band that is used to position the tank but not too truly hold it tight.

The standard bent doubles plate also forces the cylinder higher up behind the divers head because the center being bent outward runs into the first stage if the cylinder is lowered to a more balanced postion.
I am really struggling to understand what you're saying here. A "standard" bent plate bends away from the tank, offering more clearance. I see that something like the plate linked at subsea above has a cutout, which I could see giving more first stage clearance, and as such, allow the tank to mount lower, but I don't see how the plate bend comes into play. What am I missing?

I am really struggling to understand what you're saying here. A "standard" bent plate bends away from the tank, offering more clearance. I see that something like the plate linked at subsea above has a cutout, which I could see giving more first stage clearance, and as such, allow the tank to mount lower, but I don't see how the plate bend comes into play. What am I missing?

It is the center channel that is bent towards the tank that perches the tank up away form the diver and also the center channel can interfere with the regulator first stage unless the tank is boosted way up as in the photo with the Halycon set up.

Regarding the cam bands, both of my plates use two cam bands but the upper cam band is much lower so that when the cylinder is dropped down the upper cam band still remains below the cylinder shoulder. With most STAs the upper camband is way up high forcing the cylinder also way up high so that the upper camband remains below the cylinder shoulder.

The photos I posted show the difference, note the top of the plate relative to the first stage, mine is just at the bottom of the first stage and the Halycon is several inches below. That is one of the differences between a doubles plate and a true single tank plate.

I played around with this stuff for years. I cut my own plates trying to get what I wanted and not being a glutton for punishment when Eric offered me a Freedom Plate and then my friend at VDH produced the VDH plate I ceased cutting and grinding (for now). Both the Oxy Plate, Freedom Plate and the VDH Plate (and clones) allow the cylinder to sit much lower in the cam bands and retain the functionality/stability of two cam bands.

We say we are minimalist, at least I do, the center channel serves no purpose with a single tank therefore it needs to go away, it is a complication that can cause slippage, rolling and interferes with the divers optimal trim.

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom