Question Who sells backplates optimized for single tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The following image and caption are from Huw Porter's Stainless Steel Single-tank SCUBA Backplate where the author is comparing a single tank plate he designed to a standard Halcyon backplate with STA:

IMGP2260.JPG

Here, the backplates are flat against the floor, using Oxycheq single tank wings with identical centre sections.

I am of the opinion that the optimum plate for doubles or singles conforms to the back like the old injection molded backpacks from the 1960s and 70s, which the Freedom plate emulates:

1660247337338.png

1660247369612.png

The biggest downside is they are bulky and take up more space in a dive bag. That said, they were far more comfortable because some of the weight was distributed to the hips.

This is my travel setup form Deep 6:

I travel with a SS BP (one of the early versions with the nicer finish/graphics). The wing dries faster than canvas. With a 5 mm wetsuit, I don't need any extra weight and trim out nicely with an AL80.

While a backplate is a backplate, Pavel of Helium Dive Gear explained to me a long time ago that the difference in price is due to the amount of time on the machine. The nicer finish, particularly edges, the more time on the machine and the higher cost. I do have one of HDG's titanium place. Wasn't cheap, but super nice for diving with no exposure protection.

I am of the opinion that the optimum plate for doubles or singles conforms to the back like the old injection molded backpacks from the 1960s and 70s, which the Freedom plate emulates:

View attachment 737615

View attachment 737616

The biggest downside is they are bulky and take up more space in a dive bag. That said, they were far more comfortable because some of the weight was distributed to the hips.
I actually got one of those from @Andrew Dawson. I plan on putting it on a mannequin in my dive shop.

It is the center channel that is bent towards the tank that perches the tank up away form the diver and also the center channel can interfere with the regulator first stage unless the tank is boosted way up as in the photo with the Halycon set up.
I'm 100% on-board with what you're saying about the center channel displacing the tank further away from the diver (in the Z direction if the diver is in horizontal trim). Much like how an STA would further displace it in that direction.

I still don't see how this center channel effects the the placement in the X direction, if the diver is in horizontal trim. The cutout in the flat plate you posted would definitely help, but the same cutout could be put on a bent plate. It is completely independent of the center channel. In theory, I could go to one of my bent plates and make a relief cut there and achieve the same thing.

What we really need is for @Eric Sedletzky to start making Freedom Plates again. Eric, what happened with your experiments using lighter gauge steel for a lightweight plate. Lower material cost (?) and less strenuous to form seems like a winning formula to me. There's certainly demand.

To cut your work time per plate, how about a DIY version that's fully formed but unfinished? If I didn't already have one, I'd be happy to spend some time filing edges if that was the only way to get a plate.

This is my travel setup form Deep 6:

Hmmm. The second pic shows the PB/W mounted too far down the cylinder, I think--like the pic that @Nemrod shared. Curious ...

ETA: Attached now are a couple of old pics (c. 2010) that show how my SS Freedom Plate and Halcyon 27# Pioneer wings sit on my steel 72 with SP Mark 10 1st stages attached.

rx7diver

Attachments

• Y_Valve_20100829a.jpg
    Y_Valve_20100829a.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 62
  • 1660253468808.jpeg
    1660253468808.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 74
I actually got one of those from @Andrew Dawson. I plan on putting it on a mannequin in my dive shop.

On a related note, the doubles bands that the Voit pack used has had a few great features. I hope this explains it:
  1. The band itself was 2"/50mm wide and only 25 gauge/0.0209"/0.531mm thick.
  2. One end of the band was permanently attached to the center stamping (3) and the other had busing or boss (#5) that attached with a small nut.
  3. The center stamping was much heavy stainless and supported the 5/16-UNC stud that a special nut on the backpack engaged.
  4. The boss at the end of the band.
1660252707215.png

One of the advantages is the center stamping very accurately controls the distance between the cylinders, unlike conventional bands. I add a plastic spacer on conventional bands to control spacing and force cylinders parallel.

1660253471938.png

Hmmm. The second pic shows the PB/W mounted too far down the cylinder, I think--like the pic that @Nemrod shared. Curious ...
Lazy photographer? @LandonL fire that person!

ETA: Attached now are a couple of old pics (c. 2010) that show how my SS Freedom Plate and Halcyon 27# Pioneer wings sit on my steel 72 with SP Mark 10 1st stages attached.

rx7diver
I found I need to set up my system like that to maintain trim. If I put my tank lower, my feet sink a bit.
Tried different configs and weight placements in the pool, but this way works for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom